Phantis Forums

New Greek Channel Package Platform.

Personally, I had effectively ruled out Home2us after seeing all the potential start-up costs associated with it, but if I am able to use my current DirecTV set up without the need to reposition anything or change the LNB, and if they offer a deal on the receivers and the packages are reasonable/cheap, I would very well consider it. That is a lot of ifs though, and that's the worrying part. The bad part of this scenario is that up-start costs still would be way to much for new subs who did not have DirecTV before. They would effectively lock out all potential new subs as it appears start up costs are too much. Of course this is all speculation (costs) on my part. I am still hoping they strike some type of last minute deal with Dish Network and save everyone the hassle because this is just getting beyond ridiculous. Especially since I foresee them all moving again in the future. :blink: Another worrying part is that this new Ant1 deal might hamper negotiations with Dish further....but then again maybe it will help them realize that the Greek package on Dish is far more stable.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think MEGA wanted to be A La Carte but not requiring people to subscribe to Ant1 Elite package first so you can't get Mega without getting the Elite pack first, I think thats the whole point to this argument IMO.

You can always get an a la carte without subscribing to a package, that is the case with every a la carte option on Dish. MEGA is just lying through their teeth here (or, to be accurate, maybe just the person they have answering e-mails) trying to calm people down.

MEGA has NOW, way past time, realized it had the most subscribers when it was in a package with ANTENNA and ERT on Dish and now they want in, but ALPHA beat them to it.

I have noticed that MEGA Cosmos is the only channel people are talking about, no one appears to be interested in the other channels that GMG offers. With this in mind, it doesn't look good for the Home2US package, if it does indeed come to fruition. As I have mentioned in other discussions here on the forums, the main channels most people are interested in are ANT1, ERT & MEGA, the rest are filler crap. You could also add Alpha for those who like the reality stuff, the only show that interests me is Lazopoulos show as it reminds me of Xari Klyn-type comedy.

It would be interesting to know who really is at fault here- GMG, Dish Network or perhaps both?! I think for their sake, GMG has to find a way to get MEGA on Dish, they have more at stake here than Dish Network does.

I have noticed that MEGA Cosmos is the only channel people are talking about, no one appears to be interested in the other channels that GMG offers. With this in mind, it doesn't look good for the Home2US package, if it does indeed come to fruition. As I have mentioned in other discussions here on the forums, the main channels most people are interested in are ANT1, ERT & MEGA, the rest are filler crap. You could also add Alpha for those who like the reality stuff, the only show that interests me is Lazopoulos show as it reminds me of Xari Klyn-type comedy.

It would be interesting to know who really is at fault here- GMG, Dish Network or perhaps both?! I think for their sake, GMG has to find a way to get MEGA on Dish, they have more at stake here than Dish Network does.

HellasHab, if GSM puts MEGA on Dish, who will get Home2US for their other channels?

HellasHab, if GSM puts MEGA on Dish, who will get Home2US for their other channels?

No one is interested in those other channels so even if MEGA doesn't go to Dish, how many will subscribe to Home2US just for MEGA?! I seriously doubt it will be available a la carte, so you will be stuck with signing up for an entire package just to get one channel.

I think that whole package of channels is worth $20 at most and Mega is $15 of it. I'm at a point where I'm encouraging people to boycott home2us just because that email that the greekmediagroup posted was full of lies and typical Greek business practices. Lets let them know who is in charge.

I think you guys are pretty much right. Those channels are the ones with the most pull, all for their own reasons. The others also have some good qualities and programs too, but I don't think enough to create reasonable demand a-la-carte. They would just be a nice plus onto any package really.

Maybe it would be best to just create a custom channel like "Ellas+" from Australia, which could combine the highlights from Alter Globe and Star International and try to get that and Mega Cosmos onto Dish Network. GMTV would not be needed as they already have Blue, they already have ERT, and also ERT already airs some programing from RIK if I recall. But they could even add some RIK programing into that custom channel if they wanted to.

You can always get an a la carte without subscribing to a package, that is the case with every a la carte option on Dish. MEGA is just lying through their teeth here (or, to be accurate, maybe just the person they have answering e-mails) trying to calm people down.

MEGA has NOW, way past time, realized it had the most subscribers when it was in a package with ANTENNA and ERT on Dish  and now they want in, but ALPHA beat them to it.

You could get it, but for someone who does not subscribe to American programming it would be around 25 dollar just for Mega a-la carte. And it they wanted ANT1, ERT, Alpha, and Mega, it would be 50 dollars --- Elite + Mega a-la-carte. (40 if you subscribe to American programing) Plus taxes and leasing fees, but that's standard.

Guys good morning to all of you. I read all your comments and some of them were correct while other comments were completely wrong. As an ex-dishnetwork employee. Am going to clarify some issues. If you sign up with Dish or Direct tv you automatically sign up for a 24 months commitments meaning if you decide to close your account you will pay a prorated penalty of $10 per month remaining on your contact. Also you required to retun all equipment except the dish on the roof. But if you have access to it they need the LNB to be returned. If you say that you cant access it or is dangerous you do not have to return. They dont want to get their customers killed by falling off. Of course they do not charge you for it.

As for the new satelite company it will be a disaster for any of the greek channels that will go there. Ant1 has many loyal customers and will not go to any new platforms they are not stupid to move since they are already established. Good example for that was Mega that left Dish and now is wondering around on where they are going to be.

For me the future is iptv, because you do not need satelites or anything except a small receiver and internet access. Here in US we have cable and in greece Connex started the same. As of March when Ellas TV started their service I dropped my greek package I had from dish and now I get all channels directly live from Greece through ellas tv, for only 50 dollars per months and am getting besides the satellite greek channels all the other channels that broadcast in greece live. we are talking about over 20 live channels. Who can beat that? Thats why I think the more of us we subscribe the better out greek tv future will be and we will not care where the sat channels will move next year. Let others worry about that. Look into the future guys and that is IPTV.

Thanks

Elias

PS. Last month dish came by my house and added another dish (before i dropped the greek package) because the international channels are being moved away from 61.5 that was before, so some of you were saying that if you swap LNB from Direct tv to dishnet will work, which is completely incorrect statement because Dish and direct have their own satelites that are in a different orbit. Also dish is not allowed to touch direct tv equimpent and vice versa. The reason for leaving the dish on the roof even if you close the account is mainly of future customers installing dish which will be easier and second it costs the company to send out installers to remove them.

why? is wrong to try to promote something that I think is the best and the future of it? Here at the forum don't we all talk what the best will be for all the greeks? If dish or direct would offer the best programming wouldn't i say the same? But personally I think the best right now is Ellas tv, whatever you all say. Don't you get that, the more people we get this service the brighter the future of our Greek programming will be?

For me the future is iptv, because you do not need satelites or anything except a small receiver and internet access. Here in US we have cable and in greece Connex started the same. As of March when Ellas TV started their service I dropped my greek package I had from dish and now I get all channels directly live from Greece through ellas tv, for only 50 dollars per months and am getting besides the satellite greek channels all the other channels that broadcast in greece live.

IPTV may or may not be the future, but ELLAS TV has no future. Sooner or later the channels will go after them for illegally broadcasting them and then where will the $220 for the receiver go?

Also, even if it were legal, in the evening when people in the US watch TV, channels in Greece show informercials and such. The international versions of the channels may not be as good as the original but at least they are tailored to US time, or at least eastern standard time.

I was told by a rep that they are working to offer some channels like MEga and Antenna on US time besides live and also don't forget you will also have their satelite channels like Ert world, Mega cosmos, Alter globe and as we speak they add more channels.

I also want to say something, dont you think the best advertisement of a product is to let the customers talk about that product. What do you see in commercials on tv? People that used something and worked and tell about it.

Someone mentioned earlier that $220 dollars was a lot for Ellas TV receiver? I guess some of you have short memory but in the 90's I bought the Dishnetwork receiver $700 and later for the HD I paid $250 and on and on. Also dish network came up with a 3D receiver for customers who want 3D programming which they only have 3D PPV movies only, go see how much do they give it for. Do you think is free? Now they give receivers not the 3D, for free which technically it is not yours because you are under commitment and you can't close it anytime you want without a penalty.The more you sell one product the more the price falls, simply economics guys.

Someone mentioned earlier that $220 dollars was a lot for Ellas TV receiver? I guess some of you have short memory but in the 90's I bought the Dishnetwork receiver $700 and later for the HD I paid $250 and on and on. Also dish network came up with a 3D receiver for customers who want 3D programming which they only have 3D PPV movies only, go see how much do they give it for. Do you think is free? Now they give receivers not the 3D, for free which technically it is not yours because you are under commitment and you can't close it anytime you want without a penalty.The more you sell one product the more the price falls, simply economics guys.

Either you don't want to understand or you have some interests to protect--the issue is not how much the start up costs are, it is that the start up costs would be for something that will be gone as soon as appropriate agencies enforce the law.

I have been with Dish since 2001 up to now and with Directv (for MEGA) since 2006.

As far as Dish is concerned, I have started with the 322 DVR reciever, later I upgraded to VIP 622 HD DVR receiver and 2 years ago I added a VIP 722. I have not paid anything for the recievers, the only commitment was to be with them for 24 months since I got the 722. This is Dish. Have you found a better remote control and user friendly UI that the Dish's? I have not. Directv's suck big time. 3 to 4 second delays between clicks not to mention the fact that you cannot program anything more that 10 minutes before start time. And you need that for Greek Programming don't you?

Would I commit to HOME2US for any legth of time or ellastv?

You can guess my answer.

You can't compare back then for the options that exist today. Directv started in 1994 and Dish Network in 1996. The small dish system was a new technology back then so naturally it would have been expensive. IPTV in 2011 is not new, so $220 is a bit steep.

Plus, this Ellas TV is only just over a month old. It still has to prove itself and naturally people will be skeptical about it. Maybe they have the right to carry the channels that broadcast in Greece but as for Mega Cosmos, Alter Globe, and ERT World I'm not so sure.

Any other solution except DISH NETWORK will be unacceptable and I encourage anyone affected to boycott them as I will do, even if they offer me a free receiver. At this point it is a matter of principle.

I honestly think they should get Mega Cosmos on Dish Network, and then create a custom channel of content (like I suggested a few posts up) from Alter and Star and try to get that on-board at a later time too. That would be the best solution IMO, and subscribers would have a pretty complete line up. I hope someone is listening. ;)

I was told by a rep that they are working to offer some channels like MEga and Antenna on US time

Ant1 specifically confirmed that they have nothing to do with Ellas TV. At this point they are broadcasting the channel illegally, along with a few other obvious ones. As others have said, the legality of the service is what is being put into question here.

some of you were saying that if you swap LNB from Direct tv to dishnet will work, which is completely incorrect statement because Dish and direct have their own satelites that are in a different orbit.

I don't think anyone said that. What was asked was if the same DirecTV set up could be potentially used for Home2us if someone wanted only Greek channels, and without the need to swap out LNBs and re point since they are at the same orbital location. Thanks for the rest of the info though.

ttentelh, this thread is about the supposed new Greek package launching on Home2US.  If you want to discuss Ellas TV then please do so in the Ellas TV thread.

Thanks. :)

HellasHub,

he knows what he is doing: the people behind ellastv are the same people who are behind the Greek package on Home2US, as you might have noticed in the RIK announcement by TITAN SVP Her Majesty Georgia Dumas.

With the same goal: rip off once more the suckers who would fall for it.

Well, I am afraid that suckers for their teeth do not exist any more.

ellastv is a completely illegal service with a great vision: streaming amongst others American movies and series from NOVA back to the US

Wait for the Hollywood studios to find out and, instead of streaming, you gonna hear and see a lot of screaming :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Mega Cosmos is going to Home2US is what they now tell people at Greek Media Group. A friend who has directv said they told him when Home2US announces the new package they can call the company to realign the existing dish (they told him it is a minor realignment but necessary nonetheless) and get a new receiver and LNB (no details on who shoulders this cost and the visit from the tech guy). They can keep the directv dish. Those with US programming will now have two receivers, one for Directv US and one for Home2US.

My friend said they start the call with "the deal with dish network did not go through," obviously a ploy to pacify people and an indication they have gotten lots of angry calls about that.Ok, so they did not want to get MEGA on Dish and I believe they never even had that as an option--which is their choice and their right, after all. They do represent more channels than MEGA and they wanted to look out for all of them, bundling them with MEGA which is their sole product with some market value.

So there you have it: If people want to get MEGA they will have to jump through the new set of hoops that channel is putting them through every few years. Happy Greek Independence day! :)

So there you have it: If people want to get MEGA they will have to jump through the new set of hoops that channel is putting them through every few years.

What about cable?! MEGA Cosmos is currently available through RCN & Cablevision, do they not plan on getting the channel on more platforms such as Comcast, Time Warner or Verizon FiOS?! Someone should ask GMG what their plans are regarding cable distribution. If it launches on more cable platforms then you don't have to worry about Home2US, just sign up with cable instead of satellite.

What about cable?! MEGA Cosmos is currently available through RCN & Cablevision, do they not plan on getting the channel on more platforms such as Comcast, Time Warner or Verizon FiOS?! Someone should ask GMG what their plans are regarding cable distribution. If it launches on more cable platforms then you don't have to worry about Home2US, just sign up with cable instead of satellite.

This would make too much sense for a greek company to implement

Archived