Phantis Forums

RIK SAT leaving Australian skies....

The reason UBI has given is " due to commercial viability of the channel "

Translation: 'We haven't made any money off this channel so we are dumping it" B)

RIK Sat (as well as ERT World) should be FTA not a pay service. I wonder who wants this to be a pay channel- RIK or UBI World?! Does RIK Sat offer any Cypriot soccer, if not then why is it a pay service- ERT World at least has soccer which sort of justifies paying for it.

I wonder what this means for the future of this channel here in North America? I don't think it will be around long term here as well, especially if it continues as a pay service.

RIK Sat is pretty much a poor version of ERT it has no soccer on it mostly news and lifestyle/informative programming.

If RIK wanted to be a FTA channel it would need to pay for it to be so which would of happened by now if RIK wanted to...

If RIK wanted to be a FTA channel it would need to pay for it to be so which would of happened by now if RIK wanted to...

I believe UBI World has the distribution rights for Australia/New Zealand so that is most definitely why its available as a pay service (same thing here with GMG).

I doubt that RIK would be willing to pay the associated costs to offer it FTA, they want the $$ just like ERT which is why they sold off the international distribution rights to various media companies.

RIK Sat is pretty much a poor version of ERT it has no soccer on it mostly news and lifestyle/informative programming.

Based on what I have read, I think ERT World will soon resemble RIK Sat unfortunately. ERT in Greece is set to undergo major changes including cutbacks in services and probably changes to the programming. If ERT World loses the soccer coverage then there is no way it should continue as a pay service.

I wonder who wants this to be a pay channel- RIK or UBI World?!

I think RIK judging by the deal they made here in the US with Ellas TV. I still can't believe that one. Obviously they are after money.

With the Greek channel packages there is no money to be made any longer, the programing has gone down same old shows and reruns and the monthly prices keep going up.

In the near future the only Greek channel that will be broadcasting Internationally will be ANT1 they were the first ones to go Internationally and they will be the first one to last , they are in a stable satellite platform and there price is right.

DKSat

With the Greek channel packages there is no money to be made any longer, the programing has gone down same old shows and reruns and the monthly prices keep going up.

In the near future the only Greek channel that will be broadcasting Internationally will be ANT1 they were the first ones to go Internationally and they will be the first one to last , they are in a stable satellite platform and there price is right.

DKSat

All the Greek shows are basically copying US network programming. Nothing creative or innovative. Why pay for the cheap knockoff? I wonder when they will have the Greek version of the Apprentice.

I would agree that some of the more niche channels will slowly fade away but I disagree that Antenna will be the only one left. I think MEGA will survive as well- providing that they get their act together and stick with one provider instead of moving around all the time. ;) They have a more well rounded schedule IMO, the programming is more varied (news, talk shows, TV serials, reality shows, game shows) as opposed to ANT1 who these days air mainly reality junk mixed in with some old series which by now everyone has probably seen 10-20 times since they have been re-aired to death.

I think DKSat is trying to tell us something here.....on the other hand just a few months ago DK told us not to be surprised if Ant1 and Alpha end up on the other platform too. (Before re-signing though)

Hm... :blink:

In the near future the only Greek channel that will be broadcasting Internationally will be ANT1

Reading between the lines it appears as though he is indicating that either the Home2US venture will fail OR some of the remaining Greek channels (perhaps all) will stop broadcasting internationally?! I can see that happening with some of the more niche channels like Alter, Alpha & STAR due to the economic situation in Greece but I would be shocked if ERT or MEGA shut down their international channel?! :blink:

This comment appears to be targeted at the new package on Home2US, however if we follow the logic that Dish is the better provider then shouldn't that mean that Alpha Sat survives as well since they are on Dish along with ANT1?!

It appears DKSat has left us hanging, no further replies about his comment above that all Greek channels (except for ANT1) might be shutting down soon?!

DKSat, we need more info man! B)

Were you talking about the situation in the US or worldwide as here in Canada we only get 3 channels?!

5000 people in the whole US is pretty bad even for a niche greek channel.

I agree, but what is done is done here. MEGA (for the other channels on that platform are doomed anyway) will have to sink or swim with the platform they chose. Maybe with the higher price and the smaller platform, they will be able to stay afloat with numbers that would have doomed them on directv.

In all honesty, I don't think that is too bad of a number considering they are only 2 or so months in and word is just now starting to spread about it. Does anyone recall the sub numbers that were floated around when Mega first moved to Directv? I believe it was in the hundreds after a month....Now it would be interesting to know the sub numbers later on.

Home2US is doing good they have about 5.000 subs now

This number means nothing on its own, you need the subscription rates for the Greek package on Dish Network in order to assess whether 5000 subs is good or terrible. It would also be nice to know how many subscribers DirecTV had before it dropped the Greek channels?! Unfortunately those numbers are not made public so there is no way of knowing whether Home2US' Greek package is off to a good start or a terrible one?!

On another note,

I have thought over DKSat's comment some more and I think that it might have to do with the economic situation in Greece. If things go from bad to worse there then that will most likely result in major changes in many industries and media which is already hard hit (thanks to lower advertising revenue) might get hit with a knock out blow?! The end result would be channels shutting down including some of the ones that broadcast internationally. I think depending on things play out over the next few months, the Greek media landscape might look quite different 6 or 12 months down the road?!

Up till Karamalis was the prime minster all the Greek tv / Radio stations and news papers were getting millions off Euros as a kick backs from the Greek government, till Karamalis put a stop to all that and now you see tv channels going to chapter 11 and news papers closeting down.

They have run the KOUMPARA bone dry.

DKSat

The party is over and as the saying goes 'You reap what you sow'.

I think a shake up is long overdue in the Greek media industry, they have too many TV channels and radio stations relative to the size of the country. Also, does any other country in the world have as many newspapers as Greece?! Seriously how many papers do you need, I remember watching the morning show on ERT World, the idiots would sit there and go through a stack of what looked like 50 newspapers, reading the headlines. Speaking of which, anyone know the reason behind this dumb practice- why are they reading newspapers on TV?! :blink:

The party is over and as the saying goes 'You reap what you sow'.

I think a shake up is long overdue in the Greek media industry, they have too many TV channels and radio stations relative to the size of the country. Also, does any other country in the world have as many newspapers as Greece?! Seriously how many papers do you need, I remember watching the morning show on ERT World, the idiots would sit there and go through a stack of what looked like 50 newspapers, reading the headlines. Speaking of which, anyone know the reason behind this dumb practice- why are they reading newspapers on TV?! :blink:

Newspaper reading on TV is the legacy of Haris Pazvantidis and Kanali 29 ;)

Since they had no money for programming, it was a cheap way to pass the time.

Others quickly followed.

As for the Greek TV landscape, it is not just that there are too many of them, it is also that decades after commercial tv was allowed, they are all still technically illegal as no permanent transmission licenses were ever given!

Archived