Phantis Forums

PANATHINAIKOS v. oly

athinaios

Sunday, 7 pm, OAKA.

Let it rip, boys. :D

It's nice to be riding high and play gavroi without them having a chance for the title. I'm too happy to think right now, but there are 12 points left and we're up by 5, so we only need 7 points, that is, 2 wins and a tie.

I hardly think PAOK won't drop any more, but let's say...

Anyway, the only bad thing for us is that Spyropoulos may miss the derby.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually if we beat oly and paok lose to aek we are only 1 point from the title from the following 3 games

i think this game needs to be a true fiesta for the title

anything less than 2-0 win is a failure :)

:whistle:

what a huge game this will be...either we basically clinch the title here or we make it a tighter race until the end...im excited and a part of me thinks we will destroy oly, but a part of me also is trained to be worried that we will make things more difficult for ourselves then necessary...we need all our players ready and have to hope no one gets injured in the mid-week match with standard..

to be honest i dont think positions on the table and form have any importance when looking at this game..its a derby, plain and simple, and anything can happen..

i have a feeling paok will drop points before the end of the year...aek will go out and play hard and they will have trouble with kavala who will look to try to make it into the playoffs...

im so excited and so nervous and this isnt veen our next match...

Hahahaha great subliminal message in the topic title ...

Panathinaikos v. oly

Anyways the title is in your hands. I think Oly will be more focused on the Bordeaux game tbh.

hahahha... you've got an eye for detail! also, for seeing something nice (animated signature) and steal it! :LOL:

please beat PAOK. :P

I tried to get tickets at 10:00 am, when they went on sale.

The lines were huge, both at gate 4, and Irini metro station.

Decided to watch the game on Nova with friends.

Let's be true and real. anything less than a good old thrashing of oly, will be a letdown...

My views on this have been expressed on the PAO-Standard thread.

What I wish for is a qualification in the Europa Cup! :gr:

No matter what, NO excuses.

PAO OLE :tup:

PEACE

zairi is out for the derby and mellberg came back from france slightly injured as well but will probably make the game..dudu is absent as well which means we will probably see stoltidis-maresca in the middle, who will hopefully get trounced by gilberto and kats..toro might be pushed up in the midfield as well..

spyropoulos is out, along with darlas. gabriel was in the team vs standard and is fit to play..marinos will hopefully make it into the team so kante can move back into the middle and vyntra out on the left marking lua lua, whos pace would probably circle kante...we really need to drive on the left side with our wing back flying fwd like spyropoulos does..kante didnt help in attack at all vs standard...vyntra and marinos are better going forward..i would like to see ninis start but it might be better to add him as a sub to freshen up our game like he does best..salpi has to have a killer game, he was fairly annonymous vs standard..alot of our goalscoring comes from salpiggidis' hard work..when cisse is marked tight (which he will be vs oly), salpi will have nice gaps to play through,(especially since avraam is awful) and he will have to take advantage of those and make himself and his speed dangerous...

leonardo will be missing for oly as well..zairi was confirmed out today and melberg is in...

the team stayed in belgium instead of traveling directly and trained there...thats why nioplias brought simao along...maybe this was a good idea..

reports say that simao might replace byarmsyr and katsouranis would be pushed back into the center of defense..i know he played that position for benfica and heard he did pretty well..the only problem with that is that lose some attacking force in the midfield...

we will probably have a much better idea of the starting line up tomorrow after training...

honestly, this game is probable the most important game of the season...if we lose we set ourselves back, especially if paok manage to beat aek (which i think that game will end in a tie) that puts ALOT of pressure on us in the last three match days..not to mention we play pas next week and probably the week after for the cup as well...if we win, the title is 98% in our hands...

if we tie..then we tie :D

im too pumped for this game..i wish it was sunday already

This is a crazy game. Both Olympiakos and PAO had demanding mid-week games, and both teams have key injuries.

Zairi being out is good news for us. Olympiakos' offensive players match up favorably against our defenders so whoever plays LB will have an easier time without Zairi's dribbling. Having Marinos available would be key. If he can cover the right side, then Vintra can play CB. I have the feeling Mitroglou might run circles around the undersized Katsourani. Sariegi-Kante should be back at CB if possible. It's the only position on the field where cooperation is so crucial and the two of them have developed a little rapport.

From all the Olympiakos players, I am worried about the old foxes the most. Stoltidis is at the end of his career but he can pull some magic in the odd corner or freekick. Katsouranis can match up well with him and the other Olympiakos midfielders. Besides, every time we pull Katsourani out or on defense, our offense suffers.

I would play

---------------------Tzorvas-----------------

Marinos-------Sariegi----Kante-------Vintra

--------------Katsouranis---Gilberto--------

Salpigidis------------Ninis-------------Leto

---------------------Cisse------------------

With an eye for throwing Karagouni in at some point either to spell Nini or to increase our midfield presence.

If Marinos can't go, I would play Bjarsmyr on the right. If he messes up there we might not feel it as much as if he messes up in the middle. Gabriel hasn't played in three months so he might not be ready for a full speed derby.

We must win this one. no sitting back. Pull all the stops and score early to open up Olympiakos. I do think they will play a tight game in midfield and defense hoping to score on a freekick or a counter.

Lost in all the hoopla and homogenized media reports is the fact that we don't have much to lose in this one.

We are 5 points ahead from PAOK and 7 from Olympiakos. Even if we lose on Sunday, we are still 2 points ahead from PAOK - assuming they beat AEK, something not so easy with all their missing players. With three games left (@Atromitos, Iraklis, and @ Giannina) we will still be in first place.

So there is really no fear for Panathinaikos except the fear of playing scared.

Olympiakos doesn't have much to lose either so I hope that, at last we'll see an open and entertaining game, worthy of the two biggest clubs of Greece.

I think this should be a game to remember for a long time. One side has been a champ for many years but out of contention now. The other one is rising and has an incentive to start a new era of dominace (and I think the better team is PAO)..

They both should play open to win this one. They should play for their clubs history, fans, and have a great game.

I'd say there's more pressure on PAO to show they're better.

Marinos, Sariegi, Darlas , Spyropoulos are out.

It will be interesting to see what Nioblias does with the defense, and the media has every possible combination for our defense.

If Bjarsmyr/kante are healthy, I say let them work at their best position (even if Bjarsmyr has been sub-par. It's his chance to pick it up). We bought them for the position and they should be challenged. If anything, I think the simplest thing to do is to play the players in positions where they can reasonable excel.

If Seitaridis can play half a game, put him at his best position: on the right. Gabriel is also coming off an injury. The two can split time if they can't finish the whole game.

Vintra has been the iron man (ftou ftou mh ton matiasw) and he can cover the LB and be productive with some diagonal runs forward.

With a make-shift defense we'll probably concede a goal so we have to make it up with elevated game from our midfield and a couple of goals from our forwards.

with all our defensive problems i am becoming more skeptical about this...no sarriegi either? byarsmyr-katsouranis as our centre backs?

hopefully our attack will come out on fire bc i find it hard to believe that we wont conceed...gilberto and simao will need to have monster games to protect our makeshift defense...

Apparently, the ever-stupid fans that simply can't get over the Neanderthal that dominates their existence attacked the OSFP bus with flares and bottles. Police jumped in, a ticket booth went ablaze etc etc. Pateras issued a warning against this kind of behaviour but anonymous jerks all over the internet were advertising the upcoming kafriles yesterday and the day before. I 'm still left wondering why it is so hard for the Greek authorities to check the IPs and question these people. I was hoping we would be the bigger men for once but these idiots are embarassing us again.

Edit: there might have been gunfire too, according to sportdog.gr, as the police found a hole in the bus' fron bumper. Nice, guys, keep it up until you finally kill someone and get your pictures on a banner or something.

I never understood why a fan of the sport and of a worthy team wants to assault the players of the other team. Basic animal instinct, some would say. I'd say it's reinforced stupidity and a sub-culture I abhor.

This is a sport to be enjoyed. And, unless you respect the others, you give no rights of respect to you.

And, yes, Titus, these hooligans must be stopped and their punishment should set an example that such behavior is not tolerated in a country that wants to be modern with enlightened citizens.

I think if a certain behavior isn't stopped, then it becomes acceptable. Sadly, many of those fans need to be civilized or be put away.

Archived