Phantis Forums

New Greek Channel Package Platform.

There is going to be a new Greek Channel Package Platform to start on a domestic KU Satellite with 6 Greek channels.

The name of the satellite and the name of the Platform and Pricing will be announce SOON is not Directv or Dish Network and there will be American Packages available including Movies and PPV.

The platform will have the following Greek Channels

Mega Cosmos

ERT World

Alter Globe

Star Channel

RIK Sat

GMTV

It will be nice if Antenna and Alpha will join the new Platform so we do not have two different satellite providers for the Greek Channels.

DKSat

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this is a very interesting development! I definitely did not see this coming.

It seems like all the Greek media group channels, as well as ERT World which is a huge plus for them in my opinion. (and also explains why they added it to their site) It would be great to see Ant1 and Alpha on there too, but doesn't Ant1 have an exclusive satellite deal with Dish? I wonder what type of deal Alpha signed with Dish.....it is interesting that they are not listed on Dish's website...

It really is a shame they couldn't get on Dish and just be on one platform, but I hope that the prices will be reasonable. I wonder what type of guarantee they will give to customers....Who is to say they wont leave this platform a few years down the line again.

There is going to be a new Greek Channel Package Platform to start on a domestic KU Satellite with 6 Greek channels.

Aside from Dish & DirecTV, the only other satellite providers in the US that I am aware of are GlobeCast and Home2US- both are ethnic channel providers. I would bet that they are probably going to the Home2US platform, they are an upstart ethnic channel service that currently offers Albanian, Croatian, Serbian & Dutch programming- looks like the Greek channels will fit right in!

I don't see how Antenna could join this service when they are locked into an exclusive 10 year agreement with Dish- are they not?! Also, they are not really needed IMO, this looks like a decent package with the addition of ERT World, ANT1's programming is garbage and getting worse by the day.

Also, they are not really needed IMO, this looks like a decent package with the addition of ERT World, ANT1's programming is garbage and getting worse by the day.

Aside from Sports rights which are ANT1's biggest asset in my opinion, if they could get Alpha on board they would not need ANT1. Their programming is very similar in many areas, and they are slowly eating away at ANT1's number 2 spot in Greece.

The name of the satellite and the name of the Platform and Pricing will be announce SOON is not Directv or Dish Network and there will be American Packages  available  including Movies and  PPV.

The platform will  have the following Greek Channels

Mega Cosmos

ERT World

Alter Globe

Star Channel

RIK Sat

GMTV

It will be nice if Antenna and Alpha will join the new Platform so we do not have two  different satellite providers for the Greek Channels.

DKSat

It will be a disaster. There, I called it first. :whistle:

Perhaps what I wanted to convey was not clear before, but my point was that if it was not for Sports, ANT1 Satellite would be as much of a disaster as the main ANT1 is in Greece currently. They are losing audience shares day by day. Sports rights are the only thing that makes ANT1 Satellite as attractive as it is right now imo. What WOULD be interesting, is if one of the other Greek channels (besides ERT) decides to bid on rights in the future. That is when things will get interesting imo.

likos i said that American programming with movies sports and basic packages will be available and also local channels.

Also my information is that Ant 1 contract with dish is up they are no longer in contract with dish.

DKSat

DK, if that is true then this will get very interesting. I really hope ANT1 and Alpha join them at some point to save consumers the hassle of having two separate platforms.

As Home2US currently has no American programing, it appears it will be a different platform. (Unless they plan to add American programing as well?)

Like I said before, I honestly did not expect this. I expected Mega to go to Dish, and Alter and GMTV to exit the market. What a twist in the Greek channel wars. :box:

likos i said that American programming with movies sports and basic packages will be available and also local channels.

Also my information is that Ant 1 contract with dish is up they are no longer in contract with dish.

DKSat

My mistake, I thought you had said movies and PPV only. Basic programming (and the possibility of ANT1 and all its Greek football coverage) would certainly make things exciting.

Well if that is the case then I am stumped and have no clue what provider you are referring to?!

Interesting, so are the ten years up already or perhaps they got out of their deal early?! Does this mean they are leaving Dish or have they signed a new deal?! I wonder what this means for ANT1 Retro channel & Blue- will Dish continue to carry them or drop them?!

The biggest reason I can see ANT1 sticking with Dish though, is that Dish is willing to carry their other channels. (20 years channel, Blue, radio stations)

This new platform sure seems like it will be attractive though. Who knows what will happen.

I agree with the other person, this is a disaster. Nobody is going to get another dish or go with a ku band because no matter what package they have, it won't be nearly as good as what Directv or Dish are offering. If they were smart, they would just stick with dishnetwork and get as many channels as possible. Nobody is going to get a ku dish put up and go through all this hassle. Just like very few people jumped to directv and they are the biggest satellite company in the US.

It looks like the article has been pulled Grk101, the link you posted is a dead end. Also, Intelsat 10-02 is not a satellite that is viewable in North America, its primarily for Europe, Asia and the Middle East. According to the info on LyngSat, Alpha TV & ERT World are available on there but the feed is for Europe.

I still cannot figure out what platform this would be if it also has American programming?! I will stick with my initial guess of Home2US service- perhaps they plan on adding US channels to their lineup as well?!

Some of the info on my first post is not accurate .

The American programming will be from Directv this is a OPTION ONLY if you want American programing.

Existing Directv customers that now have the Greek Channels and American programing. the only thing is to re-point the existing Directv International dish to SES 1 at 101.0 w and swap out the LNBF so it will work for both Satellite providers.

Satellite: SES 1 at 101.0 w

Satellite providers: Home2US platform.

American programing: Directv this is a option.

Satellite Directv 45/8 at 101.0 w

Satellite Dish:

Directv International Dish or 30" to 33" (75cm) KU Dish

Receiver:MPEG-2 and DVB-S standards with Smart card

Price per month: ???????????

DKSat

That is an interesting set up DK, thanks for the exclusive information once again! Looks like the guess about home2us was right! Will Dish Network equipment also work, or is that dish too small?

I hope they announce some specials with this launch (like they did when they launched on DirecTV) for those of us who have leased equipment and don't plan to keep DirecTV. It seems in that case we will have to buy the equipment for this service, but who is to say they won't leave again in a year though? What guarantee are they going to give? <_<

Looking at the prices on Home2us for the other language packages, they seem pretty reasonable. For example the top Croatian package has 6 channels for $25.99. I wonder how the Greek package will be priced.....but knowing their (Greek channels) history of greed..... :ph34r:

Satellite providers: Home2US platform

Well what do you know, I was right! :D

Good move to partner up with DirecTV on the English programming but why couldn't they have just keep the Greek channels on their platform?! I think with the addition of ERT World, the package might have been more successful?!

Looking at the prices on Home2us for the other language packages, they seem pretty reasonable.

One thing to note is that the Home2US website has not been updated in at least a year, perhaps longer than that. There are several channels that are no longer offered, (Korean service moved to DirecTV & RTPi moved to another satellite) that they still list on their website and a new channel that has been added to the Croatian package that is not listed?! Hopefully an update is in the works, otherwise no one will know they even carry the Greek channels?!

Well what do you know, I was right! :D

Good move to partner up with DirecTV on the English programming but why couldn't they have just keep the Greek channels on their platform?! I think with the addition of ERT World, the package might have been more successful?!

One thing to note is that the Home2US website has not been updated in at least a year, perhaps longer than that. There are several channels that are no longer offered, (Korean service moved to DirecTV & RTPi moved to another satellite) that they still list on their website and a new channel that has been added to the Croatian package that is not listed?! Hopefully an update is in the works, otherwise no one will know they even carry the Greek channels?!

The devil will be in the details with this deal.

So I will be very curious for the announcement--and the details.

Yes there is a new Greek Platform .... ITS CALLED ELLAS TV available in the U.S. & Canada.

As of February 10th, 2011

Ellas TV broadcasts Mega Cosmos, Alter Globe, ERT World, Rik Sat, Star, & GMTV. Also additional Greek channels from Greece. Visit our website @ ellastv.gr for further information ..... and please spread the word out Mega Cosmos & Alter Globe are just making changes to a more reliable platform & economical choices for the customer.

Thank You for your support

Ellas TV Marketing Team

Call us 24/7

877 ELLAS TV

RIKSAT Launches on Ellas TV’s IPTV Platform

February 28, 2011 by Greek News

Titan Incorporated, a New York based distributor of Greek television channels and Ellas TV, a high-end Greek IPTV platform have teamed up to deliver RIKSAT to the Greek Cypriot audience in the United States and Canada.

RIKSAT, a 24-hour-a-day Greek language channel owned by the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation, is a combination channel of the best content from CyBC1 and CyBC2 channels. Broadcasting CyBC’s highly rated news and current affairs, its sports programs including live transmission or highlights of major sports in Cyprus, and its own productions featuring highly popular drama and comedy series, RIKSAT is a unique channel that will appeal to the ex-pat audience.

“RIKSAT’s exclusive productions, news, current affairs and sports shows offer a unique viewing experience for the entire family, and now customers can watch RIKSAT through Ellas TV’s platform”, says Georgia Dumas, Senior Vice President of Business Development for Titan Incorporated.

“We are extremely pleased to offer our high-quality programs to overseas Cypriots in the US and Canada, for the first time and we shall do our best to further enrich our content. We look forward to hearing from our ex-pats about reception and quality,” says Themis Themistocleous, Director General of CyBC in Nicosia.

To order RIKSAT and other Greek channels, call 1-877Ellas TV or visit the website www.ellastv.gr

Yeah it is that shady iptv service that was discussed weeks ago. It seems they are trying to cash in on the situation, and are spamming the forum now pitching their service on a few of the threads. Who knows if it is legit or not.

The new Greek Channel Package will be on the Home2US platform on satellite SES 1 at 101.0 w and it is not a IPTV.

The Greek Channel Package will start on April 1 2011 the deal is DONE.

DKSat

Archived