Phantis Forums

PAO-OLYMPIAKOS

athinaios

This Saturday, the teams meet again for the season's cup final. Oly seems to be in better shape this season, while PAO has lost too many games.

Maybe PAO is making a turnaround judging from the games against Marousi a few days ago. Marousi killed us in the euro league.

This is going to be a classic derby. I wouldn't be surprised if PAO wins this one to have a great run for the remainder or the season. Extremely hard to repeat in Europe, but they could take the domestic title and advance to the final 4.

One more remark: it's really sad that such an important game, when 2 of the best teams in europe play each other and there will be no regular fans in the stands.

Something has to change. It's a sport, it should be enjoyed. It's not an opportunity for cannibalism.

Well its a huge game for us.....If we win it can be the match that begins our season turnaround...

I beleive its 50/50 for each team. OSFP has also lost to Maroussi in A1...Though they seem to be the better team this season as we can't get it together.

Also some signings have been incredibly dissapointing, such as Milenko Tepic who was supposed to be some star but he's actually a big loser of what I've seen, pretty much every match he has no stats, low FG % and 2 pts a game... Kalathis is decent, but we can really do better.

Personally, I'm very satisfied with the team even if it doesn't get any title this season. It has done so much that no other Greek team has done ever.

Sometimes it only takes a slight edge, like being very hungry for titles, to win over an opponent. Maybe these players have lost this now. They have nothing more to prove. Self-preservation* may be another factor. I played sports and I know that in some games you give 110% and others 95%.... that's a difference between winning and losing to quality opponents.

I'll be watching today. :D

*when a player plays more conservatively to avoid injury.

Good game, but were dissapointing. Our offenses just arent productive enough....Countless times were stuck outside the perimeter and running down the clock to 24 before we rush some random shot..... Were still doing alright, but we need to play like champions to become them. This OSFP side isn't as forgiving as the ones in recent years.

down by 5 at half.

Too many mistakes, too little rebounds.... Defensivley we looked good in the 1st period but quite bad in the 2nd. I don't see a reason to not play zone and force OSFP to miss outside shots.

We can still come back, but for ONCE this season, we need to play like Champions.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no thread, so I'll post it here. Today (2/28/2010) Pao beat Oly in a regular season game at OAKA. Our team had the game under control and deservingly won it. We now have playoff advantage.

Maybe we still can win the league title. That's the only one we can this season.

Almost forgot to post on this one....

Panathinaikos with their best game of the season, finally beats OSFP 98-91.....We played quite well, we were dangerous and in control for pretty much the whole game, the last period we slipped a bit but we deserved our win. OSFP seemed to have some missing players, but PAO did well... our marksmen finally started hitting the 3ponta. Diamantidis was "back" for us, and finally Drew Nicholas starting hitting his 3's...made quite a big difference.

Now were basically a sealed 1st place finish meaning that in the finals we'll be having the advantage over OSFP. Still it will be a difficult title for us, but it will be a huge rebound from our tough season so far. We've got a pretty good chance at keeping our title. If we play like that in the finals, its ours.

Here are the PAO highlights.....My favourite play was @ 3:00 mins and also 3:20 by Heislip

• 2 weeks later...

careful...

i'm a mod now!

:D :P

Besides. We need the little space in our trophy cabinet for more important things than the Greek cup. But, have to say that steadily over the last 3 years OSFP has gotten a lot better at being competition for PAO. This year, they finally turned the tables and I knew it would happen eventually. PAO also bowed out of Euroleague, and OSFP is going to the Final 4.....(They drew Prokom Trefl w/ home advantage, I think Final 4 is more than a sure thing this season) and since PAO wont be there to crush their dreams like last season, OSFP have a reasonable chance at the Euroleague. But the league is going to be our advantage this year...

I still have faith PAO can get right back on top if they make some strong signings and rebuild this summer.

Pao as far as i am concerned is still the team to beat in Europe.We are improving,that is true but we still dont have the same auto-great-game mentality that some Pao players have from playing together for many years.

• 1 month later...

Well, Oly got the Greek cup, and that's the only title they'll get this season.... Unless they get the euro cup, because the domestic will be green again. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Time to re birth this topic, sorry I've been negligent......

The playoffs were inevitble for PAO and the finals are back on.....

PAO vs OSFP again, and we saw a PAO like its old self the other night, crushing OSFP, and Tsartsaris was 'back" for us......

73-54 :tup: great start to the finals... PAO is up 1-0, needs 2 wins in 4 games to take the Championship again...

here are the highlights:

Archived