Phantis Forums

Dundee Utd. - AEK

Irlandos

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet another Scottish team in our European path!

This time we face Dundee Utd (red shirts not blue!) with the first match in Scotland.

Good luck AEK!!!  :)

We wear tangerine shirts, not red!

Hope it's a good game lads, you will be favourites, but write us off at your peril! :D

A little bit of digging got me this:

Posted Image

It seems Craig Brewster of Ionikos fame was a Dundee Utd player and coach. At one time AEK were interested in signing him.

Brewster scored the wining goal for us in the 1994 Scottish Cup final against Rangers:-

He scored 20 goals that season and was a great player for us.

He was appointed our manager in January 2006 after a succesful spell with a smaller club - Inverness Caladonian Thistle. It didn't work out for him though, he was sacked in October 2006 after a terrible run of results.

He is still a Dundee United legend though and I know he loved his time in Greece when he played for Ionikos. He spoke very fondly of the place when he came back to Scotland.

I have to say, I really like Dundee Utd. In terms of talent AEK are a class above but they are a combative side and won't lie down. AEK will have to be serious and not approach the game at walking pace like they did against Everton away last year.

What worries me is that they are good away from home. They only lost twice away last season (as well as 8 wins and 7 draws) so a result away from home is imperative. Another thing to note is that they are the Scottish Cup holders so do have experience and confidence in knock out competitions. AEK need to be serious

and win the first game in Scotland.

They also have a couple of players I like. Bauben is a good central midfielder with good physical attributes. Gomis is also ok and has represented Senegal. Kenneth is a good centre-back, he's towering at 6"4. Daly is another to look out for, he's their captain and top scorer. Of all of them i personally like Bauben the most. They generally quite a big physical team so it would do AEK good to get the ball on the floor and play.

Guest tangerinearmy

Tangerine, not red and also, Dundee UNITED, not just Dundee.

Anyway, really looking forward to the game and I also have a question - How many home fans will there be at your home game (the second tie)?

I don't expect the boys to get stage fright but I'm curious...

The worst thing that your team (or to some extent the supporters) could do is to underestimate Dundee United. Just because you beat Rangers doesn't mean our boys are already beaten - we beat Celtic as well as Rangers last season. The difference between us and the Old Firm is consistency IN THE LEAGUE. This is different and on our night we can beat almost anyone.

Tangerine, not red and also, Dundee UNITED, not just Dundee.

Anyway, really looking forward to the game and I also have a question - How many home fans will there be at your home game (the second tie)?

I don't expect the boys to get stage fright but I'm curious...

The worst thing that your team (or to some extent the supporters) could do is to underestimate Dundee United. Just because you beat Rangers doesn't mean our boys are already beaten - we beat Celtic as well as Rangers last season. The difference between us and the Old Firm is consistency IN THE LEAGUE. This is different and on our night we can beat almost anyone.

Hi mate, welcome to the boards.

AEK have had a number of problems over the last year or so with the board. I also know of fans complaining of ticket prices and stuff and now Greece is in such economic woe i'd bet this also affects the attendances. I'm guessing around 30k will be there but the stadium fits 60+ and has a running track around it too (AEK are playing in the Olympic Stadium until their stadium is built) so i doubt Dundee Utd will get stage fright. Those that will be there won't stop chanting but the dynamics of the ground and limited amount of people won't make the pressure unbearable. Here are some videos that show what it's likely to be like so you can get a clearer picture:

As for underestimating Dundee Utd, if you notice my earlier post you'll see that I rate your team. I've seen quite a bit of Dundee Utd and I know you can be dangerous so it could be an interesting tie. :)

Dont care should be a no brainer weve owned scottish teams in the past hibs hearts rangers i dont see how the mandarinia wii go thru, nothing against the scottish league besides the top 2 celtic , gers it has always been 2 horse race for years......................................infinity plus 1

Both league are close in coefficent points.

Ive heard over and over how they wanted to pull celtic and rangers and re locate them to the english premiership for the lack of a title race

Dont care should be a no brainer weve owned scottish teams in the past hibs hearts rangers i dont see how the mandarinia wii go thru, nothing against the scottish league besides the top 2 celtic , gers it has always been 2 horse race for years......................................infinity plus 1

Ive heard over and over how they wanted to pull celtic and rangers and re locate them to the english premiership for the lack of a title race

And the Greek league isn't a two horse race? :LOL:

Very true minus the corruption tampering and ref with one sided views something that the scottish league dosent have and il all fareness celtic rangers always finish with what 20 plus points over 3rd.

In the greek league it stays competitive till its too close for comfort then well lets not get into it.

Ihave nothing against the scottish league ive seen manny fine matches with hearts,aberdeen,ext........................

A very serious aek should not have any problems with dundee

to be fair mate the greek league is a lot more competitive. PAOK just drew 4-4 on agg. with Ajax going out on away goals, while AEK SHOULD have won the league 3-4 years ago but lost it because Olympiakos were awarded a win in a game they actually lost in which their opponents fielded an ineligible player. Could you imagine teams like Aberdeen showing any sort of real threat, or going on a run in Europe?

to be fair mate the greek league is a lot more competitive. PAOK just drew 4-4 on agg. with Ajax going out on away goals, while AEK SHOULD have won the league 3-4 years ago but lost it because Olympiakos were awarded a win in a game they actually lost in which their opponents fielded an ineligible player. Could you imagine teams like Aberdeen showing any sort of real threat, or going on a run in Europe?
Well Aberdeen had a good run in the Europa League 2 seasons ago and were very unlucky not to qualify from the group stage.

Well Aberdeen had a good run in the Europa League 2 seasons ago and were very unlucky not to qualify from the group stage.
That's good, but 2-3 years ago the Greek league was the only league to have 5 teams in the group stages of the Europa League. Larisa (who only made it there courtesy of a cup final appearance) survived relegation by 1 point in the Greek league but made it to the groups by knocking out Blackburn, Panionios did it by beating Sochaux, Aris got there too as did PAO and AEK. Also, in the last 3 years of the Champions League there has been a Greek representative the last 16. Olympiakos who managed it last season actually went on to finish 5th in the league after the play-offs. It's highly unlikely that either Rangers or Celtic would ever finish 5th in Scotland.

I'm not disrespecting the Scottish league. I really respect the passion and work ethic that every SPL team takes on to the pitch each and every weak. However in reality the Greek league is more competitive and AEK Athens would be very disappointed to go out to Dundee Utd. It's not impossible of course. AEK is in disarray at the moment! Problems within the board, the fans don't want the manager (he was physically attacked yesterday!), some of the players seem to want to leave and AEK still doesn't have a stadium of its own. So there are big problems within the camp and on their day, Dundee Utd can certainly cause teams problems. However you can't blame Aekmafia21 for suggesting that he demands/expects his team qualify from this

Papa Bouba Diop was left out of the squad to face Dundee Utd! :o Apparently he was very unfit having not played football for 2 months. I have to say, with all that's going on I have a feeling Dundee Utd might upset AEK here. I really hope i'm wrong but they are united and up for it, AEK is a shambles off the pitch at the moment

Archived