Phantis Forums

Alter Globe preemptions

Is it just me or has Alter Globe been preempting regular programming lately? Programs like Kalimera me ton Giorgo Aytia, Edw kai Twra, and newscasts have been replaced with music videos and reruns of old shows. Right now instead of Simera me ton Aki Paylopoulo it's playing Koitaw Mprosta. Live shows like Bla Bla, Oso Yparxoun Anthropoi, That's Life are sometimes showing repeats instead of live broadcasts. Actually it did broadcast Giorgo Aytia overnight but other nights it has not. There have not been journalist strikes lately. What's going on.

From what I read online, Alter has been going through some tough times as of late. Its personnel have been going on strike constantly and remain unpaid. It is hard to put on a show when your personnel (Not necessarily journalists, but camera men, technical people, producers, etc) are striking. Hopefully the situation improves for them.

ALTER is in debt for 520 MILLION EURO, that is circa $ 742 MILLION

on annual revenues less than 1/10th (70 Million).

WOW! :blink:

Baed on those figures, I would say that Alter is a goner and will probably shut down at some point in the near future. If their revenues are so small then they have as much chance of repaying their debt as Greece does. :LOL:

I read something awhile ago on one of those TV blogs that some media official was speculating that media mergers might be on the horizon soon. He stated that their were too many channels in Greece and the market was too small to sustain them all.

He stated that their were too many channels in Greece and the market was too small to sustain them all.

That's a given, except with TV, as with everything else, Greece doesn't have a real market. People usurped frequencies, often making huge profits off reselling stolen goods (for instance, leventis), and there is complete lawlessness so since channels don't pay for the frequencies, there are lots of these small nothing channels (like KONTRA) and medium nothing channels (like ALTER and STAR) and big nothing channels (MEGA, ANTENNA). Channels, like newspapers in greece, are more about exerting political influence so that the fat cats like Bobolas will get government contracts than about making a profit.

So yes, in real market conditions there would survive probably 4-5 channels tops in such a small market. In greek conditions, it's anybody's guess.

It is now 653pm in Greece and right now on Alter Globe it should be broadcasting the evening news. However, again, it has been preempted and instead they are showing a repeat of To Party tis Zwns Sou. I don't understand this. Are they doing this because it's the last week on Directv? And when & if Alter Globe moves to another platform, will this nonsense continue?

Well now I just checked the Alter website in Greece and on their schedule it's showing a movie. So I guess I answered my own question. You guys who have posted about Alter's problems are right. This channel is screwed. It's sad, though, because between Alter & Star, Alter is the better channel, at least that's my opinion.

From the little I read, apparently an Athens court ruled the strikes illegal, but it seems like they are continuing to strike so who knows how it will turn out. I'm not sure if the ruling was for all the parties involved in the strike, or just one.

But the latest news is that Alter is working to secure cash, and is also working with their creditors. You can read about that here: http://www.tovima.gr/finance/article/?aid=...=391646&h1=true and http://www.naftemporiki.gr/news/cstory.asp?id=1948177

I assume this is a temporary measure until they get their house in order? It makes no real difference IMO, the strikes were already canceling the live programs anyway. Let's hope they find a way to get out of this mess, their news coverages was pretty decent.

I assume this is a temporary measure until they get their house in order? It makes no real difference IMO, the strikes were already canceling the live programs anyway. Let's hope they find a way to get out of this mess, their news coverages was pretty decent.

To me the real tragedy is that this affects the live programs only monday-friday, leaving us with the danger that Annita will continue <_<

I wonder how they plan to fill Alter Globe's schedule now with these new changes. (Assuming they are going to last a bit.) They should air some older Greek movies or something in place of the live news and other shows.

Wow, I know they found a new investor or something, but I didn't expect them to start up live programing again this fast. It is being reported that daily live programs are starting again. Let's see how long it lasts.

More info: as of today at 12:30PM most of the live programs started again. The other article I posted before mentions from tomorrow "Kalimera me ton Giorgo Aftia" will begin once again too. Apparently technicians also have called off their strikes and have agreed to go back to work with the promise that they will be payed by April 21st.

http://tvnea.blogspot.com/2011/04/1230-live-alter.html

Things are not looking good at all for Alter. A meeting was held on Monday with the bank to approve Argo's plan to save Alter. No official announcement has been made yet, but a few sites are passing along a rumor that the bank denied the plan. This was seen as their last hope to save the channel. There will probably be more information soon enough...

Archived