Phantis Forums

Atletico Madrid v. Panathinaikos

athinaios

Well, I'm sure you'll watch the game and have lots of opinions about it. So, let's start the conversation....

Kara is out. :( But, even with him, I don't think PAO could beat Atletico 2-0. Even if we score twice, they'll score too, and that would be it.

I'm hoping for a decent result. A tie would be great.

I think we'll lose 2-0. (I may revise this before the game). "

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a slight chance if the right players were started. But I don't see that happening, since this guy is a dope. I would start Xristo in Karas position...Cisse and Salpi up front...Leto and Ninis on the wings...I would start Sarriegi and Spyro. I think I'm wasting my time here.

If it was up to me I'd go for....

---------------Galinovic-----------------

Gabriel ---- Gilberto ---- Vyntra ----Spyropoulos

-----------------Simao-----------------------

Ninis---------Katsouranis------------Leto

--------Salpiggidis----Cisse------------

If we take the lead then the tie is blown wide open. As Athinaios says, it will be very difficult to keep them from scoring, so although we need two goals we need as many defensively competant players on the pitch as possible in my opinion. I'd go for a 3-5-2 (5-3-2 when on the back foot).

..................................................Galinovic.........................................................

.............................Bjarsmyr......Katsouranis.............Vintra.................................

Ninis.................Gabriel..................Gilberto.................Simao........................Leto

.....................................Salpi......................Cisse..............................................

We'll have to push them at times and we'll be forced to play a high defensive line as a result. Because of this I really don't want Gilberto in at centre-back, he'd be too slow. I'd rather have him in centre-mid and Katsouranis at centre-back simply because he has more pace.

If it was up to me I'd go for....

---------------Galinovic-----------------

Gabriel ---- Gilberto ---- Vyntra ----Spyropoulos

-----------------Simao-----------------------

Ninis---------Katsouranis------------Leto

--------Salpiggidis----Cisse------------

i like our chances with this lineup to win or at least lose big, but you gotta go for it.

Caution to the wind, and as mentioned/shown above 3 at the back is the best way.

However ten cate would still like to keep his job, so will do just enough to look respectable, he cant afford to risk getting smashed for his own job security..

expect...another defensive display, with the usual deficiences, and the odd brilliance by individuals giving us false hope, till the last 20 minutes were we concede ridiculous goals and our hopes shatter.

thats the pessimism out of the way...or was that realism..anyway.

We will win 2-0, and miraculously go through...

thats better....

------------------------------Galinovic--------------------------------

-----Gabriel---------Sarriegui-------Vyntra----------Spyro--------

---------------------Gilberto---Kats-----Simao----------------------

--Salpi------------------------------------------------------Leto------

--------------------------------Cisse----------------------------------

- The central midfield trio will be just told to cut the passing lanes, win tackles and play the ball to the nearest attacker available.

- Salpi and Leto will constantly swap wings and when Leto's on the right, Gabriel will be instructed to join the attack more with Gilberto and possibly Sarriegui offering cover if there's a lost ball or misplaced pass.

- When Gabriel goes forward, Spyro will move in as a third centre-back just in case the opposition attacks from the middle. Atletico's main weapons are their breakaways thru the centre of the park with Assuncao, Garcia, Maxi, Forlan and Kun interlinking with each other.

- Another option in the defensive setup may be benching Spyro who was awful in the first leg, put Vyntra on the left-back slot and put in either Bjarsmyer or Kante in the centre-half position. Overall team height could be improved with this move.

- If it's 0-1 or 1-2 PAO with about 25-30 mins to go, Ninis may come on as a replacement for Kats and the team may revert to a 4-4-2 with Ninis and Leto on the wings and Cisse and Salpi upfront.

- As Gali seems mistake prone from long range, the central trio will be instructed not to let any long range strikes by Garcia, Assuncao or Maxi, who are all pretty good at it.

- That's my take for the moment. And yes, I've watched too many Galatasaray games recently. ;)

I like your suggestions for the lineup but you know, TKate does not want to gamble. I'm willing to bet you that he's going to field a team with instructions not to take risks and not lose big.

Kate thinks that if the team isn't spanked by Atletico, then he remains a manager, but if he risks and we cope 4-5 goals, calls for his firing will intensify. He was too afraid of Atletico in Athens. I think he was delighted to draw such a big team, because being eliminated by it is normal, to be expected.

He also wants to remain in the hunt for the domestic title and not be out of before year's end! <_<

I made plans to watch the game, but I can only do so if I can find a stream. I'm hoping B)

athinaios, try these websites....

http://www.myp2p.eu

or

http://www.channelsurfing.net

You will most likely find a stream as both these sites are pretty good most of the time :)

For all Australian's, the game will be on SBS at 4:30am AEST, live to all centres.

This may be wishful thinking, but i see a 1-3 scoreline in this game.

Lets hope........... :box: :box: :gr:

im being forced to watch the delayed coverage on ESPN PAC/RIM right after the match is finnished (845am NZ or 645AM for any ausies) as my internet is slow at the moment, even phantis is a struggle (.......better head out californi-way.....southpark aye gotta love it)

i think we can put up a fight, kara out is a blow BUT my head says a 2-1 win....respectable tie and loss on away goals.....but my heart says 3-2 win 10-9 on penalties with galinovic sealing the win with a ludacris save in the top corner!!!!!!!!!

i'll naturally be watching on MUTE as janush mikalic, derek raye and tommy smYth are the MOST uneducated commentators in WORLD SPORT.....id rather watch it in swahili than listen to those morons DEFAME and PATRONISE our beautiful PAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PAO EIMAI MAZI SOY MEXRI 8ANATOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution to the wind, and as mentioned/shown above 3 at the back is the best way.

However ten cate would still like to keep his job, so will do just enough to look respectable, he cant afford to risk getting smashed for his own job security..

expect...another defensive display, with the usual deficiences, and the odd brilliance by individuals giving us false hope, till the last 20 minutes were we concede ridiculous goals and our hopes shatter.

thats the pessimism out of the way...or was that realism..anyway.

We will win 2-0, and miraculously go through...

thats better....

Good post :tup:

its extremely unlikley game tongight. I hope for miracles, but well see. Crazy things have happened, even under Ten Cate.

If Atletico scores, I will be changing the channel to the Basketball (Greece-Russia on NET) - the NT has got really promising talent right now...more fun to watch than me just reconfirming constantly how horrific our back line is, and how stupid people are for not making any effort to adress this in two seasons.

Pateras declared also that PAE would not be adressing the transfer issues unless Ten Cate asked, needless to say I'm quite pissed at HTC for conciously denying us the potential greatness we could have by putting even a DECENT back line for that great attacking and midfield talent we have.

I like your suggestions for the lineup but you know, TKate does not want to gamble. I'm willing to bet you that he's going to field a team with instructions not to take risks and not lose big.

Kate thinks that if the team isn't spanked by Atletico, then he remains a manager, but if he risks and we cope 4-5 goals, calls for his firing will intensify. He was too afraid of Atletico in Athens. I think he was delighted to draw such a big team, because being eliminated by it is normal, to be expected.

He also wants to remain in the hunt for the domestic title and not be out of before year's end! <_<

I made plans to watch the game, but I can only do so if I can find a stream. I'm hoping B)

He WAS too afraid of Athletico which means he doesn't have any faith in the team and he's a big pussy! Thats why I want him to leave!

Line-ups are available on uefa.com

PAO

Galinovic

Moon

Sarriegi

Ninis

Cisse

Leto

Gilberto

Gabriel

Darlas

Vyntra

Katsouranis

Bench: Tzorvas, Salpi, Xristo, Bjarsymr, Simao, Petropoulos, Spiropoulos

I must say I'm disappointed with this selection. Salpi on the bench?!?! WTF!

PAO

Galinovic

Moon

Sarriegi

Ninis

Cisse

Leto

Gilberto

Gabriel

Darlas

Vyntra

Katsouranis

sounds like a deep defensive 4-5-1 <_<

even i'm starting to lose faith in HTC... <_<

PAO

Galinovic

Moon

Sarriegi

Ninis

Cisse

Leto

Gilberto

Gabriel

Darlas

Vyntra

Katsouranis

Starting to losse faith w/ HTC??? (I lost it a long time ago and I could care less)

Dude he's going to be the next manager to be sacked in the Greek League..

a Defensive 4-5-1?

with Leto Ninis and Cisse?

I believe it woudl be a defensive 4-5-1 if we had simao and kara in for leto and Ninis..

this is much more offensive then anthign we ever played with in the cl

Moon---Vyntra----Sarie---Darlas

---------Katso------Gilberto-----

Gabriel-------Ninis---------Leto

---------------Cisse--------------

PAO

Galinovic

Moon

Sarriegi

Ninis

Cisse

Leto

Gilberto

Gabriel

Darlas

Vyntra

Katsouranis

Starting to losse faith w/ HTC??? (I lost it a long time ago and I could care less)

Dude he's going to be the next manager to be sacked in the Greek League..

I meant I always side with patience and do not expect results to be delivered instantly. Bu even such a patient fan can get infuriated at times.

I still think it's a defensive setup with Ninis and Leto probably expected and assigned to do a lot of running back and forwards.

Gathering from what I've seen in European matches last year, I think Gabriel will be given a M RC role rather than a winger role.

I presumed it would look like:

------------------------------------Gali--------------------------------------

----Moon------------Sarriegui------------Vyntra-----------Darlas--------

--------------Gabriel----------G. Silva---------Kats-----------------------

--Ninis------------------------------------------------------------Leto------

-----------------------------------Djibril-------------------------------------

Archived