Phantis Forums

U-19 NT (Neon)

Ziaka

The boys were beyond expectations. They fought like lions (if only the senior team would learn) and kept pressing forward, but it was not to be. I was impressed with the sang froid of the players taking long shots, which also our senior team lacks.

All this shapes up for hopefully good times for the future of our NT.

On the negative, the goal was really worthless and Mitroglou needs to finish. The second sub (blond hair?) did nothing with the chances that he got even though they apparently played to his stregnth, the high ball.

Bravo to the young Greeks of U-19. Their making the final, along with the u-19 team making the quarterfinal in 2005, shows that Greek soccer has a solid future.

Greece lost to Spain, the same team in the u-19 final, in the U-21 final in 1998, with the same score and the same kind of goal and Greece would win Euro 2004 with most of those same players. Omen, perhaps?

Best players of U-19 according to uefa.com

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/und...id=564734.html

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Always nice to achieve victory over our Orthodox brothers.  :tup:

Was this victory in Serbia or Greece?

now...don't get me started on this subject. i bet the locals baked lots of koulouria for the serb players. serbia seems to be in much turmoil now, the other day a black footballer was beaten by 4 hooligans after a match.
What does that have to do with anything??

have u been to serbia?? because i have and i didnt feel a very warm reception...i dont know where u get the "brothers in arms" from because that is far from the truth...sure, some of the serbian population have a very strong relationship with the greeks, but if u look at the population as a whole youll see a different result...

i went there a couple years back to do some service work and was surprised about how different the country was then in all the book and sources i read before i got there...we do share some very strong political and RELIGIOUS ties with them but its very difficult when looking at the government to get an idea of the population and how they feel..serbia has been suffering for many years...

i do agree with you though, i dont think greeks would have a big problem playing there...

Yes I have been to Serbia, and I actually found them to be a lot more polite than the Athenians (not that that's hard). Whether or not they gave you or me or Mr. T a warm reception is irrelevant. This is not a political discussion but one regarding the possibility of playing in Serbia, and the fact is no Greek national team would have a problem playing in Serbia. It is ridiculous to suggest that.

have u been to serbia?? because i have and i didnt feel a very warm reception...i dont know where u get the "brothers in arms" from because that is far from the truth...sure, some of the serbian population have a very strong relationship with the greeks, but if u look at the population as a whole youll see a different result...

i went there a couple years back to do some service work and was surprised about how different the country was then in all the book and sources i read before i got there...we do share some very strong political and RELIGIOUS ties with them but its very difficult when looking at the government to get an idea of the population and how they feel..serbia has been suffering for many years...

i do agree with you though, i dont think greeks would have a big problem playing there...

Yes I have been to Serbia, and I actually found them to be a lot more polite than the Athenians (not that that's hard). Whether or not they gave you or me or Mr. T a warm reception is irrelevant. This is not a political discussion but one regarding the possibility of playing in Serbia, and the fact is no Greek national team would have a problem playing in Serbia. It is ridiculous to suggest that.
- ummm, recently during a demonstration a serb was killed in a fire. what if the greek contigent was 2-3 blocks away in a hotel? what about the stoning of the greek embassy a few years ago in belgrade?

i would never put greeks in harm's way to perpetuate a myth.

remember - arabs are our friends, correct? us greeks support the plo and palestinians...we even named a street in athens after yassir arafat.

explain that to the families of some 28 greeks massacred by machine gun fire in egpyt in the late 1990's. ahhhh...the wise man in the back of the kafeneio would reply that it was the israelis, disguised as arabs. ahhhhh..yes, let's go play a friendly in the gaza strip now.

it's hard at times...at other times, many greeks deserve the drudgery of village life because the modern world just flies over their heads.

to say, 'trust me, i know the serbs are our brothers' is ridiculous when weighing the safety of any greek.

That is a ridiculous analogy! The guy that died was a protestor that got caught up in a fire he played a part in starting himself. It was aimed at the US embassy for recognising Kosovo. Greece has not recognised Kosovo and has no beef with the Serbs, politically, socially or otherwise.

We played in Turkey and Kazakhstan but we can't play in Serbia for safety reasons? That's ridiculous!

As for the Egypt/Palestinian/Isreali issue... where on earth did that come from? We're talking about the possibility of playing a match in Serbia here. It's actually crazy to be suggesting that we couldn't do that. We rarely agree on football matters, and we sometimes disagree on politics, but I always respect your opinions. You articulate them very well and always apply a lucid logic. But the claim that Greece cannot play in Serbia for safety reasons bears no logic whatsoever and I can only put it down to your extreme dislike/hatred of the Serbs.

the fact is that serbia, today, is a dangerous place...you can phrase it however ud like but it is dangerous...ive been to johannesburg(soweto), bogota, harare which are some of the most dangerous cities in the world and serbia was almost as intimidating...safety is a big issue and many serbians live in fear for their lives daily...now ask yourself, would you feel more comfortable having 19-17y/o kids playing in greece or serbia..for a friendly nonetheless..i would say greece without a doubt...i saw some really powerful stuff in serbia that i will never forget, it is nice to live in a country and not fear for yourself or your family...im not saying they couldnt safetly play in serbia, but as a precautionary measure, why not play in greece...the bottom line is serbia is a dangerous place...

their women are gorgeous though :D :D

remember - arabs are our friends, correct? us greeks support the plo and palestinians...we even named a street in athens after yassir arafat.

explain that to the families of some 28 greeks massacred by machine gun fire in egpyt in the late 1990's. ahhhh...the wise man in the back of the kafeneio would reply that it was the israelis, disguised as arabs. ahhhhh..yes, let's go play a friendly in the gaza strip now.

i remember that incident, although no apology was given they did say that the gunman mistook the greeks for israelis. i'm in no way justifying the incident though. as for playing in serbia don't believe the media hype thats made the serbs look like monsters, there is no way a greek team playing there would have any problems. quite how you can compare that with playing in gaza is amazing Edited by js1000

• 2 months later...

the draw for the games at the u-19 finals will take place in prague this sunday. the matches will take place between 14 july and 26 july.

these nations will take part in the draw:

greece

spain

bulgaria

czech republic

hungary

germany

and either:

italy or france

england or serbia

good luck on a good draw. i have faith in the players...i'm not a fan of a. alexiou.

Just out of curiosity, why are you not a fan of Alexiou? I haven't seen the U'19 team play so I can't really judge his tactics.

In the other topics we were talking alot about respect from other nations. If we want respect, we really have to get out of this group. England are not in the euro and so i assume english media will be covering this tournament close enough because they have nothing else to cover. If greece beat england and italy, we can get ALOT of respect espcially if we have a solid euro.

On another note--- thats a tough draw. But we have a really good u19 team. Will papathathopoulos be there?

• 2 weeks later...

An article from the FA on Greece:

http://www.thefa.com/England/U19s/NewsAndF...euro_greece.htm

I must say that I will at least watch this game. We have some goods young lads who have been playing at Simon Clifford's Brazilian Soccer Schools so they have some potential.

Come on England!

:P Should be fun... the banter with all my friends will be great, but if we lose I'd probably have to emigrate to Fiji to get away from the stick! :P

An article from the FA on Greece:

http://www.thefa.com/England/U19s/NewsAndF...euro_greece.htm

I must say that I will at least watch this game. We have some goods young lads who have been playing at Simon Clifford's Brazilian Soccer Schools so they have some potential.

Come on England!

:P Should be fun... the banter with all my friends will be great, but if we lose I'd probably have to emigrate to Fiji to get away from the stick! :P
Yeah, well, I don't know much about the Greek players but the England team looks good.

Sears has already scored a couple of goals for West Ham while Tomkins has started a couple of games for the hammers.

Scott Sinclair has played a few games for Chelsea but will surely be sold this summer to one of the new comers.

Daniel Welbeck is a player that Ferguson rates a lot. He played a friendly game in Dubaï with Man U.

Joe Matlock has already played at U21 level and with Leicester going down, he will leave for a better club.

Daniel Sturridge and Andy Carroll have already played a number of games for Man City and Newcastle.

Moses from Palace and Gibbs from Arsenal are both rumoured to be excellent players.

So, mate, your team is in trouble! ;)

Yeah, well, I don't know much about the Greek players but the England team looks good.

Sears has already scored a couple of goals for West Ham while Tomkins has started a couple of games for the hammers.

Scott Sinclair has played a few games for Chelsea but will surely be sold this summer to one of the new comers.

Daniel Welbeck is a player that Ferguson rates a lot. He played a friendly game in Dubaï with Man U.

Joe Matlock has already played at U21 level and with Leicester going down, he will leave for a better club.

Daniel Sturridge and Andy Carroll have already played a number of games for Man City and Newcastle.

Moses from Palace and Gibbs from Arsenal are both rumoured to be excellent players.

So, mate, your team is in trouble! ;)

Sounds like a great young squad, but I wouldn't be too confident just yet! ;)

Greece made the final of the u-19 European Championships last year, losing 1-0 to Spain in the final despite a dominant performance.

Liverpool's Dean Bouzanis is in goal, the man Rafa Benitez rates as the best goalkeeper in the world younger than the age of 20.

Kyriakos Papadopoulos is 16 year old centre-back who was offered a first team contract with Espanyol when he was only 15!! He wouldn't have been playing, but the fact that he would have been in this squad highlights the kid's talent. Instead, Olympiakos secured a deal with his dad and he's considered to be a fantastic prospect. He played for Olympiakos in December 2007 and became the youngest ever player to play in the Greek league.

Sotirios Ninis is widely regarded to be the best player in the tournament. The attacking midfielder is a key fixture in the Panathinaikos team and has attracted strong interest from Roma, Juve & Real Madrid. He also scored on his senior team debut, but Otto controversially omitted him from the Euro 2008 squad so he will feature.

Giannis Papadoupoulos is a combative midfielder that has recently been signed by Olympiakos from Iraklis. He was one of the stars of the tournament last year.

Lefteris Matsoukas is an Olympiakos forward who scored 2 goals in 3 games in qualifiers and has a bright future.

Michalis Pavlis plays for AEK and gained prominence in his very impressive debut against Sevilla this season in the CL qualifiers. A very neat and lively little forward.

It's a shame there's no more Mitroglou or Papastathopoulos, but this squad is still strong enough to win it. Looking forward to the game mate, that's for sure. ;)