Phantis Forums

AEK Transfer Talk

george21

I wouldnt think we had 3 holes either, if we had a capable medical team. But knowing our medical staff, our luck, and a deteriorating OAKA field. I think we have a hole in the CB position as I dont rate Lampropoulo or Artho, and a potential hole on the left if there is an injury or if Barbosa continues to underperform. At minimum I think we needed 2 serious transfers to make a run at the title. Look even now were good but were gonna have to be lucky as the two ends of our line up (offense and defense) are thin, depth wise.

Soiledis Barbosa Grontis Vargas can all play on the left. If necessary Buonannotte can play on the left with Galo or Bakakis playing on the right. We have many versatile players for the wing positions. I think we are set their but again, we should be going after Vlachodimos who was released a few days ago and is a free agent, low risk high reward signing that can add depth. Another body wouldn't hurt and he can't be any worse than Barbosa.

I agree on Center Backs, If Kolovetsios or Tzanetopoulos go down we will have a problem unless Arzo starts to prove himself in practice.

I think proving yourself in practice and in a match is different I will refrain from judging him until I see him play.

Still very disappointing not to have signed a striker, why dont they go all out and try for Berba ffs, He will probably be looking for a 2 year contract, im sure even a 1+1 could be agreed on, however Berba is ghe one on control.

Is it true that the deal for Lafferty didn't go through for the extra $100k? If so that's abit of a m*****a!!!!

George21 agree with what you say no doubt and surely they can spend abit extra that wont put us into debt.

The article you posted says they want a team to challenge for the title, not win it... Anyway lets just hope we get a striker which is now looking very doubtful. Why not go get Salpi? He could surely offer us something upfront......

Above it says Berba is free, even if he cost $3mill for instance would they not make that money back in a year with shirt and ticket sales?

This is what I was complaining about, that our board are not willing to pay anything for players, well this is what you get, even Pao have gone out and spent at least 1 mil on transfers this year on players. And this stock exchange I dont know, I really do believe we can spend money, if thats so how come our basketball team started spending money straight away and they went through bankruptcy too. Look we are not even close to oly this year, That could have been different if we signed a top class striker but we didn't. Plus we also needed another cb but we didn't go forward with that, if tzanetopoulos or kolovetsios get injured were screwed. Anyway very disappointed we didn't sign anyone, our hopes to compete this year look very slim. 

The truth is, in order for the SL to get the attention of Europe, it needs to develop talent and be able to showcase that talent in Europe.  The further a club goes in Europe, it is understood that they must have talent.  Once the major clubs start buying that talent and it translates well in their league, then the SL will be taken more seriously.  In the last few years, OLY has been the only club that has done this with some degree of success (getting fees excess of $10 million).  The other SL clubs have not gotten anything close.  I am a PAO fan, have been every since I was a little kid bc of my dad, however, what's good for the SL is exposure in Europe and if that happens to be because OLY goes far in the CL, than be it.  Remember, if OLY does well, than interest in the SL will also increase.  Same thing goes for any of the clubs in the EL.  A rising tide raises all ships. 

Reaper as much as it kills me to say this as a PAO fan but you're spot on. I'm not going to be stubborn or bias. Panathinaikos IS a dying brand, just a shadow of its previous glory (Getting eliminated by Azeri's who wear Islam logo's on their shirts). If they took the Gamma Ethniki path a couple years back I'm confident they'd be better today. Give Aris 3 years, they'll be strong. Look at AEK now.

Sorry Reaper nothing can be furthest from the truth....AEK is hurting just like the rest of the SL...By the minute the SL, is losing its customers....Reaper the numbers don't lie...The t.v. viewers are down 40 percent, resulting in 70 million less revenues....The tickets have been dropped by 50 percent, Even Olympiakos had to drop them this year....This league hasn't started sinking yet....When PAO finally pulls the plug, you will finally realize!!!

AEK isn't hurting, AEK is thriving, that's why I'm demanding that we spend more money.

• Like it 1

Sorry AEK is not thriving!

I see a team that's debt free, thats self sufficient, that has reformed itself on and off the field to avoid previous mistakes, and I see the best AEK team since 2008 on the field. Your team is not thriving, stop trying to drag down AEK with your team to make yourself feel better.

• Like it 1

jvc AEK looks alot better than us. 2013-2015 they turned from an amateur s**** youth team, to a very competitive title challenging club with an impressive roster. Panathinaikos is a mess. If we took the drop to Gamma Ethniki we'd be better off today. They only reason we didn't is because losing aek AND pao would be a big blow on the league. Dellas was a blessing, Anstasiou is questionable. Also, how much money has AEK spent on their roster compared to ours? Tipota. Very conservative with their transfers. Meanwhile we spend a million buying and injury plagued, aged Essien.

^^^ Also we're not so financially healthy, AEK is. I love PAO but all bias aside AEK look ALOT better than us.

Edited by Ethnikos
  • Like it 1

I'm stating facts, AEK is thriving for the first time since the 90s. We are no longer in debt, off the field we are outstanding, we are about to have a third year in a row with profits, the stadium issue is almost resolved, the on field product is improving everyday, we have a great coach with a determined team.

The only mistake was with the striker situation but that will be resolved in January. It doesn't really matter because after the signings Olympiakos made yesterday we can not compete with them even if we did sign a striker. When our team gets fully fit we will be the front runners for second place, Panathinaikos has a circus of a defense, PAOK is uknown, Asteras is weaker than last year.

jvc how is AEK hurting? I don't buy into that.

For the first time in years I and many others I can say actually enjoy watching the team play with that brand of football, we have a good young coach who wants to get us to the top, we have good harmony within our team and our management is taking AEK in a direction we haven't been in for many many years. We may not get to the top today but the way we are heading we will get there very soon.

Yes we can say they didn't spend what was needed but the players they have brought in have made us stronger not weaker, we have depth all over the park except that striker position. Meli has never been one to splash money on anyone, he doesn't want a repeat of the old AEK who just spent on anyone and got into the mess they did. It was a blessing for us to gown down, I said it many times we needed to drop, 2 years of pain wasn't going to hurt us anymore than the hurt we had experienced the last few years.

As for the corruption, we can all bitch and moan about it but fact is nothing will be done and it will continue to happen and all AEK has to do is focus on themselves get the results needed and hope for the best.

jvc how is AEK hurting? I don't buy into that.

For the first time in years I and many others I can say actually enjoy watching the team play with that brand of football, we have a good young coach who wants to get us to the top, we have good harmony within our team and our management is taking AEK in a direction we haven't been in for many many years. We may not get to the top today but the way we are heading we will get there very soon.

Yes we can say they didn't spend what was needed but the players they have brought in have made us stronger not weaker, we have depth all over the park except that striker position. Meli has never been one to splash money on anyone, he doesn't want a repeat of the old AEK who just spent on anyone and got into the mess they did. It was a blessing for us to gown down, I said it many times we needed to drop, 2 years of pain wasn't going to hurt us anymore than the hurt we had experienced the last few years.

As for the corruption, we can all bitch and moan about it but fact is nothing will be done and it will continue to happen and all AEK has to do is focus on themselves get the results needed and hope for the best.

ILet me give you a example, ARIS squad in 2010....Would totally destroy AEK and PAO today, so in reality we're not really playing in the big leagues, the super league is closer to B level than A level.

Do you really believe the s%$#! you post, this is so wrong it's not even funny. I'll say it again, THE REST OF THE LEAGUE HAS IMPROVED SINCE 2010 EXCEPT FOR PANATHINAIKOS. AEK and PAOK are financially stable for the first time ever, Asteras Atromitos Panaitolikos and Xanthi free great competition, Olympiakos has a very good team. Just stop, your argument is wrong.

• Like it 1

jvc you are saying the league is sinking, I agree there are things that can be done better but teams are still able to bring in big name players like Cambiasso, Essien, Diego and now Berba at PAOK. Would you be saying all this if PAO was champions and the strongest in the league? It wouldn't bother you at all because your team would be winning things and you wouldn't care about the rest and how they are travelling.

We are getting teams in Europe who never got there before and yes it maybe because AEK/Aris and others have been below par, but these teams that have made Europe showed consistency all season long and earned their spot in Europe. Now whether they perform well in Europe or not is another thing but in reality not many Greek teams progress from their groups in Europe so it doesn't make a difference.

If you say it like that then PAOK can say they beat Oly in their bourdello and drew 0-0 at up north, from memory was anyone else in the league able to take 4 points off Oly last season? SO can they say they are better than Oly?

They choked themselves mate they had a 7 point lead and F***ed it and since then they went downwards.

So if AEK beats PAO in a couple weeks are we a better team?

If you say it like that then PAOK can say they beat Oly in their bourdello and drew 0-0 at up north, from memory was anyone else in the league able to take 4 points off Oly last season? SO can they say they are better than Oly?

They choked themselves mate they had a 7 point lead and F***ed it and since then they went downwards.

So if AEK beats PAO in a couple weeks are we a better team?