Phantis Forums

Dreaming of Going Home--PAO's stadium in Votanikos

athinaios

We've been writing about this since 2005-6 here... Back then, we hoped that 2008 we would have been able to celebrate our 100 years in our new home...

PS>To be fair, there are other difficulties that we don't seem to take into consideration: demolish the existing structures, remove the rubble, chase the birds away, do an "agiasmo", fight in court with the "erasitechni", do another study, find a builder, fire the builder after consulting with Calatrava, dig for oil (with those prices today, it's worth the try!), escavate for antiquities, renovate Leoforos (just to be on the safe side), fight in court with the brothers, work breaks (268 days/year for strikes, holidays, weather, etc), do an exorcism, stack the bricks neatly, bring in marketing consultants and ticket agents, fire the builder (wait, he's been fired already), hire a new builder, Calatrava's roof design needs more study and special permits, have a contest to name the new stadium, start a fight with the organized fans.................I'm exhausted already

It's 2010 and today I read this: New Obstacles to building the stadium. So, PAO new home hasn't even started yet!

So, I resolve not to visit Greece until PAO's new home is ready!

I think our team would greatly benefit from having a proper football stadium. It can translate into several points a year. Of course it'd be best for the fans too.

Seriously, can anyone here tell us what the hell is going on in Greece for those of us who live abroad? :unsure:

Great! Panathinaikos amateur leaders with @#$#^ for head.

I gather it's a ploy to gain some bribes from PAE. What the heck would they do with double the size of their facilities? What would they do with a swimming pool in Leoforos? Their projects are not financially viable and they know it. If it weren't for PAE paying a portion of their proceeds they would have closed shop long ago. The "erasitexnis" only exists through handouts from the government and most importantly from PAE.

Idiots.

Athinaie, don't sacrifice yourself for the sake of these idiots. Your absense from Greece will not achieve anything. It's only football and life is too short to miss out on any Aegian swimming. Go to the Acropolis and the Natinoal museums and you will see that there have been Greeks with a lot more integrity and higher standards. It's inspiring.

Thanks, Cyber. You're right. I just got so upset when I read the latest news about the stadium... :angry: If that's how they do "business" in Greece, what the heck?...

Several years ago, I started planning to visit (haven't done it yet) and I said to myself how nice it would be to pass by Leoforos pay my respects and go to the new home and marvel at it. Buy the usual stuff too....

Of course, Greece has lots of natural beauties and I want to experience them again. I don't know, in my mind I had connected them with the new PAO home. This summer I probably have to work, but by next I'm going there regardless.

• 4 weeks later...

Why leave Leoforos anyways... Its the best stadium experience, ever. Historical ground, very rustic, great location, badass barbed wire, and a great view from the sides. Makes opposition feel cramped and surrounded..

For sure we would have beaten Kavala in this stadium.

I've never been a fan of soccer stadiums with the giant running track. Not only is it a disadvantage for the "12th man", but it's aesthetically unpleasant. Not that it matters because of the distance, but your fans don't even sit in the front rows because of the poor view.

I like to see fans in the front row screaming all sorts of profanities till there heads turn blue, at the visiting players during throw-ins and corner kicks. :LOL:

The space between the goal and the fans in Gate 13 is outrageously distant from the field. Imagine if the hell you create back there was right on top of the field, much more intimidating!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, good news today! They're talking about progress in the pre-building stage...

Except, that there's another snag. Not everything is in order, and many interested parties can't agree on what to build in Votanikos!!! :angry:

So they announced something today (can't figure out what they're saying exactly] but...

Yep, I remember it. Personally I've given up on the idea of it happening any time soon and even if it did they'd mess it up somehow. The design of the stadium looks rubbish for instance. The fans are still pretty far away from the pitch and it's shaped like the Emirates which allows sound to escape, hence the acoustics will be crap which will work against us, etc. I just no confidence in them whatsoever

I LOVE Leoforos <3

So many memories for myself and many close friends.

Swimming team, Gate 13, Greece-Russia 1-0, PAO Barca 1-0, PAO Arsenal 1-0, plus too many more to mention.

Walking home after a win with PAO scarfs and cars beeping at us yelling, trifillara OLE!

I still walk by, every day, now that I am temporarily in Athens.

That historic stadium is old, rustic, beautiful, and decadent, like New York used to be before Giuliani.

It has outgrown PAO needs, and is too small, and outdated, even for domestic games.

However I disagree about demolishing it.

That is the agreement under the most recent plan.

It is true, Athens is in great need of green zones.

Greece is in great need of sports academies, and that is what Leoforos should remain.

Basketball, volleyball, boxing, weight lifting, wrestling, SWIMMING teams and academies are currently operating under the stands.

I can see the football field and it is in top shape.

They should leave it alone, and turn it into a sports park.

Allow football games for the public, and have football classes.

It would be the only one of it's kind in central Athens.

A park would be wasted space, as it is too close to "Pedion tou Areos"

Has anyone had the chance to walk through the OAKA grounds during a non game day?

It is a huge area that is completely wasted. Instead of people jogging, roller skating, walking, there is no one there.

The tennis courts are the only "active" area.

The swimming pool is too expensive, a hassle to become a member and opening hours are restrictive.

Greeks are probably the least active people in Europe. It is a miracle to me that we do so well in sports. Most athletes are from the countryside.

My point is, Athens needs a place for people to do sports.

More so, than a green zone.

By the way, Eleonas/Votanikos is a terrible place for the PAO Arena.

It was politically motivated, cheap, and easy, compared to the alternative options.

Still not a single brick has been laid.

Not to mention that Babis Vovos, the Northern suburb real estate mogul, has put his big ugly nose deep into this project, with his shopping center at the PAO Arena.

This is creating a lot of additional delays.

He is NOT our friend!

Call me romantic, old fashioned or hippie.

Shopping centers, VIP boxes, and restaurants do not belong in, or around, a football arena.

Even from a safety perspective, there is more for the "animals" to break.

Unless they aspire to eliminate fan violence by the time our new arena is built. <_<

PEACE

• 7 months later...

Looking at my last post over half a year ago...

These days I'm reading that there's another delay. :angry:

Unfortunately, the articles aren't clear as to what exactly happened.

The great pyramids took less time to built than this stadium....

I was a young boy when it was first discussed leaving Leoforos and building a brand new home.... never, ever, I could imagine that over 25 years later PAO would not have a proper

Archived