Phantis Forums

PAO Transfers Summer 2011

athinaios

In another tread (PAO in Europe) we started talking about transfers, etc, so I thought of opening a specific thread for this. In the next 3 months much will happen with PAO's roster for the new season.

Today, there's talk that Karagounis will leave. He's supposed to get $1 mil. for the new season but he isn't part of Ferreira's plans (at least for the first team) so unless Kara agrees to a severe salary reduction, he'll end his career somewhere else.

I think Kara isn't what he used to even a year ago, but I think he should stay and finish with PAO. He can come off the bench. ALso, if many players leave (or as injuries pile up) he'll have to step up and it'd be nice to have a veteran player on the team.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that we've been linked with any of them but these are the players that are available on a free transfer this summer. Some will be out of our reach, like Miroslav Klose, but others could be real possibilities.

Brad Friedal (goalkeeper, Blackburn) - Would be virtually impossible, he's one of the best keepers in the EPL.

Manuel Almunia (goalkeeper, Arsenal) - Almunia is certainly a realistic target. He might have made a few high profile clangers but he's still superb for a Greek team. With Tzorvas leaving he'd be a great replacement.

John Carew (striker, Aston Villa) - Not a goalscorer but he's an upgrade from Petropoulos and always a handful. No doubt he'd be a useful asset but i think his contract might be quite big.

David Vaughn (midfield, Blackpool) - Apart from Charlie Adam he was probably Blackpool's best player this season and although he was in the Prem he wouldn't be demanding a big contract. I'd take a gamble on him.

Sotirios Kyrgiakos - I don't know whether it's realistic but Dalglish isn't a fan and if Boumsong does leave it would be great to have him back.

Patrick Vieira (midfield, Man City) - Would be a great replacement for Gilberto but would probably demand another big contract.

Owen Hargreaves (midfield, Man Utd) - Has been plagued by injuries but if he can get fit he's a world class holding midfielder. It's simply a question of who will have the guts to take a gamble on him.

Sebastian Larsson (midfield, Birmingham) - He would be a realistic target now that Birmingham went down. He's hugely underrated and would actually be the type of typically shrewd signings we used to make.

Matthew Upson (defender, West Ham) - Hasn't had a good season but has all the attributes to be a success in Greece, and we could promise him European football.

Ze Roberto (midfield, Hamburg) - He's 36 but still very fit and he could easily contribute a lot to the team. He was very close to Olympiakos a few season ago (apparently) and Galatasary are interested now so it wouldn't be unrealistic. His versatility and experience could be beneficial, especially if we did the right thing and sold Karagounis.

it appears mattos will be returning to the team...apparently he wants a stay in brazil but botafogo dont have the money to pay us and ferreira wants him in the team for the next year...

i think this is great news..i always thought ten cate ruined mattos and i want to see him resurrect himself at the club...he is the type of player we need..only problem is he has expressed his wishes to stay in brazil...im sure the potential welcome he will get from our fans will change his mind quickly...

I always liked Matos and he shouldn't have left, but the coach didn't like him. We shouldn't have allowed such a player to leave. However, I'd be very reluctant to get anyone whose heart isn't in it. If it's a matter of negotiating, I could understand, but I really don't want anyone who doesn't want to have a (long) future with PAO.

Matos is young and he should a long-term player.

I have seen games where Matos simply walked along, contributing nothing. Are you sure this is a player for Panathinaikos? :huh:

Yes, I've watched him lots when he was considered a starter but when a new coach didn't use him or used him as a sub for a few minutes, he didn't perform.

He's young so it's not a matter of being old and tired, so I've seen what this guy can do--great skills and versatile.

IF he wants to play and is entrusted by the coach, he can be part of the core of this team.

i know this is really random and perhaps inappropriate on a sports forum but everyone here chats about all sorts of things so we're all kinda like internet friends. So I wondering is any member on phantis a doctor? In particular i'd like to ask some discreet advice from a neurologist. I know it's a long shot but would greatly appreciate your time. Thanks for your time everyone

Cisse is on his way out of PAO & headed to Lazio...

WOW!

How come PAO can't keep this guy?

Big contract. He expressed his wish to go. PAO needs this money, and better get something now instead of nothing next year (end of contract).

if he goes for what is reported i think the club will get huge backlash form the fans...apparently they offered us 5.5 million which is too low for me..i know the market is bad but his services for the club, to me, are worth more than 5.5...sure we need the money, but we should bargain a bit more than that. we could do alot with the money, but having to fill all the positions we need to fill AND find a new starting striker will be extremely difficult...also considering we still dont have an actual technical director...

apparently they are offering him less than what he wants too and they will have to raise his contract to meet his demands...his first priority is to return to england and if he doesnt get a similar contract in italy/spain as he does with us, he will not go...i hope...

i see him leaving for a reduced price...i would take no less than 6.5-7 million..the extra million/ and a half would mean alot to us at this point...

its going to be a long summer... :tdown:

Brad Friedal (goalkeeper, Blackburn) - Would be virtually impossible, he's one of the best keepers in the EPL.

John Carew (striker, Aston Villa) - Not a goalscorer but he's an upgrade from Petropoulos and always a handful. No doubt he'd be a useful asset but i think his contract might be quite big.

In 1995-96 season he played in Turkey for Galatasaray so we know Fridel very well, he is good goalkeeper and he is well dicplined, has a good charecter, however he is not a goalkeeper to run after, he has problem at the side balls and he is 40 now.

And Carew yes he was also in Beşiktaş 2005-2006, We watched him one year, he was one of the best foreigner footballer in Turkish Super Lig. He should be good choice. (If the fee is not too expensive that he is 31)

Confirmed reports are saying that Cisse is going to play for Lazio for 1.7 mill a year..

As far as Gomez I don't se him comming to Greece fellas... The way things are now w/ the League this will impact any (great) player coming.

Cisse will be missed, One of the great strickers that has passed through Greece

i wouldnt be devastated seeing him off the bench and at a salary no greater than 500.000. in my opinion, every team should have four striker on the roster. he could be a useful player in both as a point striker but in a 4-4-2 as well...too bad he is 35 :tdown:

also, apparently pao is going to offer a 60% pay cut to karagounis salary...in my opinion he will probably take it and he should, as i would be very happy seeing him close his career at pao. if he doesnt take it, he will move to the mls with a nice contract and possibly give us alittle extra money, which we could probably milk out of the transfer...

they are also proposing a pay cut to kats' contract, but i believe it just eliminates some bonus'

• 2 weeks later...

this once again shows our inability as a team in the realm of transfers...we eventually bought 80-something percent of his rights for 6 million and re sold him for 1 with probably no more than 50% resell rights...luckily we also save something like 800.000 on his contract as well..great investment... :tdown:

i understand..the man wanted to stay in brazil, his family is more important than football and all that stuff...but we could have negotiated something better than that...at least a player or two to sweeten the deal and possibly sign a promising brazilian..

the mattos situation is a sad story...a matter of wrong timing and the wrong coach being at the club at a wrong time..had ten cate not ruined his chances with the club, he could have been a staple and very useful in the midfield...it is a real shame...

lets see what we will do to fill in that position that was left void by gilberto...all i know is that it is july, we have started preseason and our moves have been:

releasing gilberto/luis garcia/govou...and signing no one...

we havent gotten rid of players like plessis, seitaridis either..if we dont start doing some work, we will be MILES behind for our match in a month.

this once again shows our inability as a team in the realm of transfers...we eventually bought 80-something percent of his rights for 6 million and re sold him for 1 with probably no more than 50% resell rights...luckily we also save something like 800.000 on his contract as well..great investment... :tdown:

i understand..the man wanted to stay in brazil, his family is more important than football and all that stuff...but we could have negotiated something better than that...at least a player or two to sweeten the deal and possibly sign a promising brazilian..

the mattos situation is a sad story...a matter of wrong timing and the wrong coach being at the club at a wrong time..had ten cate not ruined his chances with the club, he could have been a staple and very useful in the midfield...it is a real shame...

lets see what we will do to fill in that position that was left void by gilberto...all i know is that it is july, we have started preseason and our moves have been:

releasing gilberto/luis garcia/govou...and signing no one...

we havent gotten rid of players like plessis, seitaridis either..if we dont start doing some work, we will be MILES behind for our match in a month.

Because of the lack of signings my guess would be young Greek players...

The question that I have from PAO fans is that where does everyone think that the money is going to come from? No-one seems to be adding money to the team.... therefore no "real" signings.

It's a general crisis all around. Sports can't escape this reality. Greek society has deep problems and the ones in charge of sports worsened the outcome.

Revenue for the clubs depends on the general state of the economy. Add the corrupt nature of the league and the sport has dwindled down to people watching from a distance (not spending money) and the hooligans who seek opportunities for violence. Oh, yeah, you have the rich & corrupt wanting publicity by "buying" a club.

It's a mess.

In general, a giant Farce --Greek Tragedy at it's finest. We greeks always make everything bigger than it is. The reality is we will always find the exception to the rule when it comes to politics ,sports , business and etc. We always find ways to bend the rules or add red tape to things that are even irelevant. We are Greeks that love to bitch and complain , the problem is that even when we are wrong we cannot see beyond that. Inception is what we are doing .Always having a dream within a dream and again within that dream as a result we can never get back to reality . As a result we can never bite the crime in the butt.

Zito H ELLADA :gr:

"Ellada always there for a good scandal" :LOL:

Archived