Phantis Forums

Roma-Panathinaikos

pao123

roma will be without both totti and pizarro...toni is fighting to make the match...

i think we can progress...if we pop in an early goal we will be set...the truth is we cant sit back, if we do, they will score 2 or 3 easy on us..we need to play our game..the good news is that gilberto trained today with the rest of the team and will probably be ready for the match...a 1-0 will be enough for them so we need to be very careful...we know they have holes in their defensive line and cisse is stronger and faster then their centre backs..i would like to see katsournis get a rest in this match..maybe replace him ith simao for more stability of ninis for more fluidity going forwrd...

we can do it, we need to believe we can...

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with PAO123, Roma will score on us, and having scored 2 in Athens makes it harder for us. 1-0 would have been preferable.

I hope we advance but I won't be upset if we didn't. Realistically we have a chance but I don't want euro play to distract us from the league title. They're not mutually exclusive but the team often blows a domestic game after a good euro game. We can't afford it this season.

I way 2-1.

I 've said it before and I 'll say again like any old man worth his salt would: to become a winning team you have to win. Against PAOK, we pushed forward like madmen in the last 15 mins of the game. The team is fit (HTC was great at that) and we can rest a couple of players here and there without sacrificing too much of our power and ability. We did not lose to PAOK because of the great game against Roma; we lost inspite of it. And Europe is much too important for big clubs - let alone PAO. I want the league but I 'm also a PAO fan. So, 100 % against Roma, my good lads. And then on to Panionios.

I am on board too GT. I want to see PAO in the Europa League 16. I think we can do it, and we can beat Panionios on Sunday too.

There are about 10 to 12 (assuming we don't have to go through the playoff ordeal) games left for the season. We can finish strong and there is no need to be resting players. We have the conditioning, we need the determination and the discipline.

I still think we'll win in Roma.

I 've said it before and I 'll say again like any old man worth his salt would: to become a winning team you have to win. Against PAOK, we pushed forward like madmen in the last 15 mins of the game. The team is fit (HTC was great at that) and we can rest a couple of players here and there without sacrificing too much of our power and ability. We did not lose to PAOK because of the great game against Roma; we lost inspite of it. And Europe is much too important for big clubs - let alone PAO. I want the league but I 'm also a PAO fan. So, 100 % against Roma, my good lads. And then on to Panionios.

G Titus, I like your attitude. Success in Europe should always be the top priority of every Greek team. The Super League is a Super Bourdelo, and I'd rather have my team shine in the bright lights of Europe than the red lights of this so called Super League.

Wish you well in Rome. :tup:

I agree with PAO123, Roma will score on us, and having scored 2 in Athens makes it harder for us. 1-0 would have been preferable.

I hope we advance but I won't be upset if we didn't. Realistically we have a chance but I don't want euro play to distract us from the league title. They're not mutually exclusive but the team often blows a domestic game after a good euro game. We can't afford it this season.

I way 2-1.

I don't believe one will distract the other and plus the Euro is much more of a challenge than the Greek league. If we advance in Europe that proves the kind of team we are (not counting any wierd calls). Not so at home.

I think for at least one half of the game we should be a bit more defensive to contain the opposition. Scoring early would be great for us.

roma will be without both totti and pizarro...toni is fighting to make the match...

i think we can progress...if we pop in an early goal we will be set...the truth is we cant sit back, if we do, they will score 2 or 3 easy on us..we need to play our game..the good news is that gilberto trained today with the rest of the team and will probably be ready for the match...a 1-0 will be enough for them so we need to be very careful...we know they have holes in their defensive line and cisse is stronger and faster then their centre backs..i would like to see katsournis get a rest in this match..maybe replace him ith simao for more stability of ninis for more fluidity going forwrd...

I don't think resting Kats would be a good idea at all since he's someone who can be a defensive as well as offensive and score goals. This is exactly what we need. We don't want to be too open and attacking; then it becomes "up in the air" for both teams.

i dont think that anyone here is disputing over advancing to the 16 vs winning the SL. I will always choose European competition over this bush league called Super league. I dont think we are ready to make a serious run with this pathetic defence. Our managment has let us down. Fans can see that we lack quality on defence, yet these people who get paid to see this dont? I obviously hope we advance here i dont think we do much when the teams get tougher.

I don't think resting Kats would be a good idea at all since he's someone who can be a defensive as well as offensive and score goals. This is exactly what we need. We don't want to be too open and attacking; then it becomes "up in the air" for both teams.
katsouranis the last few games has looked very ineffective on the pitch..he rarely really moves, its obvious he needs a rest..of course you can always blame it on the fact that hes playing a bit more forward then he is used to but he has looked weak then last handful of games...

I completely agree.

No need to knock the guy. He is an important player for us and he has come through in unexpected ways, and he will find his form again. Nothing wrong with some rest either.

Nioblias already said Gilberto is not ready for Thursday so he won't start, so I think Katsouranis will play against Roma and Gilberto will be rested for the Panionios game. If he keeps his game in our own half he will do well. Playing as an AM is not really his cup of tea and he said so himself. He likes taking his moment being the free agent in the box.

Now that Olympiakos lost I really hope we go through because I like the "couch" jokes and because Greece needs some points to keep us high. On a similar note, we want the points for ourselves so we can be seeded as high as possible in European games next season.

reports say nioplias will tweak the starting 11...apparently marinos is getting the start along with byarsmyr, ninis and christodoulopoulos...apparently we are looking at a team like so....

-------------------------tzorvas-----------------------------

---------vyntra---------kante----------byarsmyr--------

-----marinos---------------------------------spyro-------

----------------simao------------karagounis-------------

------ninis------------------------------------xristo-------

-------------------------cisse------------------------------

seems like nioplias is a bit scared and turning to the defense on this...i dont really like this line up....marinos and byarsmyr dont have the experience for this kind of game...bad idea in my opinion to throw them into this one especially since the threat of toni, totti and pizarro will not be there....i see nioplias trying to play on the counter attack...

on the other end, i dont know if starting leto, salpi, gilberto and katsouranis is a good idea considering our position in the league...i know there has been alot of discussion on resting players for the league but the truth is it needs to happen at some point...5 games in 2 weeks is difficult, even if your team is in really good condition...even though progressing in uefa would be a dream come true, the league comes first, the championship is our ultimate goal and we should stick to it...we should have faith in our players who have been sitting on the bench and maybe it will be a good chance for them to rise to the occasion and prove themselves...or it could turn to disaster...

luckily with players like leto and salpi on the bench, we have good attacking options if (when :huh: ) we go down a goal...their speed could help us in the crucial moment of the game when their wing backs are tiring in the second half...we only need a tie to progress and it looks like nioplias is playing for that ;)

Kara is in because he's got the experience for such games, but I see that Noblias has decided it's the league they want more. I agree with that. The league title will give us entry into the CL next season.

We don't have the team to go far in euro play right now. The defense is shaky. Every time we did well in euro play, PAO had a solid defense.

Generally I'm not someone who believes a team should hold back, or should rest players, but this late in the season, with 5 games in 2 weeks, AND have several older players, they need breathers. The older the player the more prone to injury if stressed too much. Gilberto shows this. Same with Rivaldo (remember him?).

I wouldn't be surprised if Kara is pulled out at some point too.

Playing Thu isn't good either. Wed would be more appropriate. Thu-Roma, Sun-PAOK away, not good.

reports say nioplias will tweak the starting 11...apparently marinos is getting the start along with byarsmyr, ninis and christodoulopoulos...apparently we are looking at a team like so....

-------------------------tzorvas-----------------------------

---------vyntra---------kante----------byarsmyr--------

-----marinos---------------------------------spyro-------

----------------simao------------karagounis-------------

------ninis------------------------------------xristo-------

-------------------------cisse------------------------------

seems like nioplias is a bit scared and turning to the defense on this...i dont really like this line up....marinos and byarsmyr dont have the experience for this kind of game...bad idea in my opinion to throw them into this one especially since the threat of toni, totti and pizarro will not be there....i see nioplias trying to play on the counter attack...

on the other end, i dont know if starting leto, salpi, gilberto and katsouranis is a good idea considering our position in the league...i know there has been alot of discussion on resting players for the league but the truth is it needs to happen at some point...5 games in 2 weeks is difficult, even if your team is in really good condition...even though progressing in uefa would be a dream come true, the league comes first, the championship is our ultimate goal and we should stick to it...we should have faith in our players who have been sitting on the bench and maybe it will be a good chance for them to rise to the occasion and prove themselves...or it could turn to disaster...

luckily with players like leto and salpi on the bench, we have good attacking options if (when :huh: ) we go down a goal...their speed could help us in the crucial moment of the game when their wing backs are tiring in the second half...we only need a tie to progress and it looks like nioplias is playing for that ;)

i think thats actually good lineup, at least as far as the back line goes, its much better with 3 CBs.

Lets honestly not kid ourselves - we are BAD in the back. with 2 CB's isn't going to be enough. Putting Bjarsmyr in, and moving Vyntra to CB is going to help the line absorb Roma attacks much, much better.

I also prefer Lazaros over Leto. Lazaros is a much harder worker lately, he runs and runs. Leto with PAOK was very bad, would not pass the ball and was overconfident. Thats also a common problem of Lazaros, but lately he seems to be improving in this quite a bit. I'd rather Leto comes on later if we need him, and have Lazaros tire them down a bit.

Still id like to say its pretty impressive that 3 young Greek prospects have been chosen to be in the 11 playing against Roma in the Olumpico... I really hope this will be Marinos game to shine especially.

Why are we even talking about resting players? If we get a draw we are in the last 16 against 1 of 2 teams that we are theoretically better than. In other words, the last 8 is a very realistic possibility. If we were to get there were are then merely 2 ties from a European final. Let's go out there tomorrow, play with passion, finish the Romans and move on. A European trophy is Panathinaikos' destiny, perhaps this is our year.

DON'T REST PLAYERS, GO FOR IT!

Archived