Phantis Forums

Serbia-Greece

pao123

this is the first match with santos in charge of the team...here are his picks

Goalkeepers: Michael Sifakis (Aris Salonica), Alexandros Tzorvas (Panathinaikos)

Defenders: Sotiris Kyrgiakos (Liverpool/ENG), Stelios Malezas (PAOK Salonica), Giannis Maniatis (Panionios), Nikos Spyropoulos, Lukas Vyntra (both Panathinaikos), Avraam Papadopoulos, Vasilis Torosidis (both Olympiakos), Socrates Papastathopoulos (AC Milan/ITA)

Midfielders: Kostas Katsouranis, Giorgos Karagounis, Sotiris Ninis, Stergos Marinos (all Panathinaikos), Giorgos Tzavellas (Panionios), Savvas Gentzoglou, Pantelis Kafes (both AEK), Giannis Papadopoulos (Olympiakos)

Forwards: Dimitris Salpingidis (PAOK), Fanis Gekas (Eintracht Frankfurt/GER), Giorgos Samaras (Celtic/SCO), Kostas Mitroglou (Olympiakos).

nice to see some of the youngsters get a chance(marinos, gentzoglou, papadopoulos) who are all uncapped....the only REAL surprise to me was the inclusion is kafes...

its also nice to see charisteas and patsa dropped...

hopefully k. papadopoulos will be called up soon as well and remember we still have amanatidis (who is returning from injury) and pliatsikas who will hopefully play a role in the team as well under santos...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i doubt these players will start but these friendlies are the types of matches that these players need to start seeing to get some experience under their belts. getting into the nt training camp, seeing some minutes, playing a bit at the highest level...

they arent ready to be permanent fixtures in the team, but they have to start getting these expereinces now, it will only help their careers..not to mention psychologically...they will feel accepted, they will realize that their presence is important and will be important in the team..when the coach shows you support, it lifts you as a player, especially on the national level...

they will be the future, they need to start seeing a little bit of time...players like karagounis and katsouranis will not be around for that much longer and they need to pass what they can, on a intl level, down to these players...

I appreciate that Pao123, but there are clear selection problems here in my opinion. Gentzoglou makes the squad, Marinos makes the squad, G.Papadopoulos makes the squad, but A.Papadopoulos, Koutsianikoulis aren't in?

Koutsianikoulis is really inexcusable considering how good he's been for the u21s and we're lacking a naturally left sided player. If these friendlies are for trying things then surely he deseves a crack, no?

however I still have to disagree with his approach, if he is indeed just experimenting. if he's going to make big changes then surely the new team should be getting used to playing together, or is he going to throw them all in at the deep end against Croatia?

So he's either making the incorrect squad selections or experimenting when he should be working on gelling the squad! Either way it makes me nervous. Obviously i'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt but i just wonder whether we'll ever see Koutsianikoulis in a Greece shirt

i doubt these players will start but these friendlies are the types of matches that these players need to start seeing to get some experience under their belts. getting into the nt training camp, seeing some minutes, playing a bit at the highest level...

they arent ready to be permanent fixtures in the team, but they have to start getting these expereinces now, it will only help their careers..not to mention psychologically...they will feel accepted, they will realize that their presence is important and will be important in the team..when the coach shows you support, it lifts you as a player, especially on the national level...

they will be the future, they need to start seeing a little bit of time...players like karagounis and katsouranis will not be around for that much longer and they need to pass what they can, on a intl level, down to these players...

Exactly ;)

We have seen him in a Greece shirt before, and I'm sure we'll see him again. Having said that I can't believe you would want A. Pap in the team?

You still need soem veterans.

Besides, Avraam did very well in the World Cup and we need his speed

We have seen him in a Greece shirt before, and I'm sure we'll see him again. Having said that I can't believe you would want A. Pap in the team?

You should know me better than that, i actually mean K.Pap!

Having said that i'm not against Avraam in the squad, just don't want him starting

im not really a fan of this match being played...i think its kind of ridiculous that right after the WC ends and in the middle of the club preseason these players have to go off and play kind of a useless friendly...

i will be really pissed if one of our players gets injured...

I agree with Pao123 but Greece has the qualifiers for the Euro 2012 coming up so Santos needed to see wich players he can rely on.Everybody knows here that Santos will try to play a different style than Rehagel was using and that will be presure from everybody so the NT comes prepared for it.

You should know me better than that, i actually mean K.Pap!

Having said that i'm not against Avraam in the squad, just don't want him starting

Ah, ok.

This is only on Conn-x tv ... damn, can't watch it through Greeklive and was looking forward to this all day ...

Yeah I registered at Betfair to be able to watch this (one of the links on myp2p) ... couldn't keep myself together and placed money on the game as well ... :rolleyes:

:LOL: :LOL: You crazy man you.... :LOL: :tup: :gr:

Archived