Phantis Forums

Dish Network Renews Multi-Year Contract With ANT1

I think this deserves its own thread. Originally posted by harlem_reporter in the "New Greek Channel Package Platform" topic.

and, as of this morning, ANTENNA will be with DISH for many years while

Gold and Blue seem to merge into one

DISH Network Renews Multi-Year Contract With Antenna Group for Greek Programming

Includes future launch of 'Antenna Prime,' featuring live soccer and classic Greek shows

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. and ATHENS, Greece, March 23, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH Network L.L.C., the leader in international programming in the United States, today announced a multi-year renewal agreement with Antenna Group. The agreement not only ensures continued carriage of Greek-language channels such as Antenna Satellite, Antenna Radio, Rhythmos Radio and Super Sport FM but also provides for the future launch of a new channel: Antenna Prime, a 24/7 channel featuring Antenna's most popular shows and series from current and previous seasons, Greek movies and top Greek music programs, plus a selection of live Greek soccer games.

"Antenna Group was one of the first international programmers to launch on DISH Network, and now almost 15 years later, we are very proud to announce our continued commitment to the Greek community with the renewal of Antenna Satellite and the launch of Antenna Prime," said Chris Kuelling, vice president of International Programming for DISH Network. "DISH Network's Greek subscribers have been with us for many years, and will be pleased to know that they can continue to enjoy the best live matches from the Greek Super League and Greek Soccer Cup."

"The multi-year renewal of our agreement with DISH Network continues our longstanding commitment to the largest Greek television platform in the U.S.," said Nikos Tziotis, General Manager of Antenna Pay TV. "Since the launch of the Antenna Satellite channel on DISH Network in 1996, we have worked closely with DISH Network to bring the best Greek content to our viewers in the U.S. We are very pleased to once again renew our relationship, which assures that our viewers will continue to receive the top-quality services and programming that they have enjoyed from DISH Network for the past 15 years."

All Antenna channels are available in the Greek Antenna Pack as well as the Greek Elite Pack, which also includes Alpha and ERT World. Antenna Prime is slated for launch later this spring and will be available in both programming packages.

About DISH Network

DISH Network L.L.C., the U.S. leader in international programming, provides more than 200 ethnic channels in 29 languages – more than any other pay-TV provider. To learn more about DISH Network's international programming or to order the Greek programming packages, call 1-888-473-3588 or visit: www.dishnetwork.com/international.

Since a new thread has been created for this topic, I have merged harlem_reporter's post into this thread (hope that is alright Grk101?!)- no need for duplicate posts.

I see no mention of ANT1 20years Channel or Blue in this PR- have they been removed?! It does appear that they will be merging the content together into this new ANT1 Prime channel but will the existing channel continue to air until that channel launches or will they be shut down?!

It looks like they are splitting things into two- one channel with the current garbage for the younger generation (or whomever likes to watch that crap?!) and a second channel with more series & movies on it aimed at an older audience. It appears someone at ANT1 is finally listening to people's complaints about the terrible programming they are airing on Antenna Satellite these days. I wonder if this channel will show up in Canada or will we be stuck with the ANT1 Satellite garbage?!

Since a new thread has been created for this topic, I have merged harlem_reporter's post into this thread (hope that is alright Grk101?!)- no need for duplicate posts.

No problem at all and I agree. ;) Just figured it was worth its own thread instead of getting lost in the other one.

I guess we will find out more information on how Dish Network will adjust the channels and packages soon. I wonder if "prime" will show up on cable too, it sounds like a Dish Network exclusive like Blue and Gold.

You know thinking about this more today, "Ant1 Prime" just seems like a revamp of "20 years/gold" than a merger of Blue and Gold. In the press release they mention that the new channel will feature "top Greek music programs", don't they already play old concerts and fame story stuff? That is considered Greek music programs I think. As for the live sports they mention, that is the most interesting part in my opinion. If I recall (I could be wrong) a few years back they actually broadcast a game or two on Gold at one point. I guess they are planning on capitalizing on their sports offerings now.

It is strange that Blue is not mentioned in the press release though, and they make it a point that Prime will be a new channel. So who knows if it really is a merger or not. I also wonder if Ant1 Satellite remains exclusive on Dish Network (on the satellite side only) with this new contract.

Isn't ironic that this new ANT1 deal was struck one week before Mega & Alter sign off from Directv? Maybe this is a ploy by ANT1 & Dish Network to get Mega & Alter to come back to Dish. We've known for a month now about the Greek channels leaving Directv and we still don't know 100% where they are going. At least with Alpha we knew by mid-December that they would join Dish Network on New Year's Day.

I don't want to sound "Antennistic" but it looks positive to me that sports will be added to the Antenna Prime. Most likely, since ERT -as the whole country- is broke, will not have any soccer next year and Antenna might be picking it up.

Of course if they pick Olympiakos, they gonna hit big home run

If they had a 10-year deal why did they sign a new contract before the ten years are up? They remind me of these couples that renew their vows which were supposed to not have an expiration date to need renewal in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been reported on another board that ANT1 Prime will be launching in mid-April. I guess that means we will find out the fate of Blue & ANT1 Gold very shortly?!

I noticed in the press release it states that ANT1 Prime will also air music programs which is why I am wondering if Blue might be shut down as well?! Also, it appears this channel will air current stuff in addition to the older shows & series. Why do they need to air the same programming on two channels?! I suspect that the new stuff will debut on ANT1 Satellite then repeat a short while later on ANT1 Prime?!

Antenna Prime, a 24/7 channel featuring Antenna

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on Ant1 Prime? I thought it was supposed to launch by now.

Also, I assume with the the signing of this new contract that Ant1 Satellite is still exclusive to Dish Network on the satellite front, even though that is not explicitly mentioned in the press release?

Archived