Phantis Forums

ERT announces new plan; major overhaul coming

Major announcement today about the future of ERT. Among the highlights, ET1, Cine+, and Sport+ are GONE, along with a number of regional radio stations.

NET, ET3, ERT HD, Prisma+, and ERT World remain, although the formats will be changed and/or programing enhanced in most cases. As for ERT World, they are promising to focus on improving the quality of programing, taking into account the needs of the omogenia audience. (based on research) You can read the full details below:

WOW, that is quite the plan- a total overhaul of the entire organization it seems?!

Now the question remains whether they will actually follow through and make these changes?! I noticed that there is no mention on when ET-1 and the radio stations will be shutting down?! Are these changes effective immediately or will they be phased in over a period of time?!

I think its good that they are streamlining things, it appears that this organization (just like every other government organization) has become a little too bloated thus its time to trim some fat. No need for a country the size of Greece to have 3 public TV channels nor as many radio stations as ERT have.

Regarding ERT World, if they are seriously going to take into consideration the needs of the omogenia then the first change I would like to see is the implementation of their plan to split ERT World into 3 feeds, each one with its own schedule that is based on the LOCAL time zone not Greek time! :angry: Perhaps they should do an online survey asking the omogenia what they would like to see in ERT World, we are the ones who are watching AND paying for this channel so our views should be taken into consideration before they make any changes IMO.

Perhaps they should do an online survey asking the omogenia what they would like to see in ERT World

That would be the smart thing to do instead of relying on their private surveys which only poll a small group of people from who knows where. They should create an online survey like you suggest, and run a commercial on ERT World advising people to visit the site and take the survey in order to get input from most of their audience. Of course they are not smart enough to do something like that.....Then again, maybe they just don't have the resources for something like that. After all it will basically keep the same format, just upgrading the quality of programing. So I wouldn't look for a dramatic transformation of ERT World. Again, this is something we will just have to wait and see how it will turn out....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still no word on when ET-1 will be shutting down?! It appears that there is fight going on in parliament with the opposition opposed to the shut down while the government is sticking to their guns and adamant that they will follow through with their plans for ERT. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and whether ET-1 actually does shut down because right now all I see is a lot of talk and no action.

ERT announced a new English-language newscast called "NEWS4U" to be launched on October 3rd on ERT World. I guess this is the start of their "changes" to the channel, although they already had an English-language newscast in the past to begin with....

ERT world:

• 1 month later...

More information on some of the changes coming to ERT World. It says they are planning on implementing the localized streams by the end of the year, let's see if they actually go through with it. There are also plans to create an English-language programing block in the future.

I will believe the local feeds are coming when I see them. How many times have they announced that they will be implementing localized schedules yet they are still nowhere to be found. These guys are all talk and no action, make the damn changes already! :angry:

As for the English programming, I do not like this notion of creating an entire block of English language programming and I am fairly certain that this will not be well received by viewers, especially the older folk. Perhaps they are trying to turn ERT World into a channel aimed at youth instead of all of the Greek omogenia?! I think they forget that we here in North America pay for this channel and do not receive it FTA like the rest of the world- how many will continue to subscribe if they add all this English programming to the schedule, I for one will not be interested in this channel anymore if these changes go ahead. :tdown:

• 2 weeks later...

ERT launched a new call for bids for the ERT World rights.

http://www.paron.gr/typologies/?p=13274

I wonder who is going to submit a bid?! I would like to see PCCW Global get the rights as they were doing a good job and had signed many different distribution deals around the world before the whole rights debacle sprouted up and everything went to hell. :angry: If they are awarded the rights then we just might finally see a FTA Ku Band feed for North America and cable distribution for those in the USA. The outcome of this process may also impact the distribution of ERT World on Home2US as right now GMG has the rights (supposedly) which is why its available on that platform.

Hopefully it will be a fair process this time around and not another fix job where the highest bribe wins?! ;)

• 2 months later...

Looks like the ERT board voted the other day to keep ET1 open. http://www.paron.gr/typologies/?p=16011

Meanwhile they confirmed today that they are closing down their digital channels. Prisma+ will be merged into ET1, Info+ will be closed, while Sport/Cine+ will stop broadcasting as a digital channel. The previous press release mentioned something about Sport/Cine+ becoming a satellite channel, but there is no further information on it.

http://www.paron.gr/typologies/?p=16173

So basically nothing has happened so far, it figures these guys move at a snails pace. Still no sign of the different feeds yet for ERT World?! :rolleyes:

I don't see anything happening anytime soon due to the current political situation in Greece, namely the 'coalition' that is currently in place that features members from various parties. Each party has different views on ERT and what to do with it and the end result is a stalemate- nothing gets accomplished. This will probably continue until elections are held and a proper government is put in place, of course who knows what that will happen?!

The distribution rights have been awarded to PCCW Global world wide and to Greek Media Group for North America.

ERT World will stay on both platforms Dish network and Home2US.

Antenna Satellite, ERT World, Alpha Sat are back broadcasting on Echostar 12-15 at 61.5 W.

DKSat

Interesting information, I hope they will start expanding ERT World's availability. I guess it's safe to assume we won't see ERT World FTA on KU-band anytime soon though... <_<

Regarding the Greek channels on Dish, I thought they were moving all internationals away from 61.5?

Regarding the Greek channels on Dish, When they were doing the re- point and the upgrades from 61 to 118 there were lots off Greek customers that can see the western arc satellite at 118 w.

Dish up ling the channels back at 61 so they do not get lots of cancellation from there Greek customers .

DKSat

Interesting information, I hope they will start expanding ERT World's availability.

I wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon- take a look at MEGA Cosmos, thus far it is only available on 2 cable providers (Cablevision & RCN). Its still not available on Comcast & Time Warner, the two largest cable companies in the United States. I don't think cable & IPTV distribution are a priority for GMG, they want people to subscribe to their Greek package on Home2US.

I am surprised that ERT World will remain on Dish Network now that Greek Media Group have the distribution rights?! I would have thought they would make it exclusive to Home2US?!

I am surprised that ERT World will remain on Dish Network now that Greek Media Group have the distribution rights?!  I would have thought they would make it exclusive to Home2US?!

They probably can't justify a decision to ERT to take it off a profitable platform for no apparent reason, when it can be on multiple platforms and make them even more money.

Archived