Phantis Forums

Europa League Draw

cyberfish

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wold be nice if we draw (and beat) teams from countries that are immediately above us, or below us, in the UEFA rankings http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/d.../crank2010.html

In that spirit it would be nice to draw:

PAO

Seltic, Copenhagen, or Basil

Lefski

Sofia, or National

If we capture first place, then in the round of 32 draw we will be seeded with the third place teams from the Champions League groups.

I like Cyber's idea of destroying the teams around us. So I want:

Basel

Levski

Ventspils (not Nacional, that's too dangerous :P )

In terms of ease the best we could hope for is:

Copenhagen

Levski

Ventspils

The nightmare draw would be:

Galatasary

Twente/Fulham (who I believe move to the 2nd pot now that Aston Villa are out)

Genoa

It will be great if PAO was drawn Fenerbahce, Fulham and Genoa. Trifilli will show up to the occasion and top this group! 6 points from Fener, 4 from Fulham and 3 from Genoa will do the trick! :tup:

And I've changed my mind about Galatasaray...

I want Hamburg!! I want revenge!! :box: :box: :box: :box:

guys, do not get me wrong on this. everyone here knows how badly I support PAO in all competitions. but the main pulp of my heart always supports Galatasaray ever since I knew myself. and after seeing GS's attacking options this year with the technical skills and flair of Arda and Kewell, the horsepower strength of Baros, the monster Keita and 'Mr I can do anything anytime' Elano, along with PAO's defensive torridness, I'll be hugely pleased if we drew PAO in the Europa League draw from the first pot on Friday. It will almost be certain we'll get at least 4 points from the two matches. Of course, unless PAO switch on the transfer button and bring in at least 3 decent defensive players...

I've written this in madness but hey, UEFA are you tracking me in this forum?? :LOL:

Good luck guys! I'll be at Ali Sami Yen when you guys turn up, I'll be pleased to host anyone who wants to come to the game, though I'll be at the GS end... Leave me a PM or the ones who have my FB account, contact me if you want to come & watch the match at the stadium...

In his interview Ten Cate answered "Greek League" without hesitation to the question "Greek League or Europa Cup final?".

It's nice to see that the club has set a clear goal for the season, but boy, Europa League final would be another lifetime event for Panathinaikos fans. I was a little boy the last time we played in a European final and I gather most posters here weren't even born.

I'd take the Europa League final over the Greek Super League any day.

Europa League Final?

This year?!! head is in the clouds. We should expect to get to the next group stage. Otherwise there are too many teams better than us. IMO to get to the final 8 is the most realistic target for this group, and thats a big one too.

As for this draw, I personally don't like it. I'd rather not play Galatasaray this year, because odds are we will get embarassed in Istanbul.

Sturm Graz I expect us to beat, Dinamo Bucuresti is a wild card. I remember a few years ago they were very strong, hopefully theyre crap but the Romanian teams are tough latley. We should pull past them, and with a bit of luck maybe even Galatasaray, but I won't count on it.

But absolutley this draw could have been far worse. Thank God we did not take Genoa from the 4th pot. And Dinamo seems reasonable though away might drop points.

Most important is to get points wins for Greece and for the clubs coefficient to keep us in higher seedings as often as possible.

Qualification and good draws really are an endless struggle, every win counts big for us in the long run.

Sorry to AEK, who got a really s%$#! draw. I hope they go through and pull their best in Europe this season.

Good luck in the competition.

In regards to Ten Cate talking about the final and the Greek league. I like the ambition, but what has he and the team shown so far that points to Europa League late stages and for that matter th Greek League title?

Nice draw. One good challenger and 2 lesser teams. If we can't get 1st place, we shouldn't be in the Europa cup. Let's then concentrate on the domestic title and not be out of contention before year's end.

Those who say PAO can go to the europa final or even a step from it are smoking something good.... :LOL:

We're not getting 1st place. Galatasaray is stronger this year, they've been doing what our club should have been doing all along. Great signings, great coach, balance of youth, actually bought defenders.....

So far, Galatasaray has scored 30 official goals this season. Just thought that was interesting seeing that its not even September. Even if a few of those were easy routs, the point is they are finding goals and are QUITE accustomed to them.

Also, Djibril Cisse is SUSPENDED for the game vs Galatasaray in OAKA, our fist match. Of course, not like we'd have any use for Vaggelis Mantzios right, who wont be allowed to play and was only granted permission to train this week. :blink:

Because you know, its better to not have depth. Small as team as possible, the Ten Cate way. Petropoulos cannot fill Cisses shoes. Rukavina cant play when hes actually needed and is not that style of forward anywyas.

I guess its better to ignore the fact that our lead striker has temper history, and has broken his leg twice. Were better off not preparing for him to miss big matches.

Well since the Greek league is corrupt I don't look at finishing 1st place to be that important; as long as we finish in the top 3 and get a Euro spot. Getting to a Europa league final is possible but the team is not being managed correctly and I don't like the coaches tactics. So I'm not very optimistic.

Archived