Phantis Forums

AEK v. PAO

athinaios

This Sunday we're playing AEK at OAKA. They put a spectacular win at Aris last week and they'll be looking to beat us. I hope for a good game. I'm not sure which PAO will show up for this game.

After Wed's game against Kazan, I think it's clear to everyone that PAO's season is solely the domestic league. We have to win this match.

Your thoughts?

i think what is clear is that the team is beginning to find their feet...the only difference is that you cant win in the CL while trying to find your balance and in the SL you can...

govou is set to make a return but will probably feature from the bench...ninis and leto will both be out again, petropoulo, seitaridi should be in and im unsure about kante...

we will probably play

tzorvas, boumsong, sarriegi, vyntra, spyropoulo, simao, silva, kara (kats), lazaro, luis garcia and cisse.

bc aek will be missing both lybe and scocco, i think its unneccesary to play both simao and silva, but simao seems to be in very good shape and silva will never be left out..he will also be...as fresh as he can be for this one after not playing midweek

i hope our defense makes it 3 clean sheets, we have looked more organize as a team defensively the last couple games...boumsong for me, seems like hes beginning to find his feet.

aek are feeling the heat as well..they will be missing lybe and scocco as i said, jahic, patsa, georgias and probably now manolas...we need some good katheti pases to cisse because he has the speed to burn their defense...

this is a derby and its always hard to predict what will happen..hopefully we see a good match...

one thing im concerned about is going down a goal...not once this season have we come back from a deficit and won a match...hopefully as our injuries begin to return we will have more useful attacking options on the bench to freshen the team up..

will there just be aek fans here? does anyone know?

Good analysis PAO123. It's going to be a tough game against a very unpredictable team (with the new coach). It's good for us that Scocco won't play, but Djeabur has enough skill and power to exploit our defense. I hope we play carefully and take an easy win.

Govou is out and so are Petropoulos and Seitaridis. Not sure what's going on, but it looks they are trying to punish Govou for something. If it's for staying up on an off night, I think it's a mistake.

Half: 1-0

PAO not much to show for. I know Garcia had our only shot on goal, but he must be subbed for the second half. If PAO doesn't change the rhythm and play as a cohesive team, it's over.

Are we seeing a repeat of 2005?.... (and the subsequent years)

AEK deserves a second goal. PAO hasn't threatened at all. Even Cisse can't shoot straight.

Tzorvas saves PAO. Nice run by AEK and good combination for a great shot on goal.

PAO players can even make good crosses into AEK's box. :angry:

more underperforming......its just been a garbage season for us so far, way way below what we expected and its absolutley time to fire Nioplias.

Also its amazing that Sariegui has a professional contract with PAO. The guy has been horrible for years and still hes kept around.

As for Luis Garcia, has no purpose/business at his club. Really, he sucks. Hes sucked EVERY game hes played. We didnt need a backup AM. We need DEFENDERS!!!!!!! Boumsong is ONE. We needed two or three.

Anyways.......Nioplias has been worthless. I've seen absolutley nothing good or pleasing from the team this season, and the results are matching that too. The team needs to be shook up...a new coach is a good option.

Last season (earlier this year) I thought that Nioplias was a breathe of fresh air amongst Greek managers. Then he made a stupid comment during the WC when we lost to South Korea and I sort of brushed it off.....then this season against Barcelona he selected the wrong team and his tactics were amateurish.

I put it down to playing Barca away even though doubts of his real abilities started. I think the final straw was when he failed against FC Copenhagen. He was in the media saying how PAO are favourites etc etc and then instructed his players to play like castrated donkeys.

I knew the minute that Garcia was signed he would be a flop....guess what...he is! A manager that continues to select him is no better.

PAO deserve what they're getting at the moment.

wats worse is we could of freed ourselves of sarriegi this summer as he's contract expired instead we renewed it

i think that and signing luis garcia and plessis were the dumbest moves of the summer

.and look where its taken us

i reckon that when we had ten cate the team would always enter the arena with much more of a purpose and with a plan

There is no serious strategy about signing players! Read Kuper and Szymanski's "Soccernomics" book esp. the section of the buying and selling policies of Olympique Lyonais pp 64-73 (inc. buying young players) and you see how backward and short-sighted (make a splash & get people to buy season tickets) Panathinaikos' transfer tactics are -- one could produce a hall of fame of plus 30 year olds who were a total bust, beginning with Aljosa Asanovic...

all good....

to be honest i didnt want ten cate to be sacked either, i think he should of stayed to finish his project....for which nioplias went on and scrapped through to the title.

ten cate was definately a much more disciplined coach then nioplias

but even with nioplias, i believe the guy understands the game and is good with our younger players, esp from experience with the NT youth teams, i think he has the potential to become a great coach, only thing with some fans is there not happy with him using pao to gain the experience necessary to become a good club manager,

Not just ten Cate, what about Shum and Markarian? PAO have had some great coaches over the years but, for some reason or another, always winds up sacking them!

Btw, drakos13, I am in agreement with you as far as Luis Garcia and Sarriegui go --> :tdown:

Nioplias was never a hero at PAO for winning the protathlima.

Yes he won it, but its not like we played up to our capabilities doing so. We lost all the derbies, couldn't win the big games, and we let a great lead slip down so that other teams were in competition to win it. Not to mention Standard Liege....WTF....

As for Luis Garcia, of course he's a flop. Hes supposed to just be a backup, but seriously I'd rather have kept Gabriel or Clayton. They do perform better, and really if I hear another stupid comment about "Liverpool" when talking about Garcia I'll scream.

Sariegui is an embarassment, how his contract was reknewed this summer. We bought Boumsong......Hes ONE player......we had a full back line thats a CATASTROPHE.

This was supposed to be a strong year. We are dealing with 4 major injuries at the moment, but still.....I expected the team to be more prepared. We do need Kante back, as well as Ninis, Leto and Govou.

I said it during summer transfer period and i will say it again.Pao biggest weakness is the center defenders.Midfield and Forward you got nice-good steady players,center defenders is a liability.

I just think its a shame that after all these years and with this teams long history they still can't get their act together. Basic stuff I'm talking about like good defenders and a reputable coach; someone that has proven himself and we can stay with for several years. Thats why I'm not really emotionally invested in this team anymore. I got tired of getting angry when things didn't go right when they should have. Its a waste of energy.

I just think its a shame that after all these years and with this teams long history they still can't get their act together. Basic stuff I'm talking about like good defenders and a reputable coach; someone that has proven himself and we can stay with for several years. Thats why I'm not really emotionally invested in this team anymore. I got tired of getting angry when things didn't go right when they should have. Its a waste of energy.

1 news paper today said that if Pao loses on the upcoming derby there has been talks about Hen Kate return or Pelegrini.

Archived