Phantis Forums

Euro 2016 France

haydar

I would agree that Portugal have good depth, with players like Moutinho and Quarasma on the bench. Santos has been rotating players well throughout the tournament. But I wouldn't put Eder in that same bracket, he's bollox if his form in the EPL is anything to go by and he's the best no.9 Portugal have. But he's come up with the goods in the final and will be remembered for that forever in Portugal.

Props to Portugal, pleased to see a passionate and determined team get what they deserved. And as every other poster has said, Santos is an absolute legend and genius.

Ronaldo scored 2 goals against Hungary which saved them from being knocked out in the group stage, big semi final performance as well, he played his part overall.

It doesn't seem to matter who wins or losses, are the English the biggest sooks ever? Seriously they have been useless for half a century lol. Who are they to talk about anti football ffs.

Through the years Portugal had some great teams and some fantastic players, but in the end to win it all they had to play like Greece. Lol

Good on them though. 2004 must have been really rough on them to lose in their own backyard to a team of outsiders. Now they did the exact same thing to France.

• Like it 1

The Santos haters must be having a bad day.  Takes us to the WC round of 16 and penalties away from the QF

and then heads over to Portugal and wins them their first major title. 

I wonder if there are Portuguese Phantis forum type fans, im sure there are , they probably questioned his sub choices.Then his sub Eder goes and scores the winner.

Poor Santos/Otto haters lol must be a rough night sleep tonight

Dont worry it was his nose hairs that won it all for them!!

Edited by Polikastano

If I thought they were gonna win I would have prepared a big posted "2004 Greece never forget" for them, because I'm on the busiest street in the Portuguese section. But I never believed in them they were not that great this tourney, but the won, hats off to them.

what a cruel game football is, France and Giginac where an inch away from winning it in the last minute. Just shows how big a role luck plays in these tourneys especially when you want to sit back. If lady luck smiles on you, you can do it. Congrats to Portugal and Santos

• Like it 1

every single team that has won a major tournament has had luck in parts whether they were underdogs or favourites, it's impossible to dominate every game for 90 minutes. I think in portugals case and certainly in ours you tend to make your own luck when you have a commited team on the field that plays for eachother.

Edited by Greekoz

I have to say, I'm very impressed with what Santos pulled off. Portugal changed tactic after Hungary 3-3 and that's all on the coach. It played out exactly how he said it would. His record in internationals is 42 W, 21 D, 12 L 56% win and just a 16% loss ratio with Greece-Portugal. That's impressive, when you compare with other elite coaches in the game.

Mourinho 66% win and 13% loss ratio and Guardiola 73% win and 10% loss ratio over their managerial careers. Joachim Low 55% win and 24% loss ratio with Germany.