Phantis Forums

Greek Channels leaving DirecTV?!

According to a rather heated discussion going on here, there are rumours that DirecTV will soon be getting rid of some of their International packages. I wonder if the Greek package might be one of those that might be dropped?! So far the only one mentioned in the thread is the Polish package and it has been removed from the DirecTV website so that part of the story appears to be true.

Nothing concrete here just rumor but it brings up the question of how well the Greek channels on DirecTV are doing?! I think this might have something to do with MEGA & Alter looking to get a foothold on cable platforms. With Antenna already available on many cable providers it would be a much better option for those interested in these channels as they could get them all through one provider whereas now with satellite they are spread out over 2 different providers.

To be continued...

:gr:

Someone told me the following Myth:

In October DirecTV gave six months notice to Greek Channels to ... get LOST; By April 1st the Greek subs of DirecTV will see no more Greek programming.

The subscriber numbers were neither growing nor at a level to justify using this four channel capacity instead of a HD channel with a hundred-fold more subs.

Fortunately, the expansion of Greek Channels on Cable is growing and Antenna leads by far- as it is happening for the last 15 years. :tup:

This will continue to happen for the next 15 years. :LOL:

All the rest will continue ... to live their Greek Myth. :whistle:

PS: That was a tale by MYTHOS :gr:

If true, that would really be bad news for all the Greek subs. Let's see how this turns out. From reading the thread on the other site, it seems DirecTV has already informed people about the Polish package. I guess the only thing we can do is wait for further news.

Fortunately, the expansion of Greek Channels on Cable is growing and Antenna leads by far- as it is happening for the last 15 years. :tup:

The problem is that so far this expansion is not nationwide yet. If the "shut off" is true, then it will leave a lot of people out in the cold. Sure Antenna is leading right now, but lets not forget that Antenna's programming is currently really mediocre. This can be seen from their ratings too.....

I guess the only option for the Greek channels on DirectTV would be to go back to Dish Network to be covered nationally initially, followed by cable expansion? But I wonder if the situation still exists where they will be forced to be put into the Antenna packages, and not be available a la carte, a reason that made them leave in the first place.

Let's see how this all turns out.

I think the only solution for international channels would be to offer their broadcast online via subscription. Those who like TVs can connect their computers or other device to the television. I can't believe we have such huge broadband infrastructure available and in 2010 we are still talking about satelite. It's not like Greek channels are offered as part of an expanded lineup. They are offered on their own over top of what people pay for the rest of the package.

I got out of the satellite subscription because I was fed up with all the re-allignment, price hikes, service downgrades, splits over platforms, and crappy customer service. Now I have over $300 worth of dishes and equipment collecting dust in the garage, but I won't subscribe to satellite even if it's the last broadcast venue on earth.

Why don't channels go online? I bet it would be much easier because they would be able to control their own infrastructure (maybe a few servers and a couple of technicians?) and they could offer lower prices and even interactive services. If Netflix can stream movies via broadband to computers, playstations and roxio boxes, then TV channels can do the same.

It's not like it's not happening. It reminds me last century when everyone downloaded music online and the music industry clinged fanatically to their CD distribution :rolleyes:

I guess the only option for the Greek channels on DirectTV would be to go back to Dish Network to be covered nationally initially, followed by cable expansion? But I wonder if the situation still exists where they will be forced to be put into the Antenna packages, and not be available a la carte, a reason that made them leave in the first place.

Directv has already burned them once some years ago with their half-ass commitment to International channels (also probably what made ERT stay away from them for good). I wouldn't be surprised if it did it again, as it already did to subscribers of the polish package.

However, I don't think the Greek channels are leaving on March 31. As you mentioned, there has already been notification about the polish packages. But even if the others go on cable like MEGA, STAR, ALTER did with RCN, I seem to remember ALPHA has a deal with Directv directly. Things would be more complicated there.

Why don't channels go online? I bet it would be much easier because they would be able to control their own infrastructure (maybe a few servers and a couple of technicians?) and they could offer lower prices and even interactive services. If Netflix can stream movies via broadband to computers, playstations and roxio boxes, then TV channels can do the same.

Good thinking! :tup:

The subscriber numbers on the Greek channels on Directv are being going down now for a long time.

No one wants two satellite systems in there house with two deferent bill.

The only two channels that are going to be around for a long time is ERT World and Antenna i do not see any future an the other ones . By moving to Directv they shut theme self in the foot and no way Dish Network will take them back.. There is talk that they will be going to Comcast .

I my self did cancel the Greek package from Directv

The future now is on fiber cable companys.

DKSat

The only two channels that are going to be around for a long time is ERT World and Antenna i do not see any future an the other ones.

I agree with this partly, I would include MEGA Cosmos into the mix as well. MEGA is currently the most popular channel in Greece and has been for several years now, airing several very popular programs. If this Greek Media Group can expand the distribution of MEGA Cosmos on cable so people have access to the channel then I think it will have a future as well. They made a big mistake moving to DirecTV IMO but on the other hand since they were not happy with the way the channel was offered they were within their right to leave. I don't see them going back to Dish, I think they will try and focus on cable- Time Warner & Comcast I think are the two largest in the US if I am not mistaken?!

The rest as you mention DKSat are what I would call 'niche' services which probably don't make as much money and as a result will eventually cease broadcasting internationally.

It looks like the Greek package will indeed be discontinued by DirecTV, the website they have set up for their International services no longer lists the Greek Package. The Polish package has also been removed so I guess this is a sort of unofficial confirmation that the Greek channels are no more on DirecTV.

DirecTV International

Interesting. When you click on each link on that site, it takes you to a dedicated site. Although Greek isn't listed, if you sub out for example "Korean" for "Greek" in the URL, they have a dedicated Greek site. If you do the same for Polish, no page loads.

http://greek.directvinternational.com/gr/

I gave DirecTV a call. They claim only the Polish package is going. But you never know.... I guess we will just have to wait and see?

It will be a real shame if they do in fact drop the Greek channels, specifically Mega Cosmos in my opinion, especially since it is not yet available nationwide on other services.

Interesting. When you click on each link on that site, it takes you to a dedicated site. Although Greek isn't listed, if you sub out for example "Korean" for "Greek" in the URL, they have a dedicated Greek site. If you do the same for Polish, no page loads.

Don't go by the old pages in their website. Here is the polish package one, even though we know it has been cancelled. The content has simply not been removed yet.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/inte...national/polish

Don't go by the old pages in their website. Here is the polish package one, even though we know it has been cancelled. The content has simply not been removed yet.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/inte...national/polish

Yeah but that is from the old version of their website that is still up. Here is the old version of the Greek package site too: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/inte...rnational/greek

The other URL/site in the other post, seems to be from the new version of their 2010 site. (that isn't linked to the main DirecTV site yet??)

The Greek channels on Directv are not moving any time soon they have contract  till 2015.

DKSat

Well that is great news, and hopefully in the mean time the Greek channels will continue to expand through other platforms too.

2015 seems like a long time though. Did they recently re-sign or was that the deal from the beginning? Interesting developments nevertheless. Hopefully DirecTV does not end up "burning them" like in the past.

The Greek channels on Directv are not moving any time soon they have contract  till 2015.

DKSat

Interesting,

So why then has the Greek package been removed from the DirecTV International website?! The site has a copyright date of 2010 which means it current and up to date.

Just because they have a contract until 2015 does not mean there is no clause in there allowing DirecTV to break the deal. I am pretty sure there is something in the deal regarding subscriptions meaning if they are not making a certain amount of money off these channels they can break the deal and drop the channels. You said yourself that subscription rates are dropping so why would DirecTV continue to keep channels that are not doing well and where subs are not growing?! I don't know just me thinking aloud here, I guess we will shall see what is what down the road.

Interesting. When you click on each link on that site, it takes you to a dedicated site. Although Greek isn't listed, if you sub out for example "Korean" for "Greek" in the URL, they have a dedicated Greek site.

This page is old, check the date at the bottom it says '2009'. Also, the GMTV logo is old, if you check the main DirecTV website, you will see that they have updated the logo for this channel.

Interesting. When you click on each link on that site, it takes you to a dedicated site. Although Greek isn't listed, if you sub out for example "Korean" for "Greek" in the URL, they have a dedicated Greek site.

This page is old, check the date at the bottom it says '2009'. Also, the GMTV logo is old, if you check the main DirecTV website, you will see that they have updated the logo for this channel.

All of the dedicated sub-pages have 2009 on them. Click on Korean, Brazilian, etc.

As for GMTV, the logo on the main site was the old one for the longest time. And as pointed out, the other sub pages were created last year. They just haven't updated it most likely yet. It's also worth pointing out (as mentioned in the other thread) that GMTV are re-doing their programming, and all over their new site, they make it a point that it is "exclusive on DirecTV".

• 4 months later...

Not sure if this means anything but I recently noticed that the dedicated site that DirecTV had for the Greek package (http://greek.directvinternational.com/gr/), no longer exists!

When you click on the above link it now redirects you to the main page (www.directvinternational.com), which still does not list the Greek package. I wonder if this means the ends is near for Greek TV on DirecTV?!

I don't think that site is the official DirecTV website as Greek is still listed here

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/inte...rnational/greek

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/pack...ooternavtype=-1

Its a separate website that DirecTV has setup specifically for its international programming so I would say its legit. All the packages they currently offered are listed on that site except for Greek- coincidence?!

I think once their current contract is done, DirecTV will dump the Greek package, they don't seem to be as interested in (or committed to) this type of programming as Dish Network is- they are the the leader by far for international channels.

Archived