Phantis Forums

Ukraine-Greece

Guest geok

I WANT THE BEST TEAMS....FORGET THIS HOPING FOR MINNOWS.....ITS ONLY AGAINST THE BEST THAT YOU SHOULD BE MEASURED.

AND LETS NOT FORGET, WE DID NOT WIN ANYTHING - WE JUST GOING TO THE WC.......NOW OTTO NEEDS TO GET FORM FRESH LEGS IN THE SQUAD WITH LOTS OF FRIENDLIES......WE NEED YOUNG LEGS....WE WERE BEATEN TO THE BALL ALL DAY TODAY, WITH THE EXEPTION OF SAMARA WHO BURST THROUGH SVERAL TIMES, OUR GUYS NEED SOME SPEED AND JUST ONE ONE ONE GUY THAT MAKE A MOVE ON THE OFFENSE....

WE NEED GOOD OFF THE BALL TACTICS, ATTACKING EMPTY SPACES AND SMART DISTRIBUTION FROM THE MIDDLE IN ORDER TO MAKE AN IMPACT IN SA.....MITROGLOU / NINIS / KOUTS / PUT EM IN SEE HWAT THEY CAN DO NOW THAT THE PRESSURE IS OFF....

GUTTU MAN GUTTY WIN.....

WAS KASTOURANI ON THE FIELD TODAY?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I WANT THE BEST TEAMS....FORGET THIS HOPING FOR MINNOWS.....ITS ONLY AGAINST THE BEST THAT YOU SHOULD BE MEASURED.

AND LETS NOT FORGET, WE DID NOT WIN ANYTHING - WE JUST GOING TO THE WC.......NOW OTTO NEEDS TO GET FORM FRESH LEGS IN THE SQUAD WITH LOTS OF FRIENDLIES......WE NEED YOUNG LEGS....WE WERE BEATEN TO THE BALL ALL DAY TODAY, WITH THE EXEPTION OF SAMARA WHO BURST THROUGH SVERAL TIMES, OUR GUYS NEED SOME SPEED AND JUST ONE ONE ONE GUY THAT MAKE A MOVE ON THE OFFENSE....

WE NEED GOOD OFF THE BALL TACTICS, ATTACKING EMPTY SPACES AND SMART DISTRIBUTION FROM THE MIDDLE IN ORDER TO MAKE AN IMPACT IN SA.....MITROGLOU / NINIS / KOUTS / PUT EM IN SEE HWAT THEY CAN DO NOW THAT THE PRESSURE IS OFF....

GUTTU MAN GUTTY WIN.....

WAS KASTOURANI ON THE FIELD TODAY?

He took a yellow

MY reaction on finding out we were in was this:

YES! :tup: :king:

OXI! :( :unsure:

It's not a shock that we are through. Let's be honest with ourselves and acknowledge that our opponent was Ukraine, not Holland or Germany. The Ukes are average...I've been banging on about it for weeks.

What I'm worried about now that we have qualified is that Otto pulls a demented stunt like he did against Sweden at last years Euro in the WC.

I would say that we should fire Otto before the WC, but everyone will clal me crazy now! :P

Anyway we are though. I'm still not an Otto fan. It's been 5 years of frustration with him in charge....the only way he can change my opinion of him is if he guides us to the semi's next year.

Also please note paidia....New Zealand is (and will be) the weakest side in the tournament. Not that I want to draw them, as I am with mangas21 here...we need to draw the best at the WC.

Also Australia is pretty average as well...but the last time we played them before the 2006 WC they beat Hellas in a match that we were simply awful.

Despite stinging media criticism following their lacklustre performance in the first leg where Greece fielded five defenders, he stuck to his guns and again flooded his back line.

"We will play exciting football when we have (Lionel) Messi, Kaka, (Andres) Iniesta and Xavi on the team," Rehhagel said jokingly.

I'll post my thoughts shortly.

Despite stinging media criticism following their lacklustre performance in the first leg where Greece fielded five defenders, he stuck to his guns and again flooded his back line.

"We will play exciting football when we have (Lionel) Messi, Kaka, (Andres) Iniesta and Xavi on the team," Rehhagel said jokingly.

Just proves how stubborn and illogical Otto is.

We don't have Messi and Kaka....we have Ninis and Koutsianikolis who might not be at the megastar level, but are the best Hellene going around and Otto toys with them by selecting them for a squad here and there while maintaining players like Haristeas. :angry:

i felt good about this game after 0-0 in athens...i wrote after it that having our goals count for 2 was ahuge advantage and that the pressure was on Ukraine...and this is the type of game we are good at.....

i think samara makes a huge difference on this team....he is offensive minded and he is not a donkey baller, like deniro....but all teh crafty guinea like passing is useless if the strikers dont attack teh empty zones on teh field...i cant remember katsou or denerio delivering that kind of craftypass in a long time...i thik he took him out to put gekas as the lonepoint guy, and hope to catch the ukraines sleeping - which he almost did....and everybody else was behind the ball.....

these guy are truly the cardiac kids.....they should have won their group outright.....they are going to have to play a whole better when they run into 24 year old legs and higher skill levels....so lomg as the d is solid, then just afew offensive minded additions can make a huge difference......

I have to say this is one of the best days of my 34 years and I remember almost 4 years ago when Uefa.com wrote of that sinking feeling after Greece did not make it to the 2006 World Cup, thanks to Albania, Denmark, and Ukraine. Well revenge is sweet, Turkey, Ukraine, Russia, and Sweden are staying home.

I did predict either a 1-0 win for us a 2-1 loss for us. I see good things happening, we have a young squad and if we finish third in our group or make it to the round of 16 that would be a victory.

Thanks Otto, thanks guys for a great win today. Best birthday gift for me possible, born on Oct 28.

A

We don't have Messi and Kaka....we have Ninis and Koutsianikolis who might not be at the megastar level, but are the best Hellene going around and Otto toys with them by selecting them for a squad here and there while maintaining players like Haristeas. :angry:

Can we just enjoy this for a minute.

The guy has qualified the team for 3 out 4 tournaments. I think that response is quite FUNNY...the man is laughing at these SMUG journalists.....who keep asking this dumb ?

The boys played there A$$' off. Like someone mentioned load up on the friendlies....every youngster who wants to be in SA will raise his game now til the end of the year.

They pulled it off and I believe most of u gave them no chance.

BRAVO STA PAIDIA!!!!!

Can we just enjoy this for a minute.

The guy has qualified the team for 3 out 4 tournaments. I think that response is quite FUNNY...the man is laughing at these SMUG journalists.....who keep asking this dumb ?

The boys played there A$$' off. Like someone mentioned load up on the friendlies....every youngster who wants to be in SA will raise his game now til the end of the year.

They pulled it off and I believe most of u gave them no chance.

BRAVO STA PAIDIA!!!!!

whoops I meant most of US gave them no chance.

When we lost o Australia here in melbourne it was a meaningless friendly. Seeing Australia play against Oman we can handle them if we get them in our group. Good that we won cause now a few aussie commentators are eating humble pie.Bravo to Robbie slater. I agree we off to the BIG Dance lets hope we can perform some what like euro 2004.

When we lost o Australia here in melbourne it was a meaningless friendly. Seeing Australia play against Oman we can handle them if we get them in our group. Good that we won cause now a few aussie commentators are eating humble pie.

Yes it was a friendly but we awful!

There were 100,000 people in the stadium and 55,000 were Greek and the ethniki under Otto served up slop!

Anyway this is in the past...if we draw Australia and we don't walk away with a comfortable win I will be dissapointed.

I hope those commentators who don't respect us eat a giant kourada! Mind you, some commentators were saying before the playoffs that we had a 50-50 chance as anyone who knows anything knows that Ukraine are not Russia (who didn't qualify against Slovenia!).

Anyway like some have said...let's enjoy this for a minute!

:gr:

The key to which helped us win the Euro in 2004 was that the team playing was mostly AEK players so their was somewhat chemistrey and that is what helped us today to win with 6 pao players starting.

Now do you guys really want greece at the world cup we do not have the depht and quality to actually win it unless another miracle is pulled out of our greek asses it will probably end up being like during the euro 2008 our performance.

I hope im wrong but it will be more embarassing than anything else!!!

The goal we scored today was of quality but we dont produce that very often and you need to keep that quality of play for 90 minutes in tournaments and not 90 seconds

Dont forget Tzorvas...

Vyntra, Salpi,. Kara, Kats, SPyro, and Tzorvas all started...

6 out of 11 PAO players..

No wonder we won... :P

Its greece not pao but whatever, You guys do have most of the talented greek players, and about tzorvas he did play better but needs to learn where to block the ball it seems that every time he made a save, a ukrainine player was almost able to capitalize

I have understood something with today's game about the German. As long as he holds the helm you are wasting your time here at phantis forum talking about a different style of play, he will never play any different.

Today I also realized that we have been playing the same football for the last 8 years, since Otto came. In the first 2 years we learned his desired style and we applied it to the qualification and the Euro2004 finals with a spectacular result, because of our fighting spirit and Greek heart. The 2006 World Cup campaign failed because we were arrogant from the beginning and we thought that fame, not effort or spirit, would get us through. For the 2008 campaign leading to Euro2008 we had an easy group and with consistent form and performance and due to our quality over our opponents we qualified best in Europe, but in the finals we lacked the heart, the work ethic and the commitment we demonstrated in the past and we failed catastrophically. The team has been rebuilt with new players and in this campaign we struggled to play football but the good lesson for us was the playoffs.

Especially in the 2nd leg Greece demonstrated that the preparation, work ethic, commitment and organization is the successful recipe that has always been followed and has proved infallible, if applied with all these ingredients, against any opponent in the past. We were always playing the same football but we lacked the consistency in the other elements that I mentioned above so that is why our performance has been ups and downs.

These playoffs reminded us what we are good at and created a lesson and memory for the young players too, they learned the recipe of success of this team, how they can get the desired result under difficult circumstances and all odds against, with almost half the team missing on injuries. I am pleased that the new players can learn and apply this fighting spirit in the pitch that the Euro2004 squad excelled in. With injured players coming back we can be better.

In the world cup, we will not see any different in terms of football. Greece will be packed in the defense with 5-4-1 system most likely against all opponents and will go for two draws and a win which is sufficient for qualification in the next round (just do the maths). Then we go to second round and play the same football like we played today. This is realistic, no-matter the opponents. The football will be "ugly" but you will see the fighting spirit and a epic effort in the pitch. And I prefer that. I love the dogfighting of the small teams that beat the giants, as we did in 2004, that is the football we can play and if it works its fine by me. Truly, this is what I always wanted to see from small teams like ours. Those that think that we can ever play like Brazil or Argentina or Spain are deluded, we can never play like that. I like the way we play and only this way we can achieve results. For those that cannot watch this football please close your TV and don't bother opening it again until Otto has gone. Successes and results live in my memory and make me happy, not good football. We all need to learn and enjoy a good fight and spirit in the field rather than "good football". For me that is good football anyway!

Congratulations to the players and coach, this is an epic success.

Look forward to more similar successes in 2010.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

geok very eloquently said and thanks for taking the time to write it..i agree with most of your points...but i disagree with 1: epic success? epic???

this a QUALIFICATION through a playoff in a weak group against an opponent that has little soccer pedigree and was overhyped....we should not throw around these type of words for something that is to be expected from aGOOD footballing nation...now if u think greece s asmall team, then maybe its epic-like...more epic would be slovenia booting russia out....

maybe we splitting hairs here, but if we want to be considered a good football team theses are games we should win...not taking away anything from the victory itslef, the boyd played hard, passionate ball, and ukraine missed some easy chances....i guess things balance out just like us with moldova

i know now this team is definately prone to lapses and they dont have the throttle down all the time...you cant tell me that if we played this hard against moldova we would not have won 5-0, or even against swiss.....seems like in a do or die siutation they try to rise to teh occassion....sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.....but your was a very good read for sure

but whats the fascination with haristeas??????? i dont get it can SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN...its tactical and i dont see it

Archived