Phantis Forums

Kyriakos Papadopoulos ‒ (Now Playing for Lamia)

Euro2004

hes a beast, he has all the attributed to be a huge player...he played very well last night, cut alot of inter attacks and made a few nice driving runs forward i especially like when he took on ranocchia and thiago and a gained a foul...he did well to keep his cool after he got the yellow and maicon got into his face and started cursing him. he stepped back, put his hands in the air and walked away despite serious provocation...that shows some great mental strength which is fantastic considering he is only 19. but as euro said, he needs to work on his distribution, which will come naturally if he continues in a starting role. if he continues playing, he will only progress forward...he is strong and tall, good technique, good tackling and instinctual positional awareness. he is also a danger off set pieces...he won a nice header in the box and i also believe it was his header that set up howedess' goal that got ruled out for offside...

think of where he would be if he were still at oly...on the bench! that should be a wake up call to our other promising youngsters ( ie fetz, mitro) who are riding the bench or getting little time at their clubs...since valverde is staying, i think mitroglou should move on. i hope he looks at pap as an example of what he could do in germany..

Although i agree with you 100% who are we kidding? Greek players seem to be idiots, mitro and fetfa aren't going anywhere. Even Papastathopoulos is being strongly linked with a return to Greece! These fools want the big contract. They'd rather earn 25k a week in Olympiakos' squad than earn 15k a week in Hamburg's squad for instance.

I'll be really short.

Santos needs to call up Kyriako in to the next Ethniki squad and make him the captain going forward.

That's how much I rate this kid. He is no hype like Sokrati,Fetfa/Ninis.

no way is he ready to be captain. he's a kid.

i think if he continues he will definitely be a FUTURE captain. hes got all of the qualities as a player and as a leader...lets get him playing for the ethniki first, then see how it goes from there...i think his run with schalke will be enough for santos...if not i will be very dissapointed.

• 2 weeks later...

HALF TIME: 0-0.

Papadopoulos made one good defensive header but overall he isn't having a good game at all. His ball distribution hasn't been great and he has struggled with their tempo. Rooney is dropping deep but Papadopoulos hasn't pressed at all. If it wasn't for Schalke's keeper, Neuer, they'd be getting killed. He is without doubt the best keeper in the world.

FULL TIME: Schalke 0-2 Man Utd

Schalke should have lost 0-6 but Neuer once more proved that there isn't a better keeper in world football. Papadopoulos played 90 mins but he really struggled, as did the rest of the team. His ball distribution was terrible, when he went up for set pieces he was dominated aerially, he didn't show much passion, but worst of all he looked slow and unfit. He wasn't pressing effectively at all and for much of the time he was just walking around aimlessly. Poor performance from the kid. Hopefully he analyses his mistakes and learns from them. It's an experience

he missed schalke's last league game through injury so he may not have been fully fit, also its his first season in germany and he's still only 19.

on a side note neuer is class but casillas is the best keeper i've ever seen.

funny how man utd get the most favourable draw in europe every season :angry:

on a side note neuer is class but casillas is the best keeper i've ever seen.

Football, like much of life is about opinions.

I personally think Casillas is one of the most overrated keeper I have ever seen.

Messi putting the ball through his legs for the 1st goal 2 nights ago proves my point.

Casillas has been fortunate he has played for very successful teams (Real/Spain). I'd like to see him play for Kerkyra or Iraklis and we'd all see how average he really is.

Neuer is all class. Unofficially the best in the world at present.

I personally think Casillas is one of the most overrated keeper I have ever seen.

Messi putting the ball through his legs for the 1st goal 2 nights ago proves my point.

Casillas has been fortunate he has played for very successful teams (Real/Spain). I'd like to see him play for Kerkyra or Iraklis and we'd all see how average he really is.

Neuer is all class. Unofficially the best in the world at present.

i disagree, when you're at real the pressure to succeed is immense, they have unlimited funds and can replace you in an instant, the fact he has consistently been real's keeper for the last 10 years shows his class, also spain have a lot of top keepers to choose from and have always gone with casillas.

any journeyman can play at kerkyra or iraklis.

as for papadopoulos he played 90 minutes against munich so i expect a better performance from him on wednesday at old trafford, will be a big test for him.

I think everyone is exaggerating again :) Casillas is a million times better than anyone in the Greek league. He's in the top 5 keepers in the world today but certainly not the best ever. js1000 surely you don't rate him above Schmeichel, Buffon and Seaman? And that's just in the last 10-15 years!

Back to Papadopoulos, i like him but think he's a bit top heavy and immobile. He also seems to lack grit and that's not something that can be taught. I want to see some of that psychotic-Gattuso-fire-in-the-belly type passion. Kyrgiakos had that too. The sort of attitude where he'll go on the field tomorrow, look at Rooney in the eyes and think "who do you think you are? You're not better than me mate! You're going in my back pocket. I'm stopping you at all costs!". He's a great talent though and i'd love to see him here in England. Hopefully he puts in a great performance tomorrow and attracts some interest

Edited by Euro2004

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

papadopoulos has signed a new contract with schalke until 30 june 2015

http://www.sport.gr/default.asp?pid=4&aid=100053

seems he's had quite a year, big move to germany, broke into the first 11, european cup semi final appearance, won the german cup, made his debut for greece, scored his first international goal, has been rewarded with a contract extension and he's still only 19.

i bet he wishes he stayed at olympiakos :P

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

scored a fantastic header in schalkes 2-1 victory at home to steaua.

reports indicate man utd and man city amongst afew names have shown serious interest in him...

if man utd came knocking, it would be hard for him to say no..that would be a great move considering ferguson is on the prowl for young good talent and he actually uses them...at man city, he would ride the bench if that....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Argy changed the title to Kyriakos Papadopoulos ‒ Free agent
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Kyriakos Papadopoulos ‒ (Now Playing for Lamia)
  • Dutch Eagle pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic