Phantis Forums

ARIS - Panathinaikos Sun. 24th at 4:45 PM

cyberfish

+7 feels good and it's good to be happy, but the competition is not over yet. Just a few years ago we were in the driver's seat and we managed to choke in the last few games (@ Xanthi and Ofi) and managed to lose the title to AEK who eventually lost it in the papers.

+7 can easily increase, but it can just as easily be diminished since we have games @Aris this weekend, then AEK who everyone seems to underestimate but comes out swinging in big games (that's two back to back tough games that we must take) and later one we play at PAOK and against Olympiakos.

A win at Aris would be huge and would send the message that this title cannot be lost. A tie would give hope and a reason to continue fighting for Olympiakos who have a much easier schedule and a coaching change that could be beneficial for them.

Cisse, Leto, Katsouranis will be rested and back in the lineup, and I was happy to see Karagouni in such a good shape against Panthrakikos (playing in a "deep" midfielder role). Gilberto has been playing at a very high level for a while and Vintra has been on fire as well. Ninis wasn't as bad as some in the forum made it sound in the game against Pantrax but he will probably sit this one out for a timely substitution in the second half. X'poulos could help too.

I am not sure if Simao would be back, but he could be immensely helpful in this game, especially if we are called to defend a narrow lead late in the game. Mozambique plays Nigeria on the 20th and if they don't win they will be eliminated and Simao could be included in the squad that travels to Thessaloniki.

The key would be to win and maintain possession in midfield. Aris has been playing very well lately and their ball movement around the opposing box is superb. Gilberto-Katsouranis would be extra busy and Leto/Salpi would need to keep their fullbacks busy and contained since they are a big part of Aris' development.

Aris tends to push numbers forward and play with their defense high so Cisse should find space to work some magic.

The media has been working on the "poor Aris has won zero penalties" angle so I hope the ref does not bow to pressure to "correct past wrongs".

I would field

----------------Tzorvas---------------

Vintra---Sariegi--Kante--Spyropoulos

-------Katsouranis----Gilberto------

Salpigidis-----Karagounis-------Leto

----------------Cisse-------------------

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a tough one. A tie is very possible. I'm saying this because our defense isn't what it should be. Otherwise, I'd say we'd sqeek by.

I do hope PAO isn't cocky at this point. They have NO right to be. They've chocked TOO MANY TIMES in the past.

Besides, we have PAOK, Larissa, AEK, OLY, Atromitos, Panionios still to play... a much harder schedule than the fish.

aris is tough..they have been on fire...i dont now why im feeling so pessismistic about the +7..it will be more difficult to get the win from aris then we think...they have been looking great...our main concern will be holding the midfield and not allowng them to catch us on counters...we need to play a relaxed passing game and open their defense to let cisse run through the wholes..

I don't know why I am not too nervous about this one. Maybe it's that Cisse has a knack of getting a lot of separation from Greek defenders, and maybe it's because Tzorvas is on his way to break the record of shots to his posts :LOL: I don't keep track but it seems like opponents find our woodwork once or twice just about every game. I think it's destiny. We are going to win and we'll drive everyone crazy.

I hope Aris opens up. Our guys will find ways to score, but it's our defense (I won't repeat what I said earlier).

I'm getting more optimistic about this game. This year we have something we didn't have in the past several years, so I'm hopeful.

Hoping for a good stream.. ;)

when im not in greece i use either myp2p.eu or rojadirecta.com

i usually have a good internet connection so my streams are usually hi-quality..i hook up my monitor to my tv screen and the quality and streaming is usually good...the nice part of these sites is they usually post several streams of the game so if one isnt working well, i just go to the other...

apparently ninis is injured but will prob still be able to make then bench and leto is not 100% either...reports say xristodoulopoulos will start on the left..if he doesnt kick up his game for this one we will seriously be lacking in creativity...

prob will be tzorva, spyro, vyntra, sarriegi, kante, katsouranis, gilberto, karagouns, salpi, xristo and cisse..

Cooper gave an intersting interview about the game http://www.sentragoal.gr/article.asp?catid...2&pubid=6994290

He said that they need to watch Cisse because "he is called offside 5-6 times per game but he fininshes every match with 1-2 goals"

I am glad we finally have some players that opposing coaches have to game-plan around. Cisse has gotten the reputation that he is a "killer" and this puts huge pressure on defenders who feel like they have to play a perfect game against him.

Cooper also verified what no one talks about (yet): that we are playing a "counter-attacking" game for the most part.

Today's reports indicate that Ninis might sit this one out. He had a slight bicep pull from which he recovered but he is not fighting a stomach virus.

Leto has missed some training with bruised ribs so the reporters are talking about Christodoulopoulos starting. Personally I don't understand the logic. If Leto could play for a period of time, and if he is the better player, why not just start the guy and sub him at half time. I don't see how starting the lesser player could be an advantage. But that's why I am not the coach :)

My preference is Leto. But, there's a logic to start Xpoulo. He can tire his opponent so Leto can come in a make the difference. :P

I agree with the observation about Cisse.... one that the whole team should create about themselves. That PAO is a "killer" and relentless. It is an advantage to be perceived as a team that not only has talent (and expensive players) but also knows how to get the result it wants. :tup: I think we start to develop that.

I'm not trying to be too optimistic but I do believe this season we have something extra we didn't have before.... and that's being able to get results.

The only exception was the Karaiskaki game that we had given up before it even started. TKate set up the team inappropriately.

cyber, not starting leto from the begnning could be a good idea..it has worked acouple times already for nioplias..we play a controlled game then stick leto in when their defenders are beginning to tire..his speed and technical ability at that point will burn his defenders...

the only issue is that w/o nini and/or leto in the starting 11 we will lack alot in creativity...xristo has the ability to help us in that department but he never seems to know when to release the ball and play the killer pass that nini and leto are able to do...i think what nioplias is trying t do is soak in their attacks and close down their midfield game, then use our speed up front to pressure their defense..this is why he is playing katsouranis slightly behind silva...he wants katsou to protect the defense and allow gilberto to mark and distribute the ball up field..i think we will see salpi playing closer to cisse then on the out and out wing...aris will press us hard so i think for the first half or so we wont try to play a close passing game...we will be looking to kara to play salpi, cisse and xrist behind the defense...cisse and salpi's speed can really cause their wing backs alot of trouble, who as we know really enjoy attacking, so they will be able to find the holes in the back...

i think the key to the game is shutting off nafti, he is the engine of the team and begins nearly all of their attacks...

we will have to play a very good game to beat aris, they have a very good team and a great coach in cuper, he will overprepapre his team for the game who will press us like crazy..aris has had great work ethic the past 4 or 5 games...i am pessimistic as i have said before but i hope i am wrong and we pull it off...i think paok will get a result vs oly so this may be a really good chance to go far clear...the +7 means little to me bc our speciality is unforutnately shooting ourselves in the foot...i hope this is the year that we rise to the occasion and show the spirit of true champions...

GOOD that Ninis and Leto are starting; we need these guys against a team like this. Skilled, creative players that can really deliver. Salpi is not that type of player; Aris can stop him because he doesn't have really good control or technical abilities; he's more of an "impact" player. I wonder if Cleyton will play up front w/ Cisse, Kara and Kats behind him and Leto and Ninis on the sides.

Cleyton? Are you watching any of the games Clover? I am curious.

Salpi's tenacity and overall work rate would be more service than Cleyton in this game. Besides, with Salpi on the wing we got our RB some good support while we can still count on him to create something down the line, to lead a quick counter attack and even to become the second striker.

With Ninis as a RM we improve ball control but we also leave poor Vintra all alone with Aris' pluralistic attack game from the wings. Ninis is not as strong defending in midfield and I've seen LBs and midfielders blow by him like he is not even there (when he doesn't bounce off them).

I would not mind Ninis as an AM (the radio said that's where he was tried in training today), but leaving out Karagouni from a game like this would be a huge mistake. No matter what, Karagounis has a knack of coming through in tough games, he had an excellent game last week, and he can keep the team from falling apart more than anyone else on this roster. Leaving Salpi out would be a mistake too.

Salpigidis-Karagounis-Leto behind Cisse would be my choice. Karagounis could play in line with the other two midfielders or in front of them, giving us the flexibility to adjust to the game. Three midfielders in front of our defense when under pressure, and more numbers in midfield when we have the upper hand.

I want the three points though and if we are to do it even with Cleyton then I'd be happy.

Archived