Phantis Forums

Euroleague 2015

pao123

We've been at the same average level for the last 3 years now, actually we are probably even worse now than in 2013 or 2014. You simply don't stand a chance if you finish as the 4th seed. It is near impossible to beat a 1st seed over 5 games with homecourt disadvantage. We had a relatively easy group this season and still only finished 4th, even behind Maccabi who are nothing special, had we been in the other top 16 group I doubt we would have even made the playoffs.

Big changes are needed next season in order to just finish higher in the top 16 for a start. I wouldn't mind us having a playoff series that is not against the tournament favourites and actually winnable for a change,

• 2 weeks later...

Oly has probably the highest budget among the top Euro teams. PAO is not a very strong team any longer. I'm afraid that we'll lose the domestic title this year. We need a better coach and a higher budget to compete at the top of euro league. We've struggled against small teams, and gavroi are getting stronger.

• 5 months later...

What a poor start to the season, 82-70 loss to Krasnodar away. Too many players didn't show up today. I don't know why we didn't see Charalampopoulos, since Pavlovic and Jiankovic were both playing shite.

Still there are a lot of new players this season, with Pappas and Bochoridis are yet to come back from injury, so hopefully they will get things figured out soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, definitely our best performance of the Euroleague season so far!

Radilijca set a new personal record of 25pts. Diamantidis was amazing, scoring 20pts against a team like Barca. No way he should retire at the end of the season. Calathes was also good and nice to see Pappas back on the floor. Pappas should be very important for us this season, if he gets back to the level he was playing at before he got injured. A back court of Calathes, Pappas, 3D and Feldine looks very strong.

On to the top 16 now.

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

PAO's top 16 group looks like this:

Fenerbache

Locomotiv Kraznodar

Anadolu Istanbul

Panathinaikos

Unicaja Malaga

Crvena Zvezda

Darussafaka Istanbul

Cedevida Zagreb

I think this group is not too bad. Good thing PAO won last night and finished 3rd, because the other group looks stronger. Fenerbache are a good team, Kraznodar had the best of PAO in the regular season and Anadolu are usually decent. 3 Turkish teams in one group too, should be interesting. PAO has to qualify from this group, and come higher than 4th, because we know what happened in the playoffs over the last few seasons after PAO came 4th.

Edited by Koro

• 2 weeks later...

So, which are the teams most likely to go through?

Interesting, besides PAO and the 2 Turkish teams, the rest have no notable history. Also, interesting that soccer superpowers don't have strong (if any) basketball teams with a few exceptions.

I don't claim to be an expert but if I had to guess the top 4 teams to go through:

1 - Fener

2 - Kraznodar

3 - Anadolu

4 - PAO

I know the top 2 are strong, I'm not sure about Anadolu. I only put them 3rd because they were good last season. PAO should be aiming for 3rd imo, this is a relatively easy group. Malaga could also be decent.

Other group looks far stronger with Real, Barca, Oly, Khimki and of course CSKA.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank the lord for James Feldine!

Great clutch 3 to beat Malaga 68-66. PAO had to win this match too. I can take a loss away to Fener, but if you cannot beat Malaga in OAKA, then you might as well not bother.

Great match from the captain tonight. 17pts on 100% shooting and 7 assists, all at the age of 35. If Kobe Byrant can play till he's 37 after his injury problems, then Diamantidis should at least play for another season.

But I'm still worried about whether Pappas will get fit and back to the same level he was last season. Fortunately Feldine has done well, but we still need Pappas to go far. Doesn't help that Boxoridis is still injured either.

• Like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unconvincing 82-79 against Darussfaka at OAKA tonight.

I was preparing to totally write off PAO's chances of making the playoffs if they lost this one. I know there were injuries, but Darussafaka were 0-4 before the game, average side. At least they got the win and we're still in contention.

Raduljica did well, 17pts/8rebs and for once he actually played some good defence by forcing some turnovers. He often struggles against the smaller, faster centres, which there seems to be a ton of in this league. But Erden was just trying to post him up, bad idea against a big lad like Miroslav. I still prefer Gist at centre because he is a top defender and alright on offence. Although Radulijca is a better scorer, unless he's scoring then he might as well not be on the floor since he hurts our defence.

Apparently PAO are going to sign Marquez Hayens and bring Mike Bramos back. I don't know much about Haynes, but we need more help in the guard positions. 3D and Boxoridis are injured and Pappas doesn't look anywhere near 100%. But I'm happy to hear PAO are looking at Bramos, always a player I liked.

• Like it 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

91-86 loss away last night to Anadolu. Now means PAO will face Bourousis and Laboral in the playoffs, without home court advantage.

It is a tough series to call, I think both teams have the same record. Hopefully PAO aren't going to regret missing out on home court, since they are much stronger in OAKA.

The main problem will trying to stop Bourousis, who is having an MVP season, because I'm not convinced by Radulijca's defending. Calathes and Diamantidis will have a big role given their experience and Williams needs to be on his game.

Edited by Koro
  • Like it 1

Its not a good sign that Diamantidis is still the best player on PAO. Calathes and Williams have to step up big time, they have both shown they are capable before.

I also think this team is badly lacking enough consistent 3pt shooters right now.

• Like it 1