Phantis Forums

Give OSFP more penalty calls, Justice demands it.

Go:bekli

For years fans demand that officiating be fair. They are wrong!

The Greek championship consists of 4 groups:

-The teams that might win the championship

-The teams that might make it to the play-offs

-The teams that neither fear nor hope. and

- the teams that try to stay in the league.

Therefore, when Torosidis scores, against the regulations, against Ergotelis or Atromitos is denied a penalty call, Ergotelis and Atromitos are marginally hurt. The true victims are PAO and PAOK.

When a doubtful penalty is whistled against Panionios, the victim is not Panionios as much as OSFP and PAOK. In parallel, if Panionios and Kavala were disputing a position among the first 5, the penalty would have helped Kavala.

Since good officiating is at best hard to impossible (and in our experience impossible and in favor of the big clubs) justice requires that a different approach be adopted. Namely:

1) Each dominant club be awarded a number of arbitrary penalty calls that are exercised, as needed, against lesser opponents

2) If review of the match shows acceptance of doubtful calls and non-calls against an opponent, the dominant club forfeits the match.

3) Lesser clubs also receive a quota of doubtful calls to be used against them.

If such a system were in use, OSFP would have called a penalty against himself last Sunday and, if need be, he would have later exercised his right for an arbitrary penalty call. Ninis would have probably declined the penalty call against Panionios and so on and so forth.

It strikes me that under such a system we would see better and more honest soccer. Social inequalities would be openly known. We could, if need be, have open penalty auctions with the proceeds going to the weaker teams. A practice that would lead to more competitive clubs and games.

But the most important gain would be that the mentally challenged Pateras and his equals would not be busting our balls with meaningless soliloquies and farts that lost their way!

I like your interesting system, and it's sad to admit, but your rules on officiating would actually be more fair than the current one we have in the bourdelo league.

However, I have 2 words I believe would solve everything: INSTANT REPLAY

There is ONE main referee. How many cameras are there? Like 15? Who has the better judgement? If there are enough bad calls made by a ref verified by instant replay, he should be suspended and eventually fired. Football is corrupt, not just in Greece, but in Italy, in England in Europe, in the World Cup, etc. Torosidis goal v. Ergotelis, double gang bang v. Derbyshire, Henry's hand ball v. Ireland, the "Hand of God" by Maradona, and the list goes on....

Some people claim that it would slow down the game for an extra couple minutes. Ok, so now you can bitch about the games for an extra 365 days a year. Yeah, that makes lots of sense. ;)

I'm an Olympiakos fan and always will be. Torosidis goal vs. Ergotelis should NOT have been allowed. You know how I confirmed this? INSTANT REPLAY! and It took me an entire 30 seconds! We can't wait an extra 30 - 60 seconds, but instead we can bitch forever about the result of the game. My Tivo has better judgement than these vl@kes. :LOL:

The technology is there, however, the will to do the right thing is not, and I don't think it ever will be.

There are of course, as you point out, the technical means to ensure that most refereeing errors are avoided. Still, a side point of the original post (a point that I did not push for the sake of relative brevity) is that the differences in club strengths is such that even if all refereeing were fair, the championship would be of dubious value. If, that is, the championship is a method of determining the best team. Because (and as an example):

1) Over the last 15 years OSFP has won all sorts of championships and then went to Europe to be slaughtered while, often enough, PAO had better runs. PAO supporters have their own theories about it, theories that I will not discuss (it is a fool's errand to try and determine which one has gotten more undeserved calls). The performance related difference was simple enough:

In its good days OSFP had a better than decent attack (for domestic purposes) and an Anatolakis-quality defense; rarely tested since most Greek teams would play against OSFP ferocious defense. PAO had a decent defense but a rather weak attack. As a result, all other things being equal, you would expect OSFP to collect more points than PAO from second and third tier opponents, and you would expect him to perform abysmally when he had to play defense or perish.

2) Last year PAOK was second but during the playoffs did not perform all that well. There are several reasons for that, mostly that Santos had created a disciplined team (out of lesser players) that did not drop points against weak opponents and performed so-so against the top-ones. During the play-offs though it had to play against first tier teams!

If there is truth to what I wrote above, you must ask yourself the following questions:

1) What does it mean to be champion?

2) Is the championship a good way to determiner who will represent Greece in international competitions?

3) Are all wins at the Greek championship equally good indicators of quality?

And if there is no good answer for 1) and the answers for 2 and 3 are NO and NO, then, I believe, you will have to conclude that refereeing fairness in the Greek championship is not all that important.

And if there is no good answer for 1) and the answers for 2 and 3 are NO and NO, then, I believe, you will have to conclude that refereeing fairness in the Greek championship is not all that important.

my response is....

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood?

if you answered chuck norris you win

Well, by now even the blind can see that OSFP plays pitiful soccer and that his being only at -5 is a ringing proof that miracles are possible.

Anyway, I did call Socrates and asked him how and why he and his helpers managed to emasculate OSFP. The man said:

1) I have had enough of all these fellows who professed that they no longer cared for championships, all they cared about was European glory. I arranged that they reap what they sowed (actually the easy half) and I am having great fun serving them their just deserts.

2) All is not Schadenfreude though. As you know the EU asked through Ollie Rehn that the Greek Government put an end to the practice of closed professions (e.g., pharmacies). I saw these developments coming and I decided that in order that the title not be seen as a closed profession and that in order to avoid the European tutelage it was imperative that we let someone else win.

Well, by now even the blind can see that OSFP plays pitiful soccer and that his being only at -5 is a ringing proof that miracles are possible.

Anyway, I did call Socrates and asked him how and why he and his helpers managed to emasculate OSFP. The man said:

1) I have had enough of all these fellows who professed that they no longer cared for championships, all they cared about was European glory. I arranged that they reap what they sowed (actually the easy half) and I am having great fun serving them their just deserts.

2) All is not Schadenfreude though. As you know the EU asked through Ollie Rehn that the Greek Government put an end to the practice of closed professions (e.g., pharmacies). I saw these developments coming and I decided that in order that the title not be seen as a closed profession and that in order to avoid the European tutelage it was imperative that we let someone else win.

:LOL: :LOL: :tup:

I just found my calling: I want to be Go:Bekli when I grow up :nw:

One point of order from the un-grown me though: the "championship" is not a method of determining who has the "best" team.

The championship is a method of determining who accumulates most points over a set number of games.

For lack of a better definition, we reduce the concept "best" to an easily decipherable mathematical problem.

I am back and since this year at least what the title tallks about is not happening i will go ahead and close this down or redirect it if you guys want more to any other colour forum......

Archived