Phantis Forums

Alexandros Tzorvas (retired)

js1000

• 4 weeks later...

Tzorvas is already under pressure at Palermo having made a big mistake against Atalanta as Palermo lost 1-0. He was beaten way too easily at his near post and the Italian media has called him the weak link of the team. Palermo have jumped to his defence saying "everyone makes mistakes". Personally I can't see his stay there being a success. In a league renowned for producing world class keepers Tzorvas is simply out of his depth, however this is a bit premature isn't it? :blink: I mean he's played 2 games!

Personally I can't see his stay there being a success. In a league renowned for producing world class keepers Tzorvas is simply out of his depth, however this is a bit premature isn't it? :blink: I mean he's played 2 games!

to be honest with you mate i thought he was out of his depth at PAO. i've never rated tzorvas however i really hope he gets it together and proves me wrong.

Yeah. To be honest I've never really thought highly of him because he seemed to have a problem with dealing with high balls. In the last year or so his fairly solid ground game seems to have deteriorated too! Sifakis is def the better of the 2 and if I was Greece manager i'd have Chiotis and Eleftheropoulos above him in the pecking order too. Hopefully he learns a thing or too in Italy

after playing in the "super"league for so long I can imagine it would be extremely difficult to adapt immediately to a much better and more competitive league as serie a..lets not forgot tzorva is 29, hes not so young to be able to adapt and learn more quickly. despite this i think he will do well in italy, not great, but well enough to retain the starting position at a club like palermo, that will probably finish mid-table.

he has some serious negatives, but also some good positives that will become evident probably once he gets more settled in. its always difficult for a player to change leagues and adapt, i think its wrong of the italians to get at his throat so soon. he still has an opportunity to grow, he is 29 and fortunately for a keeper that is still not a bad age considering they can play well into their 30s. many keepers are like wines, getting better with age..

hopefully he can improve in italy on what euro has pointed out. personally tho, i dont think tzorva is any worst then elefteropoulo or chioti although they have the edge on him experience wise

pao123 you're right that players need time to attack but he's a goalkeeper and usually goalkeepers only really struggle to adapt when the style of play is completely different. That is to say, if a Spanish or Italian keeper moves to the Prem he might struggle to adapt to the constant aerial balls into his box. However moving from Italy to Spain isn't such a big culture clash, it's simply a step up in class. The goal he was criticised for was because he was beaten at his near post with a low drive. Of course criticism is premature, but there's no excuse for that at any level in any league. The difference is simply that he'll be under more pressure to perform now so I think he'll be found out. I really hope he makes it but I just don't think he's good enough. Chiotis is better in my opinion because despite being small and also having some issues with aerial balls, he's a match winner. He has numerous inspired games every season where he wins the match for APOEL. Eleftheropoulos' edge may very well be because he's more experienced, but his career has been one long failure really so I would hope Tzorvas does better.

@GS, worst case scenario he returns to PAO, he won't drop to Ergotelis level.

pace of play also makes a big difference and adds to adapting difficulties. even for keepers..the fact that he got beaten near post, through the legs also has to do with anticipation, which is more difficult in a faster pace league. for instance, in greece most striker need to take the extra step to set their form before they release their shot, allowing keepers the extra second to position themselves better and better anticipate the strike and its direction. where as in serie a, alot of striker are quality enough to release the ball mid stride or unexpectedly, something we rarely see in players on mid/low level clubs, but something that is very important in finishing plays in more quality leagues. its just an example, not to say denis' shot was all too difficult to stop but denis, who scored the goal for atalanta, is a striker that would probably start on aek and paok and probably even for olympiakos and pao.

you are also right about the pressure aspect, facing a club like inter or even atalanta or cagliari is more competitive than lets say facing a mid to low level greek league club..i think that once he finds his feet and gets used to the pace of play at this level, his reflexes and anticipation will improve and he will be a relative success in the league...this may all be wishful thinking though. the pressures of playing for a serie a club are high and as we all know, patience is not the name of the game in football anymore. people want to see immediate results and if they are not performed, facing the axe is very likely..

he actually did very well today really helping palermo keep a clean sheet and a draw against lazio. made some very impressive saves, especially one of cisse's strikes late in the match..

lets hope he keeps it up to this standard...

Yes I am glad he played well as he got some negative criticism in his last match.

Also he is 99% likely to be the starting GK against Croatia unless Santos pull a surprise with Chiotis so It is good he has some form.

pace of play also makes a big difference and adds to adapting difficulties. even for keepers..the fact that he got beaten near post, through the legs also has to do with anticipation, which is more difficult in a faster pace league. for instance, in greece most striker need to take the extra step to set their form before they release their shot, allowing keepers the extra second to position themselves better and better anticipate the strike and its direction. where as in serie a, alot of striker are quality enough to release the ball mid stride or unexpectedly, something we rarely see in players on mid/low level clubs, but something that is very important in finishing plays in more quality leagues. its just an example, not to say denis' shot was all too difficult to stop but denis, who scored the goal for atalanta, is a striker that would probably start on aek and paok and probably even for olympiakos and pao.

you are also right about the pressure aspect, facing a club like inter or even atalanta or cagliari is more competitive than lets say facing a mid to low level greek league club..i think that once he finds his feet and gets used to the pace of play at this level, his reflexes and anticipation will improve and he will be a relative success in the league...this may all be wishful thinking though. the pressures of playing for a serie a club are high and as we all know, patience is not the name of the game in football anymore. people want to see immediate results and if they are not performed, facing the axe is very likely..

This post could be the most informative and didactic post in these Forums!! ever!!

Great post!! :nw: :nw: :nw:

When you flip the coin, it also gives us some thought on why some strikers are only very successful in specific leagues, i feel..

Why was Shevchenko a disaster in England? Was it merely a loss of form, or a change of system, or that the EPL came a touch too fast for him after years in Italy?

Why was Sergiy Rebrov a disaster in England? solely because he didn't possess the ability to adapt to a different lifestyle? or again EPL, being too fast for him, thus affecting his number of touches before a strike?

Even if he was much more successful compared to those two strikers' abroad stints, why did Nuno Gomes's goal per game ratio fell from 0.76 in Portugal with Benfica to 0.43 in Italy with ACF Fiorentina? Style of play, number of adjusting touches??

Examples can be multiplied...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

palermo signed viviano for inter, putting tzorva further down the pecking order...he has stated that he will not leave the club after being linked with lecce, atalanta and catania.

however, since his last start in palermo 3-0 loss to juventus, the club have registered 1 win, 2 draws and 5 losses. :blink:

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Argy changed the title to Alexandros Tzorvas (retired)

Archived