Phantis Forums

New Greek Channel Package Platform.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am with all of you guys. Although I am really only interested in MEGA COSMOS and I would pay the $20.00 for it as it is, I cannot get by the fact that the rest of the packages are a rip off big time. If it took them a month to come up with this garbage they are

UPDATE

A friend of mine just talked to a customer service representative just a few minutes ago. They DO have a free receiver special, if you subscribe to a 6 month subscription. I am going to give them a call back later when I am not busy to get more details about everything.

ERT world is no longer testing on

Packages:

There will be three packages:

[*]Mega Cosmos

$19.99

I think it should be higher. Mega Cosmos subscribers have proven that you can put them through anything (change platforms three times, leave them without any info every single time) and they will still pay, so I hope Mega listens to me and ups their price to $40. After all, now that Greece is no longer investing on big budget public construction for AKTOR to grab, how will Bobolas make money?

I think it should be higher.

You know I really hate to be defending them since just a few posts ago I was complaining about the pricing too (but mostly because of the ridiculous RIK thing) but if you subscribed to DirecTV only for international programing Mega a-la-carte was 15+10 (basic programing)= $25. Same situation on Dish when it was a-la-carte 15+10 (international access fee) = $25. Same with the other Greek a-la-carte channels on both of those platforms too. (Alpha, Alter, ANT1, ERT) They have been way overpriced as we have discussed numerous times on this forum, but this is technically a decrease if you factor in the access and programing fees from DirecTV and Dish Network before.

this is technically a decrease if you factor in the access and programing fees from DirecTV and Dish Network before.

Not really. If they had gone to Dish, current subscribers to ERT and ANTENNA would only be paying $15 more. Not to mention MEGA would be able to tap into that subscriber base. Now their ceiling is those who had directv. They keep shrinking their numbers and thus increase their price. Don't forget with Directv and Dish those access fees went to the companies--MEGA still collected $15. Now they go to MEGA. They really believe that people should pay $20 to watch "proino moy." And yet the same product costs less on cable, such as RCN. Whom do they think they are fooling?

$15 on top of Ant1 and ERT would still have a +$10 access fee if you subscribe only to Greek channels. So in that scenario it would come out to $50/month for Ant1, Alpha, ERT, Mega, Ant1 Prime, + radio. (This is also assuming that the Elite package would stay $25, which I personally do not think it will) Not much of a better situation for subs in the money department if they went that route, but they would be open up to a long time customer base. We all know they are overpriced though, it is no secret. Just compare them to other ethnic channels who charge way less.

We all know they are overpriced though, it is no secret. Just compare them to other ethnic channels who charge way less.

Or, as I already said, just compare them to their own price on other venues like RCN! :nono:

And it is also the same deal with Ant1 which is also on cable and charges less on some than they do a-la-carte on Dish Network. For example on Optimum cable they are just 9.95/month each, and just $14.95/month for Ant1 and Mega together. My point was though that other ethnic channels on satellite charge less, but the Greek channels charge more for years now.

DKSat, do you know if ERT World is a "done deal"? It is on the banner on the Home2us site, but they are referring all inquirers into Greek programing to EWN. When I called them up they said they were still working on ERT World. Before I could ask more I was disconnected by accident, might call later again.

This is the latest news.

ERT World is not going to Home2us Platform it will stay on Dish Network.

DKSat

Please tell me this is an April Fools Joke?!

I hate this day, can we just skip April 1 and go directly to April 2?!

I don't think DKSat jokes. What DKSat says is pretty legit. I've been following the forum for 4 1/2 years and everything DKSat reports has pretty much been true. DKSat is the most reliable person we have on this forum when it comes to news on the Greek channels. :tup:

Sadly I don't think its a joke. Once again we are getting the short end of the deal. :tdown: :tdown:

On that note, Home2us is looking less and less attractive. I could maybe stomach the $40 price, especially with the free receiver offer, but now this news of no ERT makes it worse.

On that note, Home2us is looking less and less attractive. I could maybe stomach the $40 price, especially with the free receiver offer, but now this news of no ERT makes it worse.

I will say it again, I think that is why MEGA is charging more than any channel has ever dared to--because they know they keep shrinking their subscriber base. They had the largest number when on DISH, then a fraction of that on Directv, now a fraction of that smaller audience will follow them on Home2US. Without ERT obviously nobody will ditch DISH for that new platform (I doubt they would do it before either, with ANTENNA having so many sports and strong loyalty base). It's basically a question of who is willing to fork over $20 monthly plus the technician visit for re-alignment. There will be people, for sure. But not all its former Directv subscribers, no doubt.

It looks like in order to get a free receiver you must pay upfront for 6 months of service plus you must contract -and pay- the installer on your own to replace the LNB, which of course you pay.

Total upfront cost for the package of MEGA RIK ALTER GTV STAR for six months: $ 500

Well, I revise my projection for subscribers for the first six months: the subscribers to the package in the first six months will be below 100.

(Its fair to say though that I take into account that summer is ahead of us and within those six months).

On another front, related to the "postponement of the launch of ERT on Home2US until May 1st": Dish is a PAY TV operator and, from what I see, does not carry any free to air channels, simply because there is no money to be made there.

If ERT goes to Home2US in May, then Dish may stop carrying ERT altogether, since there will be no profit for Dish.

Would ERT risk upsetting (to use a mild word) the people who watch it at Dish (30,000?) for more than 10 years in order to be watched by 100 subs on Home2US?

I seriously doubt it.

It's puzzling to me that April 1st is a little over half over and yet still no announcement from the GreekTV-America website and absolutely no update on the Greek Media Group website. If it's a done deal what are they waiting for? :nono:

I just got a e-mail reply from GMG and this is what they wrote me:

Mega is available through EWN.Pls call our 1-800-306-7526 to get your free equipment and one month FREE Preview. Pls let them know that you are DirecTV subscriber in order to get the offer.

If busy, pls call 1-888-788-3876

TITAN team

I just got a e-mail reply from GMG and this is what they wrote me:

Mega  is available through EWN.Pls call our 1-800-306-7526 to get your free equipment and one month FREE Preview. Pls let them know that you are DirecTV subscriber in order to get the offer.

So if some poor chap wants to add RIK SAT now and did not have directv they don't get a free receiver and also have to pay for the dish and installation? What a success that will be...

TITAN team

Is that the same TITAN team that is involved with Ellas TV and bringing RIK SAT to it?

Archived