Phantis Forums

Ergotelis-Panathinaikos

pao123

we travel to crete on sunday in our last match before the break...i hope the players forget about kopenhagen and move on, otherwise i see another poor performance...if the team doesnt perform well within the next month, i see nioplias getting the axe...

it is evident so far that marinos is not ready to be a starter at pao...i hope vyntra moves to right and spyro left with boumsong and sarriegi in the middle....its time for gilberto and katsouranis to sit the bench..katsouranis because he doesnt not deserve a starting role bc he is lazy and gilberto bc he is obviously tired and not even close to his best...the man needs to rest, he is old...

for god sakes just sit katsourani...sit him until he shows he deserves to wear the jersey, apart from a DECENT game vs panionios, his performances have been abysmal...we signed plessis, let him see some time, im sure he will try much harder than katsourani has been...

i dont care if kara has old legs, he deserves to start, he is the only one who has seemed to care...

kante, yiourkas, petro and govou will definitly miss this match...

im going to miss this match, i dont know whether to consider it good or bad...

yes which probably means luis garcia will start in his place with hopefully karagouni coming into the midfield...we dont have that many attacking options left, lazaro will get included for that reason even though he just returned from injury...him being fit definitly give us some help though...if leto doesnt pick up the pace he can be another outlet on left...

i wouldnt mind seeing ninis on the bench if govou were available...he needs to wake up to and start living up to his potential, he needs to simply work harder

I dont like the fact that some newspapers are saying that Nioplias is playing his Pao coach future in this game.In greece we need to realize that teams have ups and downs and lets be honest,the players are the ones that either play well and win games or mess up and lose them.I was reading about Salke and how even tho a lot of money was spend and the team has not been performing well,NOBODY even thinks about firing the coach.In greece that is our first reaction....

Crazy, Nioplias has had time...Its not his first failure.

He did "win the double", but in all honestly there were plenty/too many lows. We could not get any results in big games last year.

Remember we didn't beat ONE team in the top 6 teams under Nioplias. All the derbies were busts...Cisse's top form basically won us the rest. We did beat Aris in the Cup final. It was overdue to actually beat a decent team.

This season has been a horrible start. Failing to beat Xanthi, scraping by Aris controversially, getting dominated by Kavala, absolutley harassed by Barcelona, and embarassed by Copenhagen at home....This is crap.

Nioplias isn't all he thought he was. Yes, if he to get his team together for Ergotelis, his fate will be sealed, and rightfully so.

Its not all Nioplias fault though. The signings this year were terrible, Boumsong/Govou aside. We're resorting to Luis Garcia (whose being praised by PAO fans who are enamoured with his name despite seriously not-notable performances), we have still no solid backline, and no backup CF. The team is not balanced out at all, and sorry any idiot should know after watching the European disgrace of a defense last year, we need more than just Boumsong back there.

Overall the season looked promising, but beleive we'll be fighting for a Europa place in the CL, and fighting to keep up with OSFP all season.

apparently the 11 is going to look like this

tzorvas, spyropoulos, vyntra, boumsong, sarriegi, gilberto, marinos, karagounis, leto, garcia and cisse

i think tzorvas should remain in the 11...if after acouple more games he continues to be poor, then pull him...

nioplias appears to switch to a 4-3-3 to try and work on our possession..in my opinion gilberto should be benched but we have the break and it will give him time to work on his conditioning...im not sure why marinos is in there, hopefully he surprises us bc his performances at preseason in the middle were very good but he has been poor so far all season...for me, as long as kats doesnt start its ok...

If we maintain our pressure as we have so far, we'll score soon. 2 great chances for us, one for Cisse and Gilberto. Looks hopeful.

We must have in stadium because I can hear the PAO chants. I thought we wouldn't get tickets for away matches.

Drakos now is not the time to sack Nioblias. He hasn't even been with the club for a full year. I didn't want to see HTC sacked and i was never in favour of Nioblias because he's so inexperienced, once a club takes a manager on they need to keep him. We need to break free of the typical, destructive Greek mentality when it comes to managers.

I wouldn't mind wins like this (4-1), but it's true the goal came because 2 of our guys didn't communicate! Same thing has been happening too often, like against Kopenhagen whereas our defense didn't coordinate well.

They should teach them some plain language to shout to each other. Geesh.

But, winning in Crete feels good.

The strange thing was that Nioplas announced his intent to resign publicly after the game. Wow! Later he was convinced by Pateras to stay on.

i downloaded and watched the game tonight some positives and some negatives..it was really great to see a big win and hopefully a return to good psychology...

the team looked alot more composed...everyone ran around alot more, went in for tackles, pressured harder and worked better as a team..i think a big difference was that we saw our midfielders getting in and around the box more...i was proven wrong about katsourani who was the MVP of this match...he played alot of really nice passes, ran around and kept his head up...

having spyropoulo on the left really helps us, ive said it before but our formation works alot better when our defensive backs get forward...it created more space for leto to take players one on one and gave us another outlet to play through as the team advanced forward...nice to see him score his first goal for us as well...he had no buisness being so far into the box but saw the space and got the opportunity and made a smart little 'strikers' run..and it was KATS who assisted his goal, not vyntra (which is what the announcers kept saying)

i also liked that our attacking players kept rotating...garcia, leto, cisse and katsouranis kept switching positions making our game less predictable...another big difference in our game came from cisse checking in as opposed to just looking to just 'break' the defense...it gave us possesion and allowed the team to build in attack...we need him mobile, pressuring and helping attack, not just score...he did and you could tell it was a big support for our midfield...another thing to note is that even though garcia didnt have a classically great game, he was a big help to the team...he helped the play in the first goal. for the second goal made a great checking run opening the space for cisse and chesting the ball to katsouranis who gave a great pass for the finish and controlled the ball beautfully, held up the play and played a neat little through ball to kats to deliver on the third goal...this kind of work goes unnoticed by most but it was his hard work that helped the goals, not his natural skill...

in saying all of this, the team still needs to possess the ball better, we looked a bit nervy on the ball and made too many easy errors giving away possession...i hope this little break helps us with our conditioning because it needs work...we need to work on staying focused the whole game, we gave the game away for about 15-20 minutes in the second half and a better team would have probably punished us more...in my opinion, despite the bad communication between boumsong and sarriegi, tzorvas should shoulder most of the blame for the goal...firstly his positioning was horrendous...he had pushed almost completely up to the six and he fumbled a shot that he could have done much much better with...if he was positioned correctly, he would have just caught the ball or been able to at least punch it away or over the bar...instead he was poorly positioned, caught off guard and left to just swat at the ball like an amateur keeper...

thanks for your review. I agree with your observations. do you think Tzorvas is out of form and should take a breather on the bench?

despite our horrible performances this season, I think the team will improve and probably win the title again; however, I don't think we're Champions League material yet.

no, he shouldnt be benched YET he just needs to get more focused...it also depends on what he looks like in training and what the other keepers look like (i dont see them so i dont really know)..i just think he needs to keep his head down, lose the bit of attitude he seems to have taken on and work harder..if he has acouple more bad games then bench him, its not a great idea to sit the starting keeper unless he consistantly does very badly...

i always thought fernandes looked solid for paok and iraklis and if tzorvas' performances dont improve i wouldnt mind giving fernandes a go...

Archived