Phantis Forums

FIBA WORLD BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS 2010

With all this talk about the World Cup draw on December 4, there has been no talk about the FIBA World Basketball Championship Draw to be taking place on December 15 in Constantinople, Turkey. Recall back in 2006 when Greece was tops in its division, which was the toughest one of all, and beat the USA in the semi, which was, undoubtedly, the greatest Greek basketball victory ever. Greece will enter Turkey as a silver medalist of 2006 and bronze medalist of Eurobakset 2009. Four spots are still open below:

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The draw took place in Turkey for the FIBA WC 2010.

Here are the pots:

Pot 1: USA (2006 bronze medalist), Argentina (2006 semifinalist), Spain (2006 gold medalist), Greece (2006 silver medalist)

Pot 2: Serbia, Slovenia, France, Turkey (host nation)

Pot 3: Brazil, Puerto Rico, Canada, Australia

Pot 4: Croatia, Russia, Lithuania, Germany

Pot 5: New Zealand, China, Iran, Angola

Pot 6: Jordan, Lebanon, Tunisia, Cote d'Ivoire

The draw:

Group A: Argentina, Serbia, Australia, Germany, Angola, Jordan

Group B: USA, Slovenia, Brazil, Croatia, Iran,Tunisia

Group C: Greece, Turkey, Puerto Rico, Russia, China, Cote d'Ivoire

Group D: Spain, France, Canada, Lithuania, New Zealand, Lebanon

Looks like Greece got the toughest draw of the Pot 1 teams. I do expect Greece to make, at least, the semifinal.

• 8 months later...

Cirque du Soleil, Alessandro Safina, Haris Alexiou and Fatih Erkoc, Muslum Gurses from Turkey will participate in Opening ceremony also Dance of Sultans will perform with dance shows...

Turkish Basketball Federation major told that this opening programme will bring higher standart for next organisations...

After Grecee maybe in Turkey Haris Alexiou has biggest funs. Only to liten her i could join this ceremony...

we played puerto rico today and won 83-80...spanoulis led the team with 28 points..bourousis had 9 rb and diamantidis had 7 assists...

im surprised no one has been talking about this...

i have watched the games and to be honest, we will have to pick up our game alot to beat turkey...we didnt look great in either this game or the china game..spurts but nothing consistant...

We look shaky at best so far but i am hoping now with the returns of Sxortsianitis and Fotsis to start playing to our normal high standards.With China the game it was close but with Puerto Rico we almost lost and we need to get serious quick if we want a medal in this World Championship.

This game is very important for both teams. Whoever finishes in first place, which can also be Russia as well, can avoid playing USA/Spain up until the medal round. Whoever finishes in second place will, for sure, play against USA in quarterfinals. Whoever finishes in third place has a legitimate shot playing against Spain in the second round.

The president of the Basketball Federation of Puerto Rico wants an investigation done on referee Carl Jungerbrand of Finland who also refereed the Russia-Puerto Rico match

Coach comments (contra.gr):

IM not too pleased with what ive seen pre tournament we looked unstoppable and when the big dance started we bare ly won against china!!!!! and almost got upset by rico a team that is favored 9 t1 to medal only us and spain have better odds it is unexceptable.

I dont beleive we will beat turkey we might have a better club but were not playin like we are a contender and turks home crowd will make the difference, and sad to see there not alot of greeks that made the trip to turkey to support us hats off too those that made it theyve made some noise

i will make the effort to watch this one on line or at least follow on the radio, no one in my xwra is screening the fiba wc,

i agree with the above, from what i have read/seen, the thniki hasnt been playing their best, however, i think the match vs turkey is different, it is a "derby" and in a sense a must win to avoid "harder" teams in the later rounds,

Im reading every were lets throw the match 2morrow so we can lithuania or serbia some say win and we face spain then usa i say how cares we not scared of no one to be the best u have to beat the best who ever it is thats who we play strategies to avoid teams is nonsense greece can beat any one on any given day if they play the way i know.

But this year i have to say greece coach is a complete douchbag f up our nt

Were not ranked 3rd in the world for nothing

Its embarassin how greece just threw this match a country they beat about 3 weeks ago in the kypro tourny by 38!!!!! i guess its smart to avoid spain who looks to awaken or they were playin possum and then avoid us.

I beleive we will play france next to take the easier road to the finals sad really that greece would do that if in reali ty we should win easy v france but this years nt looks bad.........

Archived