Phantis Forums

The end of IPTV? - Maybe........

As an ATT Uverse subscriber, I have been notified of what could be the end of “add-on” IPTV that will affect Ellas Tv and others who use similar technology to broadcast their programming. What I mean by “add on” IPTV is that it’s a device that you connect to your current service provider that uses data. I would be limited to 250Gb per month and my parents, as DSL users would be limited to only 150Gb per month. Im not sure how much data would be used to watch a 2 hour soccer game on HD but if I want to continue to watch additional programming, download some movies, maybe do some online gaming, this could become very scary. From what I understand, the ATT’s usage cap will take effect in May and if ATT can take the customer backlash without getting too muddy, then other internet providers will follow.

I hope I'm wrong.

Any thoughts???

Is Home2US an IPTV add on?

Please see article below from Engaget

AT&T will cap DSL and U-Verse internet, impose overage fees (update)

By Sean Hollister posted Mar 13th 2011 7:05PM Breaking NewsLadies and gentlemen, the days of unlimited broadband may be numbered in the United States, and we're not talking wireless this time -- AT&T says it will implement a 150GB monthly cap on landline DSL customers and a 250GB cap on subscribers to U-Verse high speed internet starting on May 2nd. AT&T will also charge overage fees of $10 for every additional 50GB of data, with two grace periods to start out -- in other words, the third month you go over the cap is when you'll get charged. DSLReports says it has confirmation from AT&T that these rates are legitimate, and that letters will go out to customers starting March 18th.

How does AT&T defend the move? The company explains it will only impact two percent of consumers who use "a disproportionate amount of bandwidth," and poses the caps as an alternative to throttling transfer speeds or disconnecting excessive users from the service completely. Customers will be able to check their usage with an online tool, and get notifications when they reach 65 percent, 90 percent and 100 percent of their monthly rates.

We just spoke with AT&T representative Seth Bloom and confirmed the whole thing -- rates are exactly as described above, and the company will actually begin notifying customers this week. He also told us that those customers who don't yet have access to the bandwidth usage tool won't get charged until they do, and that AT&T U-Verse TV service won't count towards the GB cap.

Yes bandwidth caps have been around for a while now, and are popping up on more and more ISPs all the time. The next one being ATT U-Verse it looks like, although they seem to be one of the more generous ISP's when it comes to overage policies. This issue and question was also brought up in the other thread about EllasTV, but was dismissed and never went truly answered.

Here is was HellasHab wrote though about his experience with another IPTV service: (I hope you are ok with me using it Hellas)

"Having been a subscriber to an IPTV service in the past, I can say with certainty that these services use up a lot of juice. My monthly usage when I had IPTV was around 100Gb and that was with me clamping down on viewing, meaning the box was not on continuously nor was I watching the channels continuously. If you were to watch for many hours each day (which is the case with the older generation who are home all day), you would endure an untold expense coming from penalties for exceeding your usage limit."

Any thoughts???

Is Home2US an IPTV add on?

I assume you meant EllasTV? Yes EllasTV is an IPTV service. If you did not mean that, then no, Home2us is a satellite service.

I understand your point but I dont think that applies to most internet providers including DSL and cable types. Personally am on DSL with verizon and I pay a flat fee per month not based on actual usage. That applies to wireless companies that charge based on data download, of course some are unlimited as well depending on your plan.

No like I said many ISPs are starting to cap their bandwidths. This does not apply to wireless only. ATT U-Verse is the newest one. Comcast, the nations biggest pay-tv operator, already caps their bandwidth at 250gb a month. If I recall, their overage policies are more severe. You get a warning or something, and if you still continue to go over they terminate your account. They have a bandwidth meter built into the online account center to help you keep track. Expect Verizon and other ISPs to follow suit in the coming year or so, they will follow the trend of capping.

Archived