Phantis Forums

World Cup 2014

Euro2004

• 1 month later...

Decent? Qualification to the finals has practically been handed to our NT! :P

With serious work and no underestimating opponents, we should make it without having to play any playoff games. :)

Don't underestimate Slovakia, they are a decent side. It's great for a pot 2 draw but they are still a decent team. They went to the last 16 of the World Cup after qualifying ahead of Italy and they and only narrowly went out to eventual finalists Holland in a 2-1 defeat in the last 16. In the current qualifiers for Euro 2012 they've also won 0-1 in Russia and they have some good players like Martin Skrtel, Stoch and Hamsik. Obviously it's a very good pot 2 draw but we can't take them for granted.

Bosnia also have some top class players, they aren't the team we killed the last time we played them. They have some excellent attacking players like Edin Dzeko, Misimovic, Ibisevic, Pjanic. They aren't great at the back but are capable of beating us on a given day so we have to be at our best.

I have seen Slovakia play (2-0 victory at Windsor Park v. N. Ireland)

They are not pushovers but I expect Greece to best them.

Btw, their fans created a beautiful atmosphere in Belfast with singing and partying and absolutely no aggressive behaviour - just plain, clean fun! :)

I hope you're right. When it comes to the Greek NT i'm quite a pessimist to be honest so hopefully i'm simply overestimating them and underestimating us. I just struggle to be confident with Karagounis and Katsouranis in midfield. Particularly Karagounis who has no business playing for the NT anymore.

I really hope you're right but Bosnia are a good side and I honestly believe this is a 3 horse race.

Goal.com's "expert", Livio Caferoglu, is predicting Bosnia will win the group and we will be runners up.

"Greece aim to press on with their development under Fernando Santos, but may lose their most experienced talismen beyond 2012. This could pave the way for Bosnia to finally realise the potential that their 'Golden Generation' have promised. The industry of Slovakia, plucky Lithuania and Latvia are sure to contribute." http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial...-their-opinions

By "most experienced talismen" i'm assuming this clown means Karagounis. I love the guy but he's finished, the sooner he no longer starts the better. So while I don't doubt that Caferoglu is talking rubbish I do believe that this Bosnia team has an abundance of attacking talent, while Slovakia have performed a lot better than we did at the World Cup, so i am still nervous. I will say though that most of these nerves stem from the fact that i simply do not have faith in this team. :(

Why do so many people think this is a "mickey mouse" group?

Our group is the only one that has 2 teams that qualified for WC 2010 (Greece and Slovakia) while a 3rd team (Bosnia) made the playoffs.

Why do so many people think this is a "mickey mouse" group?

Our group is the only one that has 2 teams that qualified for WC 2010 (Greece and Slovakia) while a 3rd team (Bosnia) made the playoffs.

Because it is!

If we want to go to Brazil and not JUST to hang out with AIDS ridden whores on Copa Cabana we need to finish 1st with daylight second in this group.

Slovakia is rubbish. Couldn't beat New Zealand in last world cup...Bosnia doesn't know whether they are Serbs/Croats or Boniaks and play like this schizophrenic scenario!

That kind of thinking scares me! :blink:

Slovakia, Bosnia even Latvia could put us out of this group if we think like that!

For gods sake Latvia?? Slovakia? Bosnia may be a bit tougher but I mean come on!

The kind of thinking I have is one of belief and confidence. That doesn't mean you treat the games like they're friendlies.

That kind of thinking scares me!  :blink:

Slovakia, Bosnia even Latvia could put us out of this group if we think like that!

For gods sake Latvia?? Slovakia? Bosnia may be a bit tougher but I mean come on!

The kind of thinking I have is one of belief and confidence. That doesn't mean you treat the games like they're friendlies.

Didn't Latvia clobber us 3-0 when nobody gave them a second thought? What makes you think they can't do it again?

As for Slovakia, I have seen them play. They are no pushovers.

We are better than both these teams but we cannot take them for granted!

• 2 weeks later...

Santos wasn't coaching us when Latvia beat us and its a different team now. As for Slovakia, WE are no pushovers either, are we?

Latvia are poor, but Slovakia did better than us at the last world cup and it's arrogant to assume they are inferior. As for Bosnia we just drew 0-0 in a friendly but they completely dominated possession. On another day they could have won.

Archived