Phantis Forums

Alter Globe to shut down?!

It looks like Alter Globe may be on its last legs. It is no longer available on UBI World TV in Australia / New Zealand and it was recently removed by Cablevision in the US. This leaves DirecTV in the US as the only provider who carries the channel, perhaps they might drop it as well once they add ERT World?!

It wouldn't surprise me if it did shut down as I have been reading stories in the Greek press that Alter in Greece has been going through financial difficulties- many of the employees have not been paid in months, including the on air talent. They have cut back their programming as well and several of the on air talent left for other channels including Fay Skorda who moved to MEGA and Rania Thraskia who moved to ANT1.

UBI World TV has replaced Alter Globe with some channel called 'Ellas +', which appears to be an original service that they have launched. Here is a link to the description: Ellas+

UBI has actually made Ellas+ to make Alter Globe programming more suitable to our timezone since mostly everything is aimed at the US Market.

Ellas+ will show the best programs from Alter Globe, Alpha, Mega and Star suited to our timezone and timeshift the most popular programs also.

Sounds like an omnibus channel that airs the best from each network?! So why is it that only Alter Globe was removed, MEGA Cosmos, Alpha Sat & Star International are all still listed on their website?! Seems kinda redundant to offer those channels when this Ellas+ channel will be airing programming from those same channels as well?!

I thought MEGA Cosmos already airs stuff according to the local time zone?!

Gives people the option can't just have 1 channel lol

UBI does this for most of there language packages they have 1 inhouse channel which they broadcast the best of so everyone gets a chance to watch the program they want the time they want.

Specially now with daylight savings here we are 9 hours ahead of Greece which has many programs shown late at night now.

Atleast now we don't have to watch those US commercials for Cake shops or cheap idaho potatoes as often anymore ... lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just like to add this

After watching this new channel "Ellas+" just want to say UBI has F***ed up Alter now everything is delayed by like 24 hours, they have made everything show the same time as Greece and what I mean by that is like they show the 7PM news on Thursday night in Greece UBI shows it to us on Friday night in Australia at 7PM such a big delay and all the good stuff is shown either late at night or during the day its total BS!!!! all the morning shows and gossip stuff which used to be shown live in the afternoon/night here now is delayed til the next day total BS!!!!! :angry: :angry:

I am confused here Kolossos, every thing on that schedule is from Alter Globe- where's the programming from Alpha, Mega & Star that you mentioned in an earlier post?! Why did they get rid of Alter Globe, when this channel they created airs pretty much what Alter Globe aired?!

On another note, I noticed that the Ilyda website no longer mentions anything about Alter Globe or GMTV- looks like they no longer have the rights to distribute these channel in North America?! I guess Greek Media Group have taken over distributing these channels?!

I have been told by UBI that the rest of the channels programming will be added soon the channel is still a work in progress. They are also looking at getting some other programming from other channels in Greece that are currently not on UBI to air on Ellas+

• 1 month later...

I am not sure if this is really the right place for this, but is UBI in any way related to the transmission of Alter Globe here in the US?

For the past week or so I have noticed that the channel breaks up every so often. Sometimes it breaks up completely, with an message coming on the screen for a short time. I don't think its a DirecTV problem. Besides the fact that all my other channels work fine, the message on Alter Globe does not seem to be from DirecTV. It does not fit the style of their user interface. Instead it is sort of like a dark red/maroon and white colored box that says "Warning" on top, and then says something like "Searching for signal" and lists the number ""E52-32" at the top left.

After speaking with a DirecTV rep who checked the signals and other stuff, I spoke with a technical support rep who looked into it and said it seems to be a known problem and has been forwarded to the appropriate department. (should be fixed soon) I googled "E52-32", and it seems it is a common warning on UBI, leading me to believe they might be related in some way. They even list it on their help page: http://www.ubiworldtv.com/customer-care/te...nical/box1.html

Hopefully they (whoever is in charge or whatever end the problem is at) fix it soon as it is currently extremely annoying.

UBI World is transmitting Alter Globe and Mega Cosmos to North America via Fiber Optics direct to Directv up ling center in LA California .

Alpha Sat is transmit by Fiber Optics to Dish Network via Germany

The Antenna channels and ERT World are transmit to Dish Network via Satellite over the Atlantic Crossing.

DKSat

Thanks for the info DK, really amazing how this stuff gets to us. It seems the problem with Alter Globe is on UBI's side then, hopefully they fix it as soon as possible. These past few days it has gotten even worse.

Oh wow so it isn't just use here in AU that is getting this problem you guys in the USA are also getting this problem. This has been happening here now for the past 3-4 weeks they fix it then it stuffs up again we have been getting the picture breakup on all greek channels happening mostly in the afternoon/nights. Hopefully they fix it soon as my parents are getting pissed off they can't even watch there shows without interuptions.

• 2 months later...

UBI has actually made Ellas+ to make Alter Globe programming more suitable to our timezone since mostly everything is aimed at the US Market.

Ellas+ will show the best programs from Alter Globe, Alpha, Mega and Star suited to our timezone and timeshift the most popular programs also.

This Ellas+ channel is supposed to be the best of Alpha, Alter, Mega, & Star yet looking at the schedule all the programs are from Alter only. Is this how it's been or does it change from week to week? :gr:

This Ellas+ channel is supposed to be the best of Alpha, Alter, Mega, & Star yet looking at the schedule all the programs are from Alter only. Is this how it's been or does it change from week to week? :gr:
It mostly show Alter programs with a few popular stuff from the other channels thrown in every now and then but mostly Alter programming on it. This channel was mainly made so Alter programming can be scheduled into Australia prime time viewing as Alter Globe mostly suited the US timezone

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what the status of Alter Globe is now that Alter Channel in Greece has filed for bankruptcy?! Things do not look good for Alter in Greece so I assume they may shut down the international service especially since everyone is on strike and they are not airing any original programming except for repeats.

Several on air people have been rumoured to be going to other channels (Haztinikolaou in talks with Skai, Autias back to Alpha) so it looks like even if this service continues it will be a shell of its former self and not really worth subscribing to.

• 2 weeks later...

Just when you thought this channel was a goner, new developments give hope to its survival. Apparently a new economic plan has been brought forth, and the employees have given their support. Live programing may restart again as soon as Monday. All this is also contingent on the court approving Alter's entry into law 99 bankruptcy on June 15...

Alter Channel has officially began broadcasting live programing again with the start of their nightly news program with Nikos Hatzinikolaou.

Let's see how this ends up going this time around. Part of their new plan is to enter law 99 bankruptcy on June 15. If the courts don't approve it, then it will not be good news for the channel once again.

It is not up in the US. A Greek TV America rep said they are waiting for the OK or something the last I spoke with them. Strange that it went down in Australia though, since the feed comes from there as I understand it. Could it be the end of Alter Globe?? Just when things were taking a turn for the better for this channel too. There are even rumors of new journalists in talks to join for the next season. (Biggest being Nikos Evaggelatos)

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say Alter Globe is not shown here anymore hasn't be on Ellas+ for a few weeks now and all mention of it on the UBI site has been removed....

According to the UBI website, the programming guide currently lists programs from Mega & Star for the Ellas + channel. What's the point of this channel if there are already separate Mega & Star channels? It's not like you can get Ellas + a-la-carte. It would be different if you could. It's a waste of a channel to make it look like you're getting a lot of channels for a "good" price.

Here's to Ellas +. :tdown: :nono:

Archived