Phantis Forums

Greek Media Group

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever heard of this company?! I was on the MEGA website and I noticed in the MEGA Cosmos section that they are listed as the contact for the USA. I did a search and found their website- www.greekmediagroup.us.

Apparently they distribute and market the following channels in the U.S. and Canada:

MEGA Cosmos

Alter Globe

GMTV

STAR International

Pretty good site, they have promotional videos for each channel, it looks like its geared more towards distributors (cable/satellite) rather then the general public. I noticed it says that STAR International is 'exclusive' to RCN Cable, does that mean no one else wanted to pick it up or that RCN made them sign an exclusive deal?! Looks like Ilyda (who have the rights to Alter Globe & GMTV) have combined forces with this company to help get their channels distributed in North America. It would be good if ERT World was part of this as well, then maybe they could get it on cable for those who don't have satellite. Also, I noticed that Alpha Sat is not part of this group, I wonder if earlier rumours about this channel shutting down might be true?!

Interesting,

Thanks for the info DKSat.

I came across some more info, Antenna has signed a deal with International Media Distribution, a company owned by Comcast, to market & distribute ANT1 Satellite. They distribute many different ethnic channels, I guess that would explain all the different launches on various cable providers for ANT1 Satellite.

It looks like Alpha Sat & ERT World are the two that are going in alone and distribute their channel themselves. ERT is currently a mess from what I have read, various scandals and such (not exactly clear on the specifics though?!). The new government is apparently looking to make major changes at the public broadcaster. Hopefully they will also make some changes with ERT World, specifically I would like to see them implement the much talked about, much needed localized schedules.

Interesting find. I think the "Exclusively" is written that way to deflect the fact that it is not available on more than one platform currently. GMTV is also "Exclusively" available on DirecTV according to their site.

Either way, hopefully this new group will try to get the channels on as many platforms as possible. DKSat had mentioned that Comcast will be adding more Greek channels this year. Hopefully these are a part of it, and we will finally have Ant1 on the same platform as the rest of the channels. (with the exception of ERT sadly)

Speaking of GMTV, I noticed that they started airing commercials too now. (Like Greek restaurants for example) They are also advertising their twitter account: http://twitter.com/gmtvus

• 3 weeks later...

GMTV has a new website, for those interested in this channel: GMTV

Interesting site, it looks like they are finally re-doing the programing on the channel. :tup: I'll have to catch it one day to see if there is a difference. Before it was just a continuous loop of music videos. I notice their site says they now have a program called "Mtv Greece". Could this be from MTV Greece? Or just a naming coincidence?

Hmm, looking at their site, it seems it is in fact programing from MTV Greece. Unless they are playing around with words.... I'll have to tune in to confirm this.

"MTV GREECE PART I 4 pm - 10 pm

Your daily dose of the best of what is happening in Greece right here, right now- the best VJs , the hottest dance tracks , coolest video clips and including gossip , astrology and talk shows. MTV is the top of the heap when it comes to the coolest sounds and MTV GREECE is the best of the best and it's Greek to boot!"

The rest of their programming is under the "shows" tab.

I also notice on Greek Media Group's site, they have some viewing statistics under "The US Market". I am wondering where/how they got these statistics....

It is also worth noting that these "statistics" strangely do not include ERT, and are also from July/August 2009 -- A time when the Greek channels are filled with re-runs, and people are traditionally on vacation....

Unfortunately, it is a small image:

Posted Image

• 8 months later...

Alpha Sat has now hooked up with Greek Media Group as well.  (http://www.greekmediagroup.us/GMG/ALPHASAT.html)

ERT World is now the only Greek channel that is not involved with any group- ANT1 has partnered up with International Media Distribution.

Hmm I thought Alpha Sat had a direct deal with DirecTV valid for a few more years? Maybe they joined Greek Media Group in order to attempt to launch on Cable? Interesting that ANT1 has joined a group too....

• 1 month later...

Checking out the Greek Media Group website recently I noticed that they still list Star International as being available on RCN Cable, I thought they dropped the channel?! More than likely the page hasn't been updated- how hard is it to update a website?! Alter Globe page is also incorrect, its not on RCN either.

I don't understand why they bother putting up a website when they don't keep the information current and up to date?! ;)

• 2 months later...

It appears as though ERT World has signed up with GMG as well. They have put up a page on their website now for ERT World.

I am assuming this is just for marketing & distribution purposes as PCCW Global is the one that has the worldwide rights for ERT World- of course with ERT things seem to change frequently so who knows what is going on?!

Interesting to see if this company can finally get ERT World distributed on cable & IPTV in the US.

It appears that ERT World is not on their site anymore, the link says "Not found". Maybe Greek Media Group jumped the gun? If in fact they do line up with them, then this is indeed a huge development. It gives me hope that we will see the channels on a single platform. Now as for them managing anything, I am not sure. Don't forget that they had Alpha Sat listed on their site, even though they didn't have distribution rights. From what DKSat said, they only had it on their site since it was available on the same platform as their other channels.

• 1 month later...

Yep, I posted this in the ERT World thread. I wonder what is going on with RCN. Greek media group claims all these channels are on RCN, yet RCN only lists Mega and Ant1.

It has been confirmed in another thread by an RCN subscriber that they have indeed dropped Star International & Alter Globe from their lineup. The GMG website is outdated and for some reason they do not appear interested in updating it so people have current info on their channels?!

It has been confirmed in another thread by an RCN subscriber that they have indeed dropped Star International & Alter Globe from their lineup. The GMG website is outdated and for some reason they do not appear interested in updating it so people have current info on their channels?!

They are probably too embarrassed to update their site and show that they are failing with distributing their channels. :LOL:

As for ERT World, I am guessing this is a new deal with RCN to be announced, and Greek media group has let the cat out of the bag?

The RCN logo is now gone on that page, being replaced with a Dish Network logo instead.

Looks like these guys haven't got a clue- well at least this time the page is still up and hasn't been taken down again?! ;)

They are probably too embarrassed to update their site and show that they are failing with distributing their channels. hysterical.gif

Do they actually think they are going to be able to distribute these 2nd rate, niche channels that they have the rights to?! The only reason they are still in existence is because they have the rights to distribute MEGA, the most popular network in Greece. If they didn't have the rights to that channel I think they probably would have gone out of business a long time ago.

The RCN logo is now gone on that page, being replaced with a Dish Network logo instead.

What is also disappeared from their site (www.greekmediagroup.us/GMG/contact.html) is Dumas (!!!) who was supposed to lead the company... Does anyone know what is going on? Who is in charge now?

As for DirecTV shutting down greek channels: check my November post http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?...50entry209321

Archived