Phantis Forums

Ziko is the new Olympiakos coach

Crazy

My suspicion is that he was picked up after he was fired last week, and Timur was fired once the agreement was set.

Zico is a good coach, I thought Fenerbahce was stupid to release him, he took the team to another level in Europe, and now they suck again. But, Fener fans had their complaints about him apparently.

I beleive Ziko is a good coach with his Football knowledge and he made awesome job with Fenerbahce who played Quarter Final in Champhions League with Chelsea. Also won to Chealsea in Quarterfinal in Istanbul than Chelsea passed Fenerbahce difficultly. But we have to know at this year The footballers such as David De Souza, Alex De Souza, Semih, Roberto Carlos, Gokhan Gonul, Lugano, Ugur Boral were at the top of their performance. this year they made very nice team.

But he was always a cold Brezilian coach for Fenerbahce fans they couldn't like him (actually me too). I also beleive he had authority problem in team. If you ask me do you want to see him as Galatasaray' coach i absolutly anwser 'No'. I beleive good contact with players also to be symphatetic is very important in Turkey. Fenerbahce sent him and they brought another anthipathetic coach Aragones he was much more worse than Ziko. at the end i beleive Ziko is more than average less than good.(But better than Ten Cate :) )

As an extra I red with new coach ''Ramos'' CSK Moscow' football changed possitively...

I think its really pathetic that this problem in Greece persists; you guys are not unique when it comes to managing the team. Unfortunately we have the same problem as do many other Greek teams. The hiring/firing of coaches, the way players are treated has to come to an end if any fan wants to really see success on any level. And we should be seeing similar results in football like we do in basketball. There apparently are a lot of fans who understand what is happening but why aren't THOSE people working at the teams management? It always appears to be people who don't have a clue what it means to run a team properly. When will this come to an end once and for all?

• 3 months later...

According to Kathimerini, Ziko has effectively been stood down and will not take his place on the bench for the next game. If that is true, it will confirm what everyone knows, that Olympiakos and its management are a basket case and bring total shame and rizili to Greece. And just as bad are the so-called sports journalists who have been calling for Ziko to be sacked. They have no f***** idea about the game. I know AEK has been in the doldrums, but for Olympiakos to lose the plot after two losses is simply ridiculous. INterestingly, it also means that Ziko will be the second Brazilian great that Olympiakos have shafted in recent years. Shame on you.

haha...The fans want a head to chop, and they'll get the coach.

They fired Ketsbaia over a draw....

Now Zico has lost 2 games in a row......But he did take OSFP to the next round in CL. Was an easy group, but he still could have failed, right? He also beat PAO, which by that point they were all singing his praises.

The same team, 2 coaches now, and theyre blaming the same inconsistency on each of the manager who are actually quite respectable?

I'll join in on the bashing.

TIRED of this crap. Looking for excuses. What they need to do:

1- Is arrest those idiots that protest (don't they have anything better to do?)

2- Stick with a coach for a freaking whole season

3- Lose the championship.

4- No more player interviews. EVER. They all say the same STUPID things about how they re going to win.

I dont post much but I had to for this topic. Zico should be sacked no doubt about it. Forget the training routines that have led to many injuries for the players lets look at what he did last week.

1. Didnt start Zairi (this is well beyond my comprehension).

2. Keeps on starting that useless Gonzalez. The most useless player I have ever seen.

3. The attacking duo should have been Mitroglou and Derbyshire. Dump that over paid, always on the ground complaining of a foul isiot Diogo!

4. Had Mellberg making runs upo the left flank. What the hell is that?

5. Played Toro in a position that he is good at but excells better in midfield.

6. Chose to sit out Galitsios like we were playing a no name team.

7. Didnt make any real adjustments at halftime. Should of made the changes there he made later in the game.

There you have it. I could of done a better job than him. I may not have won but I wouldnt make those ugly mistakes. Oh let me also remind you that he totally decided to leave stoltidis out of the 18. Hes old I know but we sure could of used his experience.

Anyone still think that this guy is a coach? He was a great player but as a coiach he isnt worth a penny!

Bye bye Zico AND GOOD RIDDENS.

I dont post much but I had to for this topic. Zico should be sacked no doubt about it. Forget the training routines that have led to many injuries for the players lets look at what he did last week.

2. Keeps on starting that useless Gonzalez. The most useless player I have ever seen.

3. The attacking duo should have been Mitroglou and Derbyshire. Dump that over paid, always on the ground complaining of a foul isiot Diogo!

4. Had Mellberg making runs upo the left flank. What the hell is that?

7. Didnt make any real adjustments at halftime. Should of made the changes there he made later in the game.

There you have it. I could of done a better job than him. I may not have won but I wouldnt make those ugly mistakes. Oh let me also remind you that he totally decided to leave stoltidis out of the 18. Hes old I know but we sure could of used his experience.

Anyone still think that this guy is a coach? He was a great player but as a coiach he isnt worth a penny!

You are clueless. Completely and utterly clueless.

I'll answer your points individually.

1. Zairi came off the bench, didn't really change much did it?

2. Leto & Djordjevic left the club and not one left sided player was brought in. That's Kokkalis' fault not Zico's. He hasn't got a squad to work with so of course he'll play Oscar. Don't forget, Oscar was the signing of that overrated darling of 8yra 7 (Valverde)

3. Derbyshire has been injured since the beginning of the season. If he started and got injured again or if he was just plain terrible and you'd lost, you'd have said "how can he start a player that has been injured?".

4. Mellberg has been all over your defensive line the whole season. Know why? Because he's the only real defender you've got. With players like Avraam and Bravo in the team what do you expect?

5. You're going to criticise Zico for play Torosidis in his natural position? :LOL:

6. Since when has Galitsios been a first team player?

7. Let's say, for arguments sake that you're right, is this a sacking offence over 1 game?

No mate, I guarantee you wouldn't have done a better job.

Greek football will never prosper because people in Greece think like you. Isn't funny how every Greek based abroad on these boards thinks that sacking Zico would be ridiculous, but most Greeks in Greece think he should go? (I know you're from the U.S. but I'm speaking generally)

The only 2 teams in recent years that have had stability are PAOK and the Ethniki. Santos has been at PAOK since 2007 and look at the great strides they've made despite having little money to spend and being on the brink of bancrupcy a few years ago. The Ethniki is the most successful Greek team ever. Funny that huh?

PAO, Aris, Iraklis, and Olympiakos have already sacked their managers before Christmas :LOL: and if AEK hadn't had problems in the board Bajevic would have gone too. Olympiakos are about to add another to that list. Compare that to the best league in the world at the moment: the Premiership (where 1 manager has been sacked: Man City's Mark Hughes, and that brought protests by the fans and players!).

Liverpool are on of the most successful clubs ever, do you know how many managers they've sacked in mid-season in their history? 1! And they went on to get relegated that season. Starting to see a pattern here?

Real are also one of the most successful clubs ever, in recent years they've been a joke though. They haven't made it past the last 16 in years. Last year they lost 5-0 on agg. to Liverpool. What have Real been doing in recent years? Sacking managers constantly.

You can have the best players in the world (see Real Madrid's Galacticos team) if you don't have stability you won't do s%$#!. On the other hand, you can have a "good" team (not spectacular, just good) but have stability and you can achieve great things:

Greece 2004

Liverpool 04/05

Porto 03/04

Rangers 07/08 (UEFA Cup final)

Espanyol 06/07 (UEFA Cup final)

Zenit St. Petersberg 07/08 (UEFA Cup winners & European Super Cup Winners '08)

You want me to go on? As long as your mentality is prominent in Greece, our football will never prosper.

I dont post much but I had to for this topic.  Zico should be sacked no doubt about it.  Forget the training routines that have led to many injuries for the players lets look at what he did last week. 

2. Keeps on starting that useless Gonzalez.  The most useless player I have ever seen.

3.  The attacking duo should have been Mitroglou and Derbyshire.  Dump that over paid, always on the ground complaining of a foul isiot Diogo!

4.  Had Mellberg making runs upo the left flank.  What the hell is that?

7. Didnt make any real adjustments at halftime.  Should of made the changes there he made later in the game.

There you have it.  I could of done a better job than him.  I may not have won but I wouldnt make those ugly mistakes.  Oh let me also remind you that he totally decided to leave stoltidis out of the 18.  Hes old I know but we sure could of used his experience.

Anyone still think that this guy is a coach?  He was a great player but as a coiach he isnt worth a penny!

You are clueless. Completely and utterly clueless.

I'll answer your points individually.

1. Zairi came off the bench, didn't really change much did it?

2. Leto & Djordjevic left the club and not one left sided player was brought in. That's Kokkalis' fault not Zico's. He hasn't got a squad to work with so of course he'll play Oscar. Don't forget, Oscar was the signing of that overrated darling of 8yra 7 (Valverde)

3. Derbyshire has been injured since the beginning of the season. If he started and got injured again or if he was just plain terrible and you'd lost, you'd have said "how can he start a player that has been injured?".

4. Mellberg has been all over your defensive line the whole season. Know why? Because he's the only real defender you've got. With players like Avraam and Bravo in the team what do you expect?

5. You're going to criticise Zico for play Torosidis in his natural position? :LOL:

6. Since when has Galitsios been a first team player?

7. Let's say, for arguments sake that you're right, is this a sacking offence over 1 game?

No mate, I guarantee you wouldn't have done a better job.

Greek football will never prosper because people in Greece think like you. Isn't funny how every Greek based abroad on these boards thinks that sacking Zico would be ridiculous, but most Greeks in Greece think he should go? (I know you're from the U.S. but I'm speaking generally)

The only 2 teams in recent years that have had stability are PAOK and the Ethniki. Santos has been at PAOK since 2007 and look at the great strides they've made despite having little money to spend and being on the brink of bancrupcy a few years ago. The Ethniki is the most successful Greek team ever. Funny that huh?

PAO, Aris, Iraklis, and Olympiakos have already sacked their managers before Christmas :LOL: and if AEK hadn't had problems in the board Bajevic would have gone too. Olympiakos are about to add another to that list. Compare that to the best league in the world at the moment: the Premiership (where 1 manager has been sacked: Man City's Mark Hughes, and that brought protests by the fans and players!).

Liverpool are on of the most successful clubs ever, do you know how many managers they've sacked in mid-season in their history? 1! And they went on to get relegated that season. Starting to see a pattern here?

Real are also one of the most successful clubs ever, in recent years they've been a joke though. They haven't made it past the last 16 in years. Last year they lost 5-0 on agg. to Liverpool. What have Real been doing in recent years? Sacking managers constantly.

You can have the best players in the world (see Real Madrid's Galacticos team) if you don't have stability you won't do s%$#!. On the other hand, you can have a "good" team (not spectacular, just good) but have stability and you can achieve great things:

Greece 2004

Liverpool 04/05

Porto 03/04

Rangers 07/08 (UEFA Cup final)

Espanyol 06/07 (UEFA Cup final)

Zenit St. Petersberg 07/08 (UEFA Cup winners & European Super Cup Winners '08)

You want me to go on? As long as your mentality is prominent in Greece, our football will never prosper.

Ok here goes:

You are right I am from the U.S and im happy that you think I have the greek mentality, after all I was born there and lived about 50 percent of my life there.

And as you know some habits are hard to break. Now as far as sacking the coach every little while I agree teams do need stability and what goes on in the old country is sometimes far fetched but not this time. Youre also right about kokkalis not signing a decent player in the left side of the midfield but does that mean you dont field the best team possible?

I see you have no trouble with my statements about Diogo or Gonzalez. Starting especially the second mentioned to me is insane. This is the same guy that the Spaniard brought in and didnt really dare to use him.

Now lets get to the Mellberg thing. He was constantly making runs up the left side and this had to be by design because he has not done that all season. What was Zico thinking? Maybe in Japan where he learned to coach thats how they play.

Toros natural position is in the back but you have seen what he can do in midfield.

Its obvious tha nothing was going on on the right side all game. Granted Galletti had a bad game but no one knows what could have been.

Now lets get to Galitsios. I think hes played well enough where he can take over the right back position and toro can be pushed up. Thats what a coach does my friend. A coach sees what he has to work with and puts the players where they will give him the best results. If you think Galitsios cant handle the starting position I dont know what to tell you.

your argument on Derbyshire is weak. Hes had the time out. Im sure hes been rehabilitated and brought up to speed. Maybe you know the inner workings of the team and I dont. If you have that kind of insider information, ok. If not your point is purely speculative.

Now about the rest of teams that you brought up. It means nothing especialy since only one English team has ever signed a Brazilian coach and if you do your homework you will see they sacked him in midseason too.

Dont get me wrong I understand your point about stability but zico is not the man to do it with. kokkalis had a chance at stability with Lemonis and he screwed him up. Thats the coach as crazy as it may seem to some of you that should of never been sacked.

Now you also made a point about Greek football making progress. you want football in Greece to progress theres a lot that needs to change.

1. Corruption must go

2. A salary cap like the NFL must be put into place.

3. We have to dump all the foreigners and no more that 2 of them on every team, a lot of local talent is going to waste.

4. They have to impose serious penalties on the hooligans that do damage and clean up the stands.

Thats what football needs to go ahead not Zico to stay put at Olympiakos.

Toro had 2 good games at midfield and both of them were at RM... if u put him there, where do u play galetti...?

Oly has no more excuses for being an average team so they find blame in Zico. Sure he has made mistake but come on man..

The big blame belongs to Cocklais for his disgusting, cheap offseason transfers.

Thank the lord we didnt get rid of HTC earlier and he was around to come to Karaiskaki and play with 9DMs..

If we would of won that game we would of been 11 points ahead by now.

I guess the writing was on the wall at the start of the season, important signings werent made and the wrong coach was appointed. the reality is the only time we looked organised as a club is when Ivic, Lemonis and Kokkalis JNR were appoitned, even then i guess there was a vendetta against Lemonis from Ivic.

The club is powerful because of its supporters, the reality is we are impatient cause we have expectations. foreign coaches dont understand this and think its the

italian 4th division that you can lose a few games eeh whatever happens. ie Katanec when he said whats all the fuss about olympiacos winning the league.

im sure that kokkalis cares about the club but has to make sure that although he is a great business man this doesnt make him a great footballing president.

whats the future of this club? what is the plan, where are we heading?

Kokkalis isnt getting any younger, and im sure that is why he has introduced investors to the club. i think we need a Greek coach long term pref former players, and a structure that we stick to.

ie. Technical director

(karembeu)

Head coach

(alexandris) or Takis Lemonis

Assistant coach

(bandovic)

Head scout

(niniadis)

ext technical reference

Nikos Alefantos

might sound silly for some but iam comfortable with these appointments, even if it means we get Lemonis back cause he is the only guy that has done well in europe and the players respect. i will never forget us beating PAO 4-1 away greek cup and 4-0 at home with lemonis, never forget us beating Leverkusen 6-2 at home and werder Brehmen away and home. lastly i will never forget Olympiacos Playing brilliant football at the Bernabeu with Real Madrid with 10 men. thats what i want our team to play with passion... Lemonis did this !!

I see you have no trouble with my statements about Diogo or Gonzalez.  Starting especially the second mentioned to me is insane.  This is the same guy that the Spaniard brought in and didnt really dare to use him. 

Valverde had the luxury of not playing him because he had Djole and Leto. Who would you rather Zico played? Fetfatsidis?

Now lets get to the Mellberg thing.

I've been b!tch!ng about the state of Greek soccer/mentality for the past couple of years.

Now they wantto bring back Neri Castillo!! How stupid is that. Just because Gate7 loves him they bring him back.

I'm pretty sure that if Castillo comes back, it will be the end of Zico and this team as we now it. This team will become a circus

I've been b!tch!ng about the state of Greek soccer/mentality for the past couple of years.

Now they wantto bring back Neri Castillo!! How stupid is that. Just because Gate7 loves him they bring him back.

I'm pretty sure that if Castillo comes back, it will be the end of Zico and this team as we now it. This team will become a circus

Don't you know why Castillo is an option? The rumour is he'd return on an 18 month loan deal. Kokkalis knows the team needs a left sided player and Castillo would appease the fans and cost next to nothing. If Zico (or the new manager then flops) he can't say "I didn't have a left sided player". So Kokkalis absolves himself of responsibility

More of the same old crap and drama in the world of Greek football. There is no indication that anything will change for the better with any of the teams. I agree there should be just a few foreigners allowed per team since the local talent is being wasted...this is indeed happening and it affects the NT (the illusion is we don't have enough midfield talent - NOT TRUE). There was ALWAYS talent to be found in Greece; organization was and is the problem. If the fans organized maybe they could influence some decision making, but I really wonder about them in Greece. If someone took over, one guy, and imposed some new rules and regulations maybe that would help to a degree.

I was absolutely in favor of getting rid of T. Cate; the team were playing atrociously and he couldn't field the right players, plus he had enough time with us. Now we're playing much better and the difference is quite big. That doesn't mean I think our team have a good organized management. There are problems but at least they've been giving coaches more time in the last few seasons.

Dropping 2 more points at Kavala may be the last time Ziko coaches Oly. There's the round 16 of the CL to think about. Even if the team doesn't advance, it should have a respectable presence.

Who can take over that will have a quick positive effect? I think if they make a coaching change, the sooner the better. Otherwise, ride out the season with Ziko and prepare for the next season with a new coach.

As for my team and TKate's firing, I didn't see it as a bad thing. I had been convinced that TKate could not take the team to the next level. Also, I didn't think a coaching change would make the team worse. So far so good for us.

Archived