Phantis Forums

Henk Ten Kate fired

GreenTitus

Panathinaikos announced the end of their cooperation with Henk Ten Kate. Nikos Nioplias and 'Xristos' Warzycha will manage the team from now on. Quite an unexpected decision on the part of the management. I won't comment any further for the time being, please share your views guys. Here's a link.

I'm not his biggest fan, but what the hell are they thinking, firing him NOW???

I'd agree f they want to fire him in the end of the season, there would be reasons to. But now? In the middle of the season??? What exactly is going to be accomplished??? He wasn't even doing that bad domestically. The team is actually attacking and scoring. The defense was his fault, but it won't be any better with a new coach with the same players, so why go risk changing the coach --- and for Nioplias none the less...

WTF?!?

Worst possible time to fire a coach. Worst possible time to bring in an inexperienced coach.

For F***'s sake were only 1 point off the top. Loss to Galatasaray face it meant nothing, and one game with Tripoli and OSFP was bad, but not justifiable enough to do this, not now.

Vazexa is a great player. But what coaching experience does he offer us? Because he used to be a good finisher he's now a good coach? What kind of stupid logic is that? Look at Maradona and his 6-0 loss to Bolivia....

Nioplias was doing a good job with the u-21 NT. I accept that. But giving him PAO amidst the middle of the season for no real reason?

What kind of dumb planning is this. We're giving up on the title after losing one derby..Seriously. Is Nioplias going to be the 'superstar' coach to deliver PAO back to championships?

Well tbh even with you being one point behind OSFP atm I honnestly thought PAO would be title holders at the end of the season.

With this completely absurd and stupid decission I think it'll be second or third place for you guys ... again.

Your president just screwed over his club by getting rid of a good coach!

I am optimistic about this change..Nioplias and Warzycha know their football and are well respected in the team..I think that this could be a great boost to the team, and perhaps we can see Clayton once more on the field..

Good luck for the new coach(es)!!

What on earth do you want Clayton back on the field for...Despite losing the derby I got the feeling all season long we'd end up with the title this year...

To be honest the timing was bad, but it could be worse (after the break)

At least, Nioplias can get some experience on some easy games and take team into break.

I don't like the move and I was afraid this was going to happen after the bad streak we had in November. Now I hope the players don't get distracted with all the commotion. I know many fans kept talking about firing Ten Cate but how many really thought Nioblias and Warzycha would be a good substitute? The only thing they bring to the table is the potential to get some excitement going in the squad that was looking uninspired.

It's bad timing that we have everything on the line and we risk the change becoming a hindering. It's also a good timing because now we have a few easy games ahead where the new coaching staff can get their morale boosted.

I also don't like the two-coach approach and especially don't like Warzycha being assistant. I am just not a big fan of committee coaching and I fear that both men have equal weight in terms of personallity even if Nioblias has more experience and is named the first coach. It's all nice and good when the wins pile up but in losses the finger pointing and innuendos come up. I hope the two can work well together.

but on the other hand I want Panathinaikos to do well and jumping on the blaming game would be the worst possible thing right now. Best thing to do is support the new coaches and hope for the best. I was a huge fan of hiring Kyrastas back when the entire fan and reporter base wanted a "big" name coach. I hope the duo of PAO giants (well, one real giant and one nice guy) take Panathinaikos to the next level.

Ten Cate built some a good foundation and deserved better so I wish him luck. I am sure the club higher-ups will get their way more with the new coaches than they did with him.

I am optimistic about this change..Nioplias and Warzycha know their football and are well respected in the team..I think that this could be a great boost to the team, and perhaps we can see Clayton once more on the field..

Good luck for the new coach(es)!!

Me too! YAAAAAAAAAY!! :tup:

I think it will depend on how the team will respond. It's that simple.

I don't think TKate was a genious of a coach, and I don't like the timing but, as I said a few days ago, he was not the coach to make PAO a great team.

It's interesting that they didn't wait until the break to fire him.... hmmm

Again, if the team responds well, then maybe it's a good move. Can Warzycha motivate the troops and Nioplas set a good team on the pitch? We'll see.

Having a duo as a coach means the owners see this as temporary solultion.

Actually I'd support staying domestic for a coach instead of trying all those crappy ones from abroad. The domestic championship is the top aim this season, and you need someone who knows Greece.

Good luck to all of us.

den to pistevw avto re manges!!!!!!

why!!!!! yiati!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yiati twra!!! sas rotisw????

i cant say anything, thanks to this move we will loose the title again to the *frienly rivals* across the city..

I actually had hopes for this season......

in some sick way, I guess they "brought back WARZYCHA"

theres two issues here i think

a - the timing really sucks, it reeks of unprofessionalism and of a club with no sense of direction. far too short sighted.

b - why was pateras allowed to make such a decision on his own as he publicly stated. i thought the whole point of a board and shareholders etc etc is that one persion doesnt make such a decision bc he woke up in the morning and decided he didnt like henk anymore.

the other point is i wonder if there is something been hidden that forced this decision - who knows

anyways

i dont think the league is lost yet theres still another round to go

interesting to see if and how the issue of defence will be addressed now. will nioblias look to reinforce or ignore greeces worst kept secret

moving forward would be getting rid of antoniou first and foremost...i cant believe that moron was still there at the presentation of nioplias/warzycha to the players. Has he no shame, he is as much to blame for the teams supposed poor performance under ten cate......and his other claim to fame the waste of 2million euros on melissis!

apparently Giannakopoulos was not too happy how that decision was made...Can't say I blame him......

Pateras didn't even consult his stakeholders? I think its safe to say, the pressure is mounting on Pateras even more now, for making this stupid decision. If PAO dont end the season well, the guy should and will be fired I think.

As for the coaching/team, its likely going to be a lot different. Interesting for the foreign players, the team language will now become Greek. Not sure if Nioplias/Vazexa can speak English .

Also this is Nioplias' first professional team. Vazexa has never coached before. I"m not sure if theyre co-managers or if they are assistant etc....

Hopefully they aim to strengthen that defensive hole, finally which HTC has really not done a good job with.

P@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ [edited by Mod] WARNING!

All in all Henk was a good manager despite his faults. He had some sort of plan.

Results were not bad, the team was extremely fit.

Plus he's highly regarded in Europe

Now back to zero again.

Damn

Really hope we dont witness the return of palta which Henk had the good sense to kick out (Dimoutso, Cleyton, Matzios Tziolis etc)

Look, if Pateras' move turns the team around for the better, we'll be happy. Frankly, I didn't like the timing, but honestly I do not think the team will play worse now. I'm not happy how we've been playing and TKate's selections. So, are we going to turn for the worse? That's the key question.

Yes, I agree with those who said this is the best and most expensive roster PAO has had in years and is not producing what it should. Sometime ago, I lost confidence in TKate to bring PAO to a higher level than what I've seen so far.

As for Nioplias & Warzycha? Well, true, they don't have the experience of Schum, Malezani, Pezeiro, that Swede, etc....

Ah, I remember the ramblings when Kyrastas was named PAO coach... :whistle:

Archived