Phantis Forums

Leoforos Stadium

jerry

As i'm in Athens in early september and theres no games due to the Euro 2012 qualifiers I thought i may try to gain access to the old stadium for photos. Would this be possible or is it strictly a closed arena now?

I'm pretty sure someone said the Academy played here and if so are those games open to the public and would there be a game on sunday 5th september?

Is the club shop still open for business here or is this closed down now aswell?

If the basketball / swimming team are still here would there not be a way to see the stadium from these arenas?

Thanks

Jerry

the club fan shop is definately open at leoforos, you can go there and buy shirts, scarves, jackets, etc.

as for stadium access for photos, last time i was there i just found an entrance open, walked in and took some photos. i even managed to get on the field and no one noticed i was there. i dont think anyone would of cared really.

i believe the basketball courts and pools are still used, and possibly other facilities as well but not really sure.

going to painea was harder though. i know they have a museum type gallery there with trophies and memorabilia but i couldnt get access....i went there after i found a taxi willing enuff to drive me there (after half an hr of looking for one in centre of athens) and all i got to see was a bit of the training pitch and that was it

but worth the drive as i prolly will never do it again!

you dont need to drive to paiania anymore, the proastiako (which is the suburban train) runs through there as does the metro now too(the line that runs to the airport)...

i lived in between vrilisia and halandri for a while as my family owns an apt out there and used to drive out there (before i had license :D ) to try and see some of the training sessions...i have fond memories of those drives :rolleyes:

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree with what you are saying, a 21k stadium is not really what we should be aiming for as we are a big club. However I do not see anything else realistically happening, even before the economic crisis it was all talk with Votanikos. If we do not upgrade Leoforos we will be in the year 2020 and still talking about a new stadium and probably playing in OAKA again.

Love your enthusiasm JVC, wish I can share it.. But you have to have realistic expectations bud.. Greece is in a rut economically and qualification for CL is an uphill battle I'm afraid with Euro-Giants with much bigger budgets in our way..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The work is planned to start straight after the play offs, let's just hope this happens and there is no more delays. The renovation will be in three stages.

http://www.contra.gr/Columns/Comment/dimitris-kritis/panathinaikos/lewforos-se-treis-faseis.3961726.html

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/podosfairo/etsi-tha-einai-i-nea-lewforos-vid/3151287

• 4 weeks later...