Phantis Forums

Odense - PAO

Irlandos

Yes, Odense have come 2nd to FC Copenhagen the past three years and Copenhagen trounced us last year so I can not understand the optimism apparent in the Greek press. I just watched us on NOVA v. FC Koln and our offense was weak, with Petropoulos unable to capitalize on Karagounis' crosses. The coach is good, but he has his work cut out for him over the next ten days...

PAO won't make it. This team isn't ready for prime time in Europe. I'm sorry to say this, and, obviously, I hope I'm wrong, but if PAO remains in the hunt for the trophy in the domestic league into 2012, I'll be happy.

As much as we may be disappointed in our own team, i still dont think we should be that pessimistic, Odense is no powerhouse ( not saying we should underestimate them either).

There results in Europe last year werent that impressive, and despite coming second in the danish league, they did finish 26 Points behind Copenhagen, with 16 Wins 7 Draws 10 Losses.

Of course the next stage is when it gets difficult, but till that stage, we will hopefully be alot stronger, fitter, and with squad depth.

I didn't mean Odense. It's 50/50. But, then there will be some very difficult teams before we get to the CL group stage, and, say, playing Arsenal will be the end of it.

I'm an optimist by nature, but a realist too. How are they going to score when they haven't figured this out yet. They have a couple new players and Fereira is moving people around in the lineup.

Obviously you need to score to advance. However, PAO's past euro success have come because of a solid defense. Do you see it nowadays?

I understand and i agree, just to clarify i wasnt specifically responding to you, it was merely a response to general comments ive read on the web who were unsubstantially hyping up Odense ( even though they know nothing about them), and rubbishing Pao unfairly.

I do also fear our defense will never solidify or work well, (especially if boumsong is sold without a replacement). However i have some faith that the team as a unit will improve, and perhaps our defense can start from the front, rather than our defense copping the full force of every oppositions attacking play.

the squad was announced and neither dimoutso or leontiou were in..i thought dimoutso was one of the only players that actually worked hard in the friendly today v atromitos..toche, vitolo and quincy are all in as well..

anyway, after watching today i would be happier seeing our "second team" out there that our first...they played much better in the second half than in the first...where we looked dead and uninspired...we actually saw a bit of hussel in the second half despite still not looking too good..

i hope and think we will just make it past odense...even though i wouldnt be surprised to see us bow out of this competition in the early stage.

I watched (for the most part) the game against Atromitos. If I were a fan of Atromitos, and having lost 10-11 players this summer, I'd be very happy!

PAO didn't appear close to being ready for a euro match next week. Yes, Dimoutsos was the best player out there. Not only productivity-wise, but the kid ran more than anyone else and gave it all. Great effort.

Now I read that he wants to leave PAO if the coach isn't counting on him. Great :tdown:

atromitos have a good squad with a solid manager. they are a club on the rise right now i believe. i wouldnt be suprised if they hit the top 5 this year, donis made some decent signings to form a good squad.

either way, we didnt play well but im suprised to see the media massacre today. it is obvious to everyone the media play a big role in this league and i think in that respect it will be a difficult year for pao as well...the media will conitnue to point fingers and increase the pressure. i think its bad for the game, but it is the reality of our footballing situation.

i would like to see dimoutso stay, although i dont think he is quite good enough for the team yet. he is a decent option for the bench considering we have a money problem. for me, he is more useful on the wing than marino, who looks more suited for a midfield or defensive role..marino hussels and pressures well, but has little attacking quality..marino is the new tziolis and it will turn out that way. he will suffer because football fans in this country are not patient. truth is he has a lot of potential, is a very strong kid, has good stamina and an appetite to continue learning. he could develop into a nice player, but the fans may make it very difficult for him without the proper support.

katsouranis and ninis dont work well in the middle...we are desperate for another signing in that position. ninis has looked below par, he needs to pick up his game.

Under Pao management ,Ninis has demonstrated very little talent ,he is no second comming of Messi at best he is average in Greek superleague . If he is to flourish he needs to sign with a better team and better league . I love PAO for ever but even I have my doubts about him. His value on a weekly basis is declining. We need alot of help in the mid field as we are getting very old. God help us and our economy!!!

PAO needs to develop a great scouting team and its own players from the academy. I don't think there will be big money any time soon while the gap with the elite euro teams isn't getting smaller.

The fans have to understand this and not expect big signings. With little money, a shrinking economy (fewer income for the team), and the awesome crappiness of the league, things are going to be rough for many years.

Some moderate success in europe and a better (safer, honest) domestic league will satisfy me for now.

As for Ninis, since we didn't sell him for big money (as it was rumoured a year or two earlier), let's wait another season. Most of us are disappointed in him as not developing as quickly (or at all).

However, he helped the team as a teenager and he can be useful. I think that Ninis is not a leader and he can't bare this load/role. But, in a good dominant team he can shine. Maybe he'll grow into a leader several years from now.

Karagounis will start in the center against Odense.

PAO needs to develop a great scouting team and its own players from the academy. I don't think there will be big money any time soon while the gap with the elite euro teams isn't getting smaller.

100% correct...

From memory alone i can think of the following youth players since 2005, who signed professional contracts with the club, only to fade away 1 year after doing so....

Bousinakis

oxyzoglou

sikalias

tripotseris

kritikos

tsemperidis

gadzhev

siontis

vellidis

stathis

pantelis

katranas

pangalis

kravaritis

konstantindis

pantidos

boutzikos

ninis

I can keep going on with list. The only one who has actually progressed, and we are still doubting his actual progression is Ninis.

When there's money and the club sings big contracts with players, they have to play*, so there is no chance that a newbie could be promoted. Increasingly, however, this will become a necessity as money is scarse and the league isn't quite an attractive place to be for known good players...

*Conseisao, Zutautas, and so many others that they were horrible but they played instead of some of the names you mentioned here.

i see a draw or loss in this one and a win at home when we can actually start integrating our new signings. look at our history in these situations, (wisla, sparta) we always seem to have a poor first showing but manage to squeeze through to the next round at home..

we need to progress bc chances are next round we will se trabzonspor, which is a very win-able tie to get into the group stages...

i see a draw or loss in this one and a win at home when we can actually start integrating our new signings. look at our history in these situations, (wisla, sparta) we always seem to have a poor first showing but manage to squeeze through to the next round at home..

we need to progress bc chances are next round we will se trabzonspor, which is a very win-able tie to get into the group stages...

You fancy Trabzon to overcome Benfica?

We'll probably get a draw today. Don't get me wrong, we're abysmal, but Odense are no better than Kavala

HT Odense - PAO 0-0

You can tell it's early season for PAO who are missing passes, taking extra steps, falling down at the slightest, etc.

UEFA should reconsider holding European Cup games this early in the season :tdown:

Archived