Phantis Forums

Wanted Comcast update

More Greek channels will be going on Comcast on fist quarter of the year.

For now check out the ling.

www.comcast.com/Corporate/Programming/IntlNetworks/greek.html

DKSat

That is GREAT news. Hopefully they will add it nationwide.

If I am not mistaken, it is only available in San Francisco right now? I know it is not available in my area yet. When I called, they told me that the best I can do to get the channel eventually is put in a request..... :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently, Comcast is adding Antenna One in its international line-up

Philadelphia Inquirer: Comcast is expanding its ethnic programming

Comcast Corp. is targeting Spanish speakers and immigrants with about 140 new ethnic TV channels, a major move into that market for the cable giant.

The company says it wants to compete with satellite providers DirecTV and Dish Network for ethnic viewers looking for programming in their native languages or from their home countries.

Read story

Interesting article,

Looks like they are going to try and compete with Dish Network & DirecTV head on, that's going to be tough considering the sat providers sign exclusive deals with alot of the channels they carry.

The name of the channel is Antenna NOT Antenna One. They probably saw the logo and somehow concluded its called Antenna One because of the #1. Its actually ANT + 1 (Ena) which combined becomes Antenna!

What areas with Greek populations does Comcast service?!

Yeah, Comcast is available pretty much all over the US. They are the biggest pay TV provider (passing both Dish and DirecTV) in the US if I am not mistaken.

Interesting article though. It looks like Comcast will roll out Ant1 (and any future Greek channels they plan to add as DKSat mentioned above) nationwide throughout the next year. Right now it is only available in the San Fransisco area.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any new updates? Got an incredible offer to sign up for Comcast in my area so I'm going to just keep the two greek channels and dump everything else. Looking at $90 for HD Dvr, HBO, Starz, another HD receiver, cable internet, and phone service. Price is good for 2 years. Paying a lot more for all 3 services now.

I have been seeing incredible offers on TV too. It seems they just launched their new Xfinity service, and have re branded their triple play packages to that.

On Wikipedia (I know, not the most reliable) it says about the new service: "The company proposes adding more HD channels, foreign language programming, video on demand content (especially with the end of analog cable by 2012), and a push for more programming on their Fancast.com video portal. "

On Comcast's website regarding XFinity, it states:

What makes XFINITY different from the service I currently receive from Comcast?

XFINITY brings you new products and cross-platform services that include:

* 50Mbps downloads today, increasing to 100+ Mbps and even faster in the future

* 100+ HD channels, 5,000+ HD choices, and the best HD picture quality available

* 50 to 70 multi-cultural channels

* Approaching 20,000+ Video On Demand titles

* Fancast XFINITY TV, with 19,000+ movies, top shows, and other content available online, at home or on the go

* New cross-platform and mobile features like: remote DVR, Universal Caller ID, an interactive home telephone, apps for iPhones and the ability to use a remote control to order products and services while watching TV

This launch is the culmination of years of work to transition Comcast's network and products.

• 5 months later...

I think the focus should be on making ANT1 Satellite available in more areas first then look at adding more channels. According to the ANT1 Satellite website, its only available in San Francisco & Sacramento. Comcast is the largest cable company in the US, there has to be other areas they serve that have Greek populations?!

As far as other channels, I see MEGA Cosmos and possibly Alter Globe as the most likely new additions. ERT World is still a no show on cable, wonder what's going on with that channel?!

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have been reading on Comcast, it seems that each area is on it's on system. So there are different channels and features available in different areas/systems. It looks like with Xfinity, they are trying to standardize all the systems. But it will take a while unfortunately. I am hoping it happens sooner rather than later. As for further Greek channels being added, I assume some will be added in 2011. It seems their Xfinity plan is taking longer than planned.

Also regarding ERT, they are mess right now. I read that they are searching for a new president yet again. :box: I have noticed though, that they now list two versions of ERT World on their website: "ERT World Europe" and "ERT World Americas & Australia". Unfortunatly though, the programing still seems to be identical.

http://tvradio.ert.gr/

Posted Image

Posted Image

On an unrelated note, after reading various news stories on planned programing this season, I am wondering what we will be watching.....It seems due to the economic crisis, the majority of scripted shows are out, and reality is in, along with foreign dubbed shows. In some cases, there will even be duplicate knock-offs competing shows against each other. (Like Masterchef-Mega vs Topchef-Ant1) And those foreign dubbed shows (ex. Hiles Kai Mia Nihtes-Ant1, Patty-Mega) will not air here as they don't have international rights. Actually some of the reality shows might not air either due to lack of international rights. Supposedly Alpha did not air the popular "Greek Idol" on Alpha Sat because they didn't have the international rights to do so. <_< We are in for a long season.....Will it even be worth paying for the channels this season? :unsure: Let's hope the situation isn't too bad.

Supposedly Alpha did not air the popular "Greek Idol" on Alpha Sat because they didn't have the international rights to do so. <_< We are in for a long season.....Will it even be worth paying for the channels this season? :unsure: Let's hope the situation isn't too bad.

It was shown here :)

It was shown here :)

That is so strange that it was not shown here then. I had emailed Alpha back then regarding them not showing it, but got no response. So then I emailed a press person from RTL (who owns Alpha). I got a lame excuse from him:

"Thank You for your mail. I will forward this my colleague in Athens, but I think I do know the answer myself: Alpha probably does not have the rights to air “Idol” outside Greece. This is an international show format which is sold by the rights owner under specific, very detailed conditions. Alpha has to respect these conditions.

I am sorry that I can

Archived