overall great tourney by the boys

a full, healthy squad would have been nice

I look forward to watching these kids in the future

bravo :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

It's a shame we lost in the final, however we can be very proud of their

performances in the tournament. Things could have been different had Ninis

and Mitroglou made the most of their first half chances, they had a late claim

for a penalty but in the end it was not enough. When the tournament began

Greece were ranked outsiders however just like the national team at Euro 2004 that did not bother them an inch, This team has got fantastic talent and the future looks bright for Greece.

It does, these players will find their way in Europe and beyond, we can be proud of their achievement!

Congratulations to them for bringing us this far, one place better next time I hope ! :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Nothing but good praise and KUDOS to the kids. This was an AMAZING accomlishment...

BRAVO PEDIA

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

These guys should come back to Greece as heroes and there should be TONS of support...

Edited by evalagoal

Yesterday, I was a bit disappointed with the final score. Spain got very lucky and came away with the title. I have to be very happy for Greece, these young boys made this a wonderful tournament. They showed us what Greek football is all about, there run to the championship finals was an unexpected journey. Thank you for everything you offered to us Greek fans. It was a great effort and we hope to see you guys in the U-21, soon. :gr: :gr: :gr:

it did matter because it cost papastathopoulos a place in the final

Papastathopoulos' absence didnt cost us the game mate. They barely threatened us and their goal was an individual error by the GK. So whether we had Papa or not didnt make a difference. Imo, the difference between victory & defeat came due to 4 reasons:

1) Too often the defence/defensive midfield looked for the long ball. Everytime we got the ball down we were able cause problems, otherwise we lost the ball too easily.

2) Our big players, Ninis and Mitroglou didnt perform.

3) We werent bold enough. The defensive line wasnt high enough, we should have REALLY gone for them.

4) And of course the individual mistake of the gk which tactics cannot cater for.

If you really want to dwelve deeply into footballing strategic analysis you could argue that actually you're correct because had Papastathopoulo played then maybe we'd have been more composed at the back, hence the defence would have had the confidence to bring the ball forward and play it to the midfield instead of playing a long ball. Also, his presence may have meant that the defence would have had the confidence to play a high defensive line. Hence his mere presence may have eradicated 2 of the 4 reasons that we didnt win. HOWEVER, the reason I dont place that much emphasis on his absense is because these problems may have been eradicated even without Papa playing. Nioblias failed somewhat therefore yesterday imo.

On the bright side, he proved he'll be a great manager for years to come and possibly one for our NT. As for the players:

NINIS: we all know about and I think this tournament should that he should be moulded into a dekari instead of a right winger. My only worry is that he hasnt really turned up at the big games. I know he's young, but against Olympiakos, Lens, and the 2 games against Spain (i.e. the big games) he went missing. I hope thats not a sign that he cant handle pressure. These next couple of years of development will determine whether he becomes a good Greek player, or World class!! He has to work hard.

PAPASTATHOPOULOS: I said months ago that he should be given a chance on our NT but Aekrossoponti argued against it for the time being... having seen him more I've probably shifted to Aekrossoponti's view abit more. I believe he should be in our NT squad and slowly blooded in but he isnt quite ready yet. BUT, BIG FUTURE!! Can go all the way to the top!

MITROGLOU: Def has talent but misses too many chances. I think he can have a great career in Greece.

SIAKAS: Was a rock at the back for us yesterday, reminds me of a young Anztas.

PAPADOPOULOS: Very impressed with him. Clever, confident and has huge potential.

PLIATSIKAS: A bit naive (as was seen in his sending off against Germany) but very committed and has good potential.

The talent is there guys, we just have to hone it now.

Yesterday, I was a bit disappointed with the final score. Spain got very lucky and came away with the title. I have to be very happy for Greece, these young boys made this a wonderful tournament. They showed us what Greek football is all about, there run to the championship finals was an unexpected journey. Thank you for everything you offered to us Greek fans. It was a great effort and we hope to see you guys in the U-21, soon. :gr: :gr: :gr:

Nothing to add to dark_horses post!

Nevertheless, losing a final in such a weird way hurts a lot. We received one of the most silly goals I've ever whitnessed.

The spanish side has been rather poor, but we have not been good enough to beat them.

However, FORZA HELLAS!

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Filoi,

This is the first time I've watched this team play so my opinion is totally based upon this particular game so, I could be off base but IMHO a) they lacked creativity up front, B) effective set pieces were completely absent, c) it didn't seem that the team was coached well enough to be able to overcome adversity, d) they argued among them, e) movement finesse is obviously there but was spotty, f) I didn't see anyone of our players capable playing havoc with their defense (with dribbles and quick one twos). Yes, the goal was SILLY, but they should have played for 90 minutes the way they played at the beginning of the second half. They controlled the ball wonderfully and looked like a real class team for about 10 mins but after that they went absent again. Was it lack of fitness? Mental lapses of concentration? Missing key players? Nerves? All of the above? Who knows, but the fact remains that they didn't have what it took to be crowned Euro champs yesterday.

On more thing that was ugly, what was the deal with our player flagrantly scratching the ear of the Spaniard? Total lack of class/sportsmanship if you ask me. This team needs work both physically and mentally. No doubt the physical quality is there but raw talent won't cut it in international competitions. It bothered me we lost but the above bothers me more. Lets hope that maturity will correct most of the above.....

Edited by gcp