Phantis Forums

New Greek Channel Package Platform.

Just an update. I received my smart cards in the mail yesterday. They are Irdeto zeta cards.

According to the GreekTV-America website, they have already raised the price of the complete Greek package from $39.99 to $46.99. :nono:

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be very interested in knowing if anyone can get the DVR functionality working. Being spoiled by Dish & Directv DVRs makes this offering a non-starter for my family without this capability.

Thanks!

Currently the PVR functionality is not supported, I don't think... or the remote would have the buttons to operate the PVR.

If in the future they add that functionality I think they would have to give us a new remote control. And If that's the case I hope the increase the size of it.

They told me that they are talking about it since many people ask for PVR capability.

I am with you. I am spoiled. Unless is live sports I never watch anything live.

There is no dedicated PVR button on the remote, but you can set timed events (tune to channel, etc) for specific times through the user settings in the menu. You can also set "reservations" in the EPG, although the EPG is currently not programed. (I really hope they do program it) Also the red and yellow buttons on the remote currently don't do anything when tuned in to a channel. Maybe one of those could be set as a record button. The middle arrow buttons could possible be used for Play, stop, pause, rewind, fast forward, etc. So I don't think a new remote would even be necessary, just a firmware update to add PVR capabilities/a PVR menu and an external hard drive. It would be nice if they push out an update to be able to support PVR in the near future, it would be a huge plus in my opinion. (especially if it is at no extra monthly charge, just your own hard drive) It must have the potential capabilities since the manual mentions it. For me though, it is not a big problem as I only record a few shows here and there with my DVD recorder. Of course I would probably record a lot more if I had a PVR. ;)

Edit: Actually I forgot that there is already a pause button on the remote, but all that does currently is pause the frame/picture while the program and audio still continue. Not sure what the purpose of that is currently. Maybe it is just built in envisioning PVR capabilities in the future like pausing live TV.

As can be seen on this forum, this looks like a debacle. Now they jacked the price up to 46.99. Wait until next year when Gianni wants to buy a BMW in Greece and its 51.99. These Greek channels are all a scam. And people wonder why we are in financial ruins...

As can be seen on this forum, this looks like a debacle. Now they jacked the price up to 46.99. Wait until next year when Gianni wants to buy a BMW in Greece and its 51.99. These Greek channels are all a scam. And people wonder why we are in financial ruins...

I am pretty sure that they can justify the price raise due to the fact that ALTER filed for law 99, the equivalent of chapter 11. Too bad for the people working there, but you can cross one out from the 46.99 package

So basically this top package is now coming out around the same monthly price as the top package was on DirecTV ($34.99 plus $10-$13 dollars basic programming) and about 10 dollars more than the (current price) top package on Dish Network. ($24.99 plus $10.00 international access fee/basic) So much for hoping for a more affordable package, it seems nothing ever changes with the Greek channels. Let's see what they would do with the price if Alter ends up shutting down for good, unless they are planning to add to the package. Their site mentions that, but then again all companies say they hope for new channel additions in the future.....

Just for comparison since we are also comparing pricing:

Greektv-America/Home2us

Main: Mega, ERT, RIK, Star, Alter (who knows what will happen with them though?)

Niche: GMTV, radio stations

Dish Network

Main: Ant1, Alpha, ERT (may leave soon?)

Niche: Ant1 Prime, radio stations

RIK Sat , ERT World , STAR International , ERA Sport are up on Home2US

Mega Cosmos is now encrypted on Home2US if you are using a FTA receiver

If you are using the Euro World receiver Mega Cosmos , RIK Sat , STAR Int are open

ERT World is encrypted on the Euro World receiver.

DKSat

Thanks for the update DKSat. I am happy to also confirm that I am receiving Mega, RIK, and Star free without a smart card on my Euro-world network receiver. :) I assume this is just a free preview for now. Do you know if they are still planning to add all three ERT radio stations currently available in North America? Their site doesn't seem to mention them.

Also, one thing I noticed right off the bat about Star though is that the times listed in the commercials are only for Australia. Hopefully they add US times soon, they used to list both US and Australian times for a while from what I remember Kolossos posting a few years back.

Thanks for the update DKSat. I am happy to also confirm that I am receiving Mega, RIK, and Star free without a smart card on my Euro-world network receiver. :) I assume this is just a free preview for now. Do you know if they are still planning to add all three ERT radio stations currently available in North America? Their site doesn't seem to mention them.

Also, one thing I noticed right off the bat about Star though is that the times listed in the commercials are only for Australia. Hopefully they add US times soon, they used to list both US and Australian times for a while from what I remember Kolossos posting a few years back.

Star stopped showing USA times shortly after they got dumped by RCN....

Great news.

Home2us is now offering DVR receivers to there customers for the Greek package.

DKSat

That is great news! Is there any additional cost like a monthly fee? What do the people who already got receivers have to do to get one? Or is it just an upgrade of the current receiver?

And I was shopping around for a DVD recorder with hard drive.

Great news if true. Most likely there will be a monthly cost but that's the case with Dish or DirecTV so I am ok with it.

By the way the channels are still unecrypted.

Great news.

Home2us is now offering DVR receivers to there  customers for the Greek package.

DKSat

That is great news! Is there any additional cost like a monthly fee? What do the people who already got receivers have to do to get one? Or is it just an upgrade of the current receiver?

No there is no additional cost or monthly DVR service. They send you the new DVR receiver and you send the one you have back. I just ordered mine.

I didn't bother to ask technical questions, I will wait and see its capabilities. It would be nice if you can pause live TV though.

• 2 weeks later...

Good job they had then free for a while so each one of us could evaluate them and ajust their package accordingly. As a summary for myself:

1. RIK SAT. I couldn't find a single program to watch on it.

2. STAR international is far below my standards or style of programming.

3. GMTV... MEGA COSMOS does have a lot of music instead of commercials.

4. ALTER GLOBE... Not worth it for listening Tragas argue with Makri on the evening news

5. ERT WORLD. I get it through Dish Network and until it moves out of there I am keeping it.

Therefore, I am sticking with just MEGA COSMOS as it was my original plan.

My new DVR receiver arrives today. I will post my comments for it in the next few days.

I did a re-scan today, and the following radio stations show up on the channel list:

Voice of Greece

ERA Sport

ERA 1 (Net 105,8)

ERA 2 (Deftero 103,7)

ERA 3 (Tritou 90,9)

From what I looked up, I think ERA 1-3 are the stations I put in parenthesis, but I may be wrong. I think that ERA Sport is also technically ERA4, and Voice of Greece is ERA5.

My new DVR receiver arrives today. I will post my comments for it in the next few days.

Any update on the DVR if you received it? Capabilities, capacity, functionality, etc? Interested to find out.

Archived