Phantis Forums

AEK in Turkish League?

Euro2004

Reports are saying that AEK could move to the Turkish Superleague with EPO Chairman saying he'd be open to the idea because it would improve relations between the two countries.

http://www.sportdog.gr/article/22481/prota...iko-protathlema

If they even entertain this idea it's a disgrace. According to a Turkish newspaper the president of the Turkish FA will propose this move to EPO. Thoughts please. I agree with the journalist reporting on it, this has to be a joke. Right? :unsure:

Looks like a Turkish team wants Scocco for 3.5M... I would push for 4M and get rid of him. We are strapped and could make some payments for our club.

I think he is overrated anyways...

I totally agree with you. In fact we're having a debate right now over in the PAO boards as to whether we should sell Ninis & Leto and use the money to rebuild or whether we should keep Ninis because he's young and try to rebuild on a tighter budget. Personally I believe that clubs should cash in on overrated players. Remember Diogo was being linked with big money moves because he had one good season? Olympiakos should have cashed in immediately and bought 2 good players. That's how teams like Porto and Benfica built their squads.

Push for 4m then bring in 2 good players. If I was the manager i'd try and sign a one top player on a free transfer that's a big name and give him 3m within his salary. Michael Owen from Man Utd is out of contract for instance, so is Seedorf of Milan. Then I'd get another player from the superleague that's like to be allowed to leave but is a top player in the league, like Zairi.

Imagine you sold Scocco and signed Owen and Zairi as replacements for example. Would be amazing for AEK. If Owen isn't a realistic target then maybe Bobo from Besiktas. You need a goalscorer and a playmaker and selling Scocco would be a good idea if you get 4m

The reason I thought it might be true was because AEK's hierachy seem particularly fed up of what's happening with the refs in the superleague. AEK played their centenary in Galatasary's stadium too and billed it as a "return to home". It was a rather unusual move to play such a game in Constantinople where AEK's Greek fans couldn't attend. It was obviously a symbolic match but one that I thought AEK might have been interested in making more permanent to bypass the "stimeno protathlima" as AEK's fans and board call it here. Politically it would also be quite a coup for Turkey, portraying the league as accepting and tolerant as Turkey's bid to join the EU steps up.

Rangers and Celtic have made moves in the past to try and join the EPL and Cypriot teams used to play in the Greek league too many years ago so I didn't think it was impossible for certain people to be interested in this proposition.

Archived