Phantis Forums

Austria - Greece

george21

HT: 0-0

A very poor first half, we've had no chances and we loose possession consistently. Austria have been very unfortunate missing a penalty and scoring a clear goal but disallowed. Samaras should come off as he has been useless and put on Fetfa as attacking midfielder, our attack will be much quicker with Fetfa, Salpi, Christodoulopoulos and Kone. Hopefully we can play better in the second half.

We had a very poor first half but we played with more enthusiasm in the second half and we had good chances to score more goals. Samaras played extremely well and Fotakis made a difference coming on assisting and scoring.

Here are the goals.

Samaras 48'

Fotakis 81'

Good to see Tzorvas get back in there. He should be the Greek national keeper, he earned it at the WC.

Hmm well I am not too sure he had such a great match.

The highlights I have seen show up some pretty basic issues in his game.

For example, it is great he is saving penalty kicks, but he parried the ball straight out. Lucky our defender beat the Austrian to the ball or it would definitely have been 1 nil.

Secondly, Austria appeared to score a perfectly legitimate goal, but it was dissallowed by the referee for whatever reason. Anyway, Tzorvas came out very casually and was timid. He never looked like he was going to get to the ball. The Austrian clearly outjumps him with his head.

Tzorvas should own everything in that 6 yard box. Like every keeper, when they make a commitment to come out, they have to get something on to the ball.

Anyway Tzorvas (and Hellas) was spared by the referee.

However for the Fuchs goal, Tzorvas was in perfect position. Yes the ball had a wicked swerve on it, but he was fixed to his spot and it looked like he had a massive concentration lapse.

He definitely has the raw materials and talent to be a great keeper, but at the moment he is far from us fans having total faith in him.

I think it is good that Santos makes Tzorvas/Sifakis/Konstantopoulos et al earn the GK spot. Maybe they'll fight for it, unlike Nikopolidis's time under Otto.

Hmm well I am not too sure he had such a great match.

The highlights I have seen show up some pretty basic issues in his game.

For example, it is great he is saving penalty kicks, but he parried the ball straight out. Lucky our defender beat the Austrian to the ball or it would definitely have been 1 nil.

Secondly, Austria appeared to score a perfectly legitimate goal, but it was dissallowed by the referee for whatever reason. Anyway, Tzorvas came out very casually and was timid. He never looked like he was going to get to the ball. The Austrian clearly outjumps him with his head.

Tzorvas should own everything in that 6 yard box. Like every keeper, when they make a commitment to come out, they have to get something on to the ball.

Anyway Tzorvas (and Hellas) was spared by the referee.

However for the Fuchs goal, Tzorvas was in perfect position. Yes the ball had a wicked swerve on it, but he was fixed to his spot and it looked like he had a massive concentration lapse.

He definitely has the raw materials and talent to be a great keeper, but at the moment he is far from us fans having total faith in him.

I think it is good that Santos makes Tzorvas/Sifakis/Konstantopoulos et al earn the GK spot. Maybe they'll fight for it, unlike Nikopolidis's time under Otto.

As far as I'm concerned, he can put a saved penalty anywhere he wants to, except into the net behind him, saving a penalty is hard. The defense owes its keeper a play when he saves a penalty. Other than that, you make a lot of good points. I just don't think Sifakis deserved to be handed the starting role like that, and I do think Santos still considers him the starter. I'm glad to see Tzorvas get back in the net and have a solid outing. Maybe he was able to make his case today, who knows? I'm all for the 'keeper that lands us the 3 points. As much as we've complained about Nikopolidis, look how hard replacing him has been. Chalkias didn't even last through qualifiers in his first tournament, Tzorvas for some reason has been benched following imo a good showing at the World Cup, and now it appears to be Sifakis's turn. Your keeper is your last line of defense, and is the vocal leader of the defense, and we need to know who our guy is.

Archived