Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos-Kopenhagen

pao123

if we dont win this one our chances of progressing to the next round are slim...we have had pretty good away form recently in europe but the home games are a must win in the CL.

kante is out for 20 days...he will miss the matches against kopenhagen, ergotelis, paok and rubin which is a bit of a blow...govou will miss this match and the match in crete as well...

seitaridis had to leave from training today again just as he was starting to get better...he started off the season well but it looks like he may have the same injury problems as last year..

spyropoulo is fit for this match but has missed some sessions and may not start..in my opinion, he needs to start...our left side is not as dangerous without him in there...vyntra and kante dont attack well from the left and leto is left isolated...in order for our formation to be completely effective, we need our wing backs supporting our wingers...

the injuries are hampering our side early on...i hope we show the true european pao and take this one but kopenhagen are a strong side and will not fold lightly...i dont have a great feeling about this...as our defense is in shambles...

They aren't a bad side. N'Doye is the man for them, we'll need to watch him because he'll have extra motivation. Cesar Santin and Jesper Gronkjaer are also players to look out for. We can certainly beat but i think they will score so we have to be serious. If we want to qualify this is a must-win

rumor is the starting 11 will be tzorva, vyntra, marinos, sarriegi, silva at the back, katsourani, simao and luis garcia as our midfield 3 and ninis, leto and cisse up top..

i think they will try to clog the midfield leaving gronkjaer in support of ndoye who will be alone up top...simao is a great option in there for us and im sure he will give them lots of trouble...i hope to see katsourani build on his last showing even more..

chances are they will try to play avery aerial game up front and i hope gilberto and sarriegi will be up to the task...though boumsong is in bad form, i think he would be useful here as that is his strong suit...im dissapointed to not see spyropoulos in there...our formation is much more effective when our wingers have proper support and overlapping runs

i have a bad feeling about this match even though i dont believe their defense will be able to contain us...

i hope our players show their good side, we must remain focused for the whole 90 minutes...

This is a huge game for FCK......they are a solid team this year, so I think this one will be quite tough, they may even take apoint.

If were at our best, I'd expect a simple 2-0....

If we play half assed, 1-1....

Definitley we should start like we did with Panionios. Ninis+Cisse is our key to breaking them down, an early goal and we could ruin their hopes.

Tzorvas gave the game away for Pao tonight and somebody needs to tell him to shut the hell up.Not only he messed it up,he was yelling at the Pao defenders for no reason whatsoever.....pitty...

Horrible display, helped by disastrous coaching by Mr Nikos

Sorry but this team is hopeless. We cannot have any serious chance with current defenders and central midfielders.

Preseason training also seems like a joke as they are slower than slo-mo

IMO we had a great opportunity to become a European force under Ten Cate. Fantastic fitness, no injuries control over primaddona players, sound tactics and very decent results for the first time in years.

Why our management chose to replace a serious European coach with the village idiot from Kozani, thus condemning us to third-rate status is a mystery to me..

Cheers

This was an abysmal showing and we were exposed for all our weaknesses today. Like I said for the Barca game, we are a one man team, and it showed today. Every time we got the ball we looked totally unimaginative. We were just launching the ball forward aimlessly and hoping Cisse would latch on to it. We did this against Kavala and when I criticised the tactic a couple here criticised me saying Ninis played a superb ball. Well today my criticisms were proved.

Leto in particular picked up the ball and from 30-40 yards out he was trying to play a diagonal cross. Run with the ball to the touchline first you lazy prick and stop ###### diving! :angry: We are such an easy team to deal with because we always emply this tactic: deep crosses towards Cisse. That might work against the likes of Ergotelis and Panionios but against decent European opposition we'll get dealt with time and again. All a team has to do is 3 things to beat us: 1) have a runner faster than Cisse that can track his runs, always remaining goal side of him. Antonsson had him in his back pocket tonight because he simply tracked Cisse’s run and prevented him from latching on to any of those long balls. 2) when in possession, move it quickly and don’t lose the ball early. They did that with ease in midfield). 3) Keep the pitch stretched by ensuring that the distance between the defence and the front man is large. PAO are only dangerous when compact because we don’t have any box-to-box athletes in midfield, and the defence is also protected when compact.

Today Copenhagen did all that and we were exposed for just how bad that we are!

Tzorva was also exposed today. We had no defence, no midfield and yes Cisse was isolated so i felt for him but we also saw why he can't cut it against top opposition and in the top competitions. Every time he got the ball he shot. He didn't hold it up or try and feed others in, he'd shoot. Who cares if he only has 3% chance of scoring, shoot anyway right? Don't even get me started on Nioblias, his decision making and tactics were terrible

Tzorvas should sit on the bench for a while.

PAO's mistakes are plentiful (in CL and domestic) and I think there's a problem of concentration. Even an experienced player like Gilberto does something unbelievable! He didn't have to do this because he didn't avert a danger, just a stupid move.

I sense that the players don't know each other or don't have confidence in each other to play as a team. Maybe that's why Gilberto fouled and got his first yellow, because he didn't have the confidence another player behind him would have stoped the K player.

Tzorvas..... amaturish mistakes. First goal, he comes out, way to far, way too eary, and didn't allow his defenseman to check the K player.

As for Cisse who always tried to shoot the ball when he got it even if he was too far away to be effective. Listen, if you don't get service, if you don't penatrate into the box as a team, there aren't many choices available. Long shots is what's left.

This PAO team can't pretend to be competitive in Europe. They should concentrate on the domestic league, and even that is going to be hard. I just hope we don't see a repeat after 2004 when we won the double and for years... nothing.

Athinaios on numerous occasions Cisse could have held up the ball and waited for support, instead he shot. It's not that he didn't have options, it's that he was selfish. In Greece we're a one man team, but the reality is that one man isn't that good in Europe's top competition. He can't win games on his own. The whole team has to be 200% better and that includes Cisse based on today's performance. The only player that played well was Karagounis.

the only player today that didnt embarrass himself or the shirt he wore was karagounis...everyone else was god awful...nioplas' changes were horrendous as well...the team has alot of talent but will get nowhere if we dont play as a team...individually kopenhagen are not better than us, but they have rhythym and work together as a unit and they killed us...it was an embarrasing performance..absolutely unacceptable...

they better wake up and get their heads out of their ASSES before it is too late...nioplias included....NTROPI NTROPI NTROPI....they should all be ashamed of themselves...

in saying this, i am PISSED as hell at nioplias and his absolutely ABYSMAL changes but i dont think its quite time to get rid of him...lets not fall into the same old trap of hiring and firing coaches just because the results have been bad, i think it will just do us no good and put us further into a hole...i will still wait until the end of october to judge what is what and whether nioplias should keep his job or not...he is not the only one to blame, the players gave no effort whatsoever...coaches and players alike NEED TO WAKE UP AND REALIZE THIS IS A BIG CLUB AND START ACTING ACCORDINGLY...

the only ONLY ONLY positive note is that we have proven once again to be one of the BEST fans in the world....screaming and cheering until the end...BRAVO to the fans, the players and coach on the other hand should take a good look at what they are doing and realizing they are embarrasing the name..the just simply gave up...no passion, no fight for the trifilli or the fans....

today is a sad day for pao but luckily, tomorrow is another day...we must try and look forward, correct our mistakes and get on with the season...we cant afford to continue a psychological downfall so early so we need to turn it around NOW..im going to try to forget this result and look to the match with ergotelis, as hard as this task may be...i am so furious its unbelieveable...

:tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

first time in my life that i turned off the game before it was completely finished...first time ever :tdown: :tdown:

@pao123

Fans were indeed GREAT! - This is the kind of support that can prevent a team from breaking down in times like this

But Karagounis - sorry but he was again embarassing. Everytime he comes in the field I feel like I am travelling back in time 20 years or so - my opinion is the soonest our management realize he has no place in the team any more, the better

This doesn't surprise me. Like what some people pointed out in here, the problem is not individual players - we have good talent - but the team are not functioning like a unit. There doesn't seem to be a battle plan or tactic in place. So you have several guys who are trying to do something but then the ball reaches a player that seems to be coming from a different idea. It clearly isn't working and it doesn't look to me like Nioblias knows what to do.

I hated 10C and when Nioblias took over the team played more relaxed and fluid. But now there just aren't any real tactics apparently. I wouldn't be surprised if they sack him real soon, so get ready.

I've been a fan for a while and I really didn't get hyped up for this match because after all this time I've learned not to. Our team w/ its history should not be losing games like these in Europe. Greek football is a corrupt 3 ring circus (like many other businesses in Greece). If you have a group of selfish guys who can't agree on anything then how can you expect any results and how can you take this seriously? Our history has been building the team up to a point where we're almost there, very close to doing something special - then everything breaks down. Build it up, break it down. Up and down, up and down, year after year. Does anyone get tired of this s hit?

I hear Pateras is an actual football fan...maybe things will improve? Who knows stranger things have happened in this world.

@pao123

Fans were indeed GREAT! - This is the kind of support that can prevent a team from breaking down in times like this

But Karagounis - sorry but he was again embarassing. Everytime he comes in the field I feel like I am travelling back in time 20 years or so - my opinion is the soonest our management realize he has no place in the team any more, the better

FZ13 i have to strongly disagree with everything you've said in this post. Firstly, it's usually wonderful to see the support our fans provide. I have said this many times, Greek "opadoi" create the best atmosphere in the world. Even yesterday the Sky Sports commentators spent the whole game criticising Greek football, but they still found time to say "I'm trying to think where else in the world you would see the fans support the team like this when they're losing and playing like this". However, unwavering support like we saw against Copenhagen, while admirable, can be also be problematic in my opinion. Yesterday the the players showed no passion whatsoever, particularly in the 2nd half. By simply supporting the team blindly the players carried on in their lazy, dispassionate approach. The players needed a "kraksimo" not a dream like amtosphere as if they were winning 3-0. Don't misunderstand what i am saying, i'm not saying apodokimasies should start whenever we're losing, but on some rare occasions the lack of effort can be so insulting that the players deserve a boot in the backside!

I guess pao123 and I were watching a different game from you file because Karagounis was class yesterday. He is still our best attacking midfielder. He might not be able to play effectively for 90 mins every week but Ninis is nowhere near as good as him and we saw it yet again yesterday. The funny thing is though that Karagounis was all over the pitch yesterday while Leto spent most of his time on the floor and Ninis was barely involved.

Clover I disagree, personally I believe that we don't have much talent. Actually, let me rephrase that, we have natural talent, but the "current ability" of our individuals isn't good enough. Maradona has more natural talent than anyone, but he wouldn't be a more effective player today than the worst player in the Panserraikos team. So don't judge a player's talent, but his current ability. Katsouranis' natural talent is a million miles of his current ability for instance and that has nothing to do with the functioning of the team. The poor functioning of the team isn't causing the players to be crap, it's the players' crapness that's causing the poor functioning of the team. For instance, based on current ability, who do we have that could play effectively/successfully in the top half of the premier league for instance? The answer... Possibly NOBODY! Even Cisse who is by far and away our star player did nothing of note at a lower-mid-table club (Sunderland). That is unacceptable for a club like PAO. We must always aim to be a last 16 team in the CL and to achieve that we need a goalkeeper (and i've always said this, not just because he was ridiculously bad yesterday), 2 centre-backs, a right back, a box to box midfielder, and a striker. On top of that we should transfer list Seitaridis and Katsouranis immediately. Get them out of the team now! They are a huge negative influence on the team with their poor attitudes

Archived