Phantis Forums

Greece - Latvia

dark_horse

Greece returns home for there final 2 WCQ matches, but first; to Latvia. I found out that Evangelis Moras will sit out the remaining qualifying matches with an injury. Loukas Vyntra is back from suspention. With only a month to go, God knows what state Greece are in. I still believe in them, no matter how bad Greece played in the last 2 WCQ matches away from home.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being on the other side of the pond.I would like to know what was the response from TV,radio and newspapers in Greece after dropping 5 of 6 points

Have the media come down on Otto or has he got a free pass .

Sifakis

Giourkas Socrates Soto Spiropoulos

Toro Karagounis Katsouranis

Salpi Samaras Amanatidis

That is our best 11

Why bother opening this thread when Greece will get eliminated after the Greece-Lux match or after the second leg of the playoff? Greece recovers well when they fall behind early in a qualifying campaign like in Euro 2004 QC and Euro 2008 QC. But, when Greece falls behind later on in a qualifying campaign, they dont recover and funny this has happened for WC QC only btu not for Euro QC where its been the opposite.

In WC 2006 QC, they lost at home to Ukraine in the second half of the schedule and never recovered and finished in 4th place. For WC 2010 QC, they threw away points to the Swiss and Moldovars and now have no chance for first. Being in second means not qualifying and being in a playoff does not help Greece for they will face a tougher team than the Swiss, a team Greece lost to with a combined score of 4-1. With all the teams Greece faced from Euro 2004 QC until now, taking into account quality teams, in a home-and-home, Greece has not fared well.

Euro 2004 QC

Greece-Spain 0-2

Spain-Greece 0-1

Ukraine-Greece 2-0

Greece-Ukraine 1-0

WC 2006 QC

Ukraine-Greece 1-1

Greece-Ukraine 0-1

Turkey-Greece 0-0

Greece-Turkey 0-0

Denmark-Greece 1-0

Greece-Denmark 2-1

Euro 2008 QC

Greece-Turkey 1-4

Turkey-Greece 0-1

Norway-Greece 2-2

Greece-Norway 1-0

So, Greece wont qualify and I am 100% sure of it.

Being on the other side of the pond.I would like to know what was the response from TV,radio and newspapers in Greece after dropping 5 of 6 points

Sifakis

Salpi Samaras Amanatidis

That is our best 11

Not a good line up you have there OFI. Amanatidis is not a technical player and loses the ball easily, he lacks control though he has been used in certain situations successfully in Europe. But I would not start him. Toro and Giourkas both play in the same position so you can't have both of them at the same time. I would go w/ Toro. Salpi I wouldn't call up at all since he hasn't shown anything in international play and he tends to trip over his own feet roughly 36 times per game. Samaras and Kara are good but where's your #9? Gekas up front w/ Mantzios or Samaras and Ninis on the right.

Sifakis

Salpi  Samaras  Amanatidis

That is our best 11

Not a good line up you have there OFI. Amanatidis is not a technical player and loses the ball easily, he lacks control though he has been used in certain situations successfully in Europe. But I would not start him. Toro and Giourkas both play in the same position so you can't have both of them at the same time. I would go w/ Toro. Salpi I wouldn't call up at all since he hasn't shown anything in international play and he tends to trip over his own feet roughly 36 times per game. Samaras and Kara are good but where's your #9? Gekas up front w/ Mantzios or Samaras and Ninis on the right.
Samaras is our STRIKER he has never played that role yet...Gekas and Charistaes if not put in front of goal do not offer much. That is why I have Amanatidis on the leftside we have no other option in my opinion.

Toro has the skill to move up to midfield ..if he was comfortable enuff to come forward playin LEFTBACK an alien position to him ..he'll do fine as the ROM gives the option to Giourkas to overlap and make agressive runs down the line.

I agree with Salpi not cutting it for the Ethniki but I cannot watch Charisteas anymore...and until Nini cracks the PAO lineup as an everyday player.

Koutsianikoulis can man the leftside but he must play more for PAOK.

So I m going with my BEST AVAILABLE players to bring the 6pts to get us to barage.

Sifakis

Salpi

We should play a 5-3-2

Chalkias

vyntra, spiropolous, Kyraikos, Papastathopoulos, Torosidis

Ninis, Katsouranis, Karagounis

Mitroglou, Samaras

Torosidis could also play in the midfield. we also should try to stay with the same line up for more than one game to build some chemistry and do whatever it takes to keep charisteas off of the field.

• 2 weeks later...

Our task has been made alot harder with UEFA announcing a seeding system for the play-offs. If Portugal don't qualify and we do we'll be seeded and draw one of N.Ireland, Bosnia, Slovenia and Sweden. It's highly unlikely that Portugal won't make it though, considering their remaining fixtures which probably means we'll lose our seeding place. That will mean we have to play one of France, Croatia, Portugal or Russia. <_< I really don't understand how UEFA can be allowed to make such a late decision on these things. Why wasn't this annonced at the beginning of the qualifiers? :tdown:

Our task has been made alot harder with UEFA announcing a seeding system for the play-offs. If Portugal don't qualify and we do we'll be seeded and draw one of N.Ireland, Bosnia, Slovenia and Sweden. It's highly unlikely that Portugal won't make it though, considering their remaining fixtures which probably means we'll lose our seeding place. That will mean we have to play one of France, Croatia, Portugal or Russia. <_< I really don't understand how UEFA can be allowed to make such a late decision on these things. Why wasn't this annonced at the beginning of the qualifiers? :tdown:

Why didn't we take care of our own business and put away this crap group.

Assuming Greece get 6 points against Latvia and Luxembourg and clinches second place, Greece will be in pot 2 if Portugal clinches 2nd place in Group 1, or in Pot 1 if Sweden clinches second place in Group 1.

Division and remaining matches

Group 1

Team MP W D L GF GA Pts

Denmark 8 5 3 0 15 4 18

Sweden 8 4 3 1 9 3 15

Portugal 8 3 4 1 10 5 13

Hungary 8 4 1 3 9 5 13

Albania 9 1 4 4 5 9 7

Malta 9 0 1 8 0 22 1

10/10/09 Copenhagen Denmark - Sweden

10/10/09 Lisbon Portugal - Hungary

14/10/09 Guimaraes Portugal - Malta

14/10/09 Copenhagen Denmark - Hungary

14/10/09 Solna Sweden - Albania

Previous results (important in case of head-to-head, which is 3rd tiebreaker, and getting second place by excluding results against last-place team, in this case, Malta. Only results in relation to this scenario are included)

06/09/09 Budapest Hungary 0:0 Denmark

06/09/08 Ta'Qali Malta 0:4 (0:1) Portugal

10/09/08 Solna Sweden 2:1 (0:0) Hungary

10/09/08 Lisbon Portugal 2:3 (1:0) Denmark

11/10/08 Solna Sweden 0:0 Portugal

11/10/08 Copenhagen Denmark 3:0 (2:0) Malta

15/10/08 Ta'Qali Malta 0:1 (0:1) Hungary

15/10/08 Braga Portugal 0:0 Albania

28/03/09 Ta'Qali Malta 0:3 (0:2) Denmark

28/03/09 Porto Portugal 0:0 Sweden

01/04/09 Budapest Hungary 3:0 (1:0) Malta

01/04/09 Copenhagen Denmark 3:0 (2:0) Albania

06/06/09 Solna Sweden 0:1 (0:1) Denmark

10/06/09 Gothenburg Sweden 4:0 (1:0) Malta

05/09/09 Budapest Hungary 1:2 (0:1) Sweden

05/09/09 Copenhagen Denmark 1:1 (1:0) Portugal

09/09/09 Ta'Qali Malta 0:1 (0:0) Sweden

09/09/09 Budapest Hungary 0:1 (0:1) Portugal

Well he's lost the plot a long time ago but...out of the players he called up, who would you guys start? I would start Samaras and Gekas, Karagounis and Ninis, but who out of these guys can play as a left winger? Can any of them? Does Pliatsikas have a good left foot?

Kyriakos is obvious but definitely not Seitaridis, that would be ridiculous. I think with the guys he called up we can have something potentially good happening but that would be extremely lucky. If things go well during the game I would call in Mantzios and play him for 10 or 15 minutes to break him in once again.

Well he's lost the plot a long time ago but...out of the players he called up, who would you guys start? I would start Samaras and Gekas, Karagounis and Ninis, but who out of these guys can play as a left winger? Can any of them? Does Pliatsikas have a good left foot?

Kyriakos is obvious but definitely not Seitaridis, that would be ridiculous. I think with the guys he called up we can have something potentially good happening but that would be extremely lucky. If things go well during the game I would call in Mantzios and play him for 10 or 15 minutes to break him in once again.

For both PAO and Greece Karagounis is most effective when he plays as a left forward in a 4-3-3. With Spyropoulos providing width we can afford to have him cutting in and affecting the play. Problem with that is you're then forced to play a big target man. Mantzios isn't fit & Samaras tends to struggle as a lone front man, while Gekas is too small as is Salpi. So my favoured formation would be 3-5-2, but that essentially kills Karagounis who just isn't effective as a central midfielder anymore.

Because of that I'd try and find a compromise with 3-4-1-2.

..................................................Chalkias.........................................................

...............Papastathopoulos..........Kyrgiakos...........Moras....................................

Ninis.............................Torosidis.............Katasouranis......................Spyropoulos

................................................Karagounis........................................................

...................................Salpi............................Samaras.....................................

Archived