Phantis Forums

Panagiotis Kone ‒ (retired)

js1000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

is kone actually greek? I never got a good reason for his last name. it doesn't sound greek or albanian for that matter. his face doesn't look super greek either

i know wiki says he had grandparents and there are some albanians i know who have greek ancestry for sure but his last name is just odd lol

he was our best player in the colombia match an the colombians rated him highly after that.

great bicycle kick, outside box shot, and short passes.

people thought his potential would be higher and would replace karagouni

I think that's going to be done by mantalos now

(fortouni is our best attacking mid but mantalos has more similar character to karagounis. fortounis imo a new type of greek attacking footballer that we haven't seen before to my knowledge. fortouni is the product of a more sophisticated training regume which greek facilities in the past have lacked. getting tutored by dominguez helps too.)

• 2 months later...
On 12/20/2016 at 6:28 AM, ThrylosG7 said:

Ive said it so many times that my tongue has grown hairs...players always end up playing the level that they deserve.

What I immediately thought when I read Nikitas' post

If it isn't for him to play in a top flight league, I love to see him on my hometown team. Drogba just left the team, but they are a relatively competitive side, losing to Toronto FC in extra time semi-finals about a month ago. 

Successfull Captain at Bologna, team got relegated and had a very good season at Udinese. Then probably lost interest. That doesn't make him a bad player who deserves Serie B.

Also the fact that these teams are "interested in Kone" doesn't link him with them. If no other offer comes then he ll have to choose. If Bari has hopes of promotion, I would definately go there.

Kone is a good player. I don't know what is happening lately with him whether he is injured or if he has lost interest. The bottom line is Kone is a passionate player and when he wants he can destroy anyone. His best season was the 2013/14 season where he captained Bologna, scoring and assisting goals and showing by example. Lazaros was in the team aswell, also this was the season just before the World Cup where Kone played very well. He looks like a Greek if you ask me. There a lot of Albanians who have naturalised as Greeks and who have become more Greek than a Greek. I assume those Albanians are Orthodox like Kapino and Kone. 

I'd like to see him back in the National Team as either a bench option or starter. But we have Fortounis and Mantalos and he is not as effective on the wing as he is as an attacking midfielder or a free roaming player. I don't know if he still at the same level that he was in the World Cup. 

• Like it 1

18 minutes ago, Nikod said:

this guy is good enough to play in Serie A no doubt. But between his temper and poor judgement in picking clubs his career has stalled. How old is he now? 

He is 28. He still has time to prove how good he is. 

16 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

I was wondering about Kapino. Cause I always thought he was just greek but the last name puzzled me.

Yeah it should be Kapinos but it is not. He was born in Greece.

This video was 6 months ago where there were talks about him moving to Panathiniakos. If you listen carefully he talks about how he wants to earn his spot at Udinese. He to me is a hardworking player. I could tell by his character he is not the type to give up and go back to Greece. He want to earn his spot back in a league where its very competitive and a league ranked few spots behind La Liga and Bundesliga. The theory of him having no interest anymore is out the window. 

• Like it 1

He's too good for Montreal Impact?? Mmm.. I would have to see it to believe it. I doubt he would do better then Ignacio "Nacho" Piatti has, or even Laurent Ciman.. Montreal has brought in some good players in their 5 years in MLS. Not many teams can say they had Drogba, Nesta and Di Vaio on their team. 

That being said I would be very excited to see him play in my hometown

8 hours ago, tantra129 said:

Piatti has provided some offence, but what has ciman really done?

its ugly soccer. Horrible actually. 

Piatti scored 17 goals and could have easily been the MLS MVP last year.. Ciman was the defender of the year last year, and is a Belgium international, not saying hes world class but hes one of the best defenders in MLS no doubt

Would Kone step in to MLS and be one of the best players in the league you think?

You keep mentioning the turf lol Saputo Stadium's surface is grass by the way, if they do play on turf it's for 2-3 games due to weather conditions, so that's a no factor

Just to clear the air about Ciman, he decided to come to Montreal to get the proper care for his daughter who is autistic. He could easily play in any league in Europe in a mid table team, like I said he's not world class, but can stand his ground.

Drogba really showed at the end of this past year that he's done, as far as I'm concerned well done on the manager who decided to put him on the bench. 

Kone hasn't shown much in a while, his could be an opportunity to get his career back on track

mls is getting pretty decent. former pao player ivanchsitz played for the champions and looked pretty good. also was a good player for pao and austria NT.

It's slowly starting to pick up steam and at least in toronto, attendance is very good and the stadiums are state of the art from what I saw (not that im a pro at sussing that out)

• Like it 1

• Argy changed the title to Panagiotis Kone ‒ Western Melbourne FC
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Panagiotis Kone ‒ (retired)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic
  • Argy unlocked this topic