Phantis Forums

Sotirios Kyrgiakos (retired)

Ziaka

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

torres might have scored the winning goal but it would not have happend if his marker didnt draw towards soto during the cross that led to torres' nice...

kyrgiakos was the mvp...scored a nice goal, was dangerous in attack and also pretty solid in defense...

I watched Liverpool play Bolton yesterday and Kyrgiakos started and played the full 90' minutes. He played very well, he won many headers in the air during the game and done a very good job keeping Kevin Davies and Elmander quite. He could have also scored a goal from a corner which went just wide. He was solid in defence and done his job very well. He was also given the the MOTM award.

Here's a clip of Kyrgiakos' interview with Carragher, he refuses to talk as he doesn't speak English but excepts the MOTM award. You need to scroll down the side until you find Carragher as there are new videos put on now. I like the cheeky slap Carragher gives Kyrgiakos at the end :LOL:

Kyrgiakos Interview

:LOL: You beat me to it mate! I was coming to apologise and take back everything I said when I saw goal.com! :LOL: I saw the game Kyrgiakos put in a towering performance. He really was unbelievable.

I think the difference between this example and the Papastathopoulos one though as that Sky awarded Kyrgiakos the MOM award, The Sun gave him the joint 2nd highest rating, the Liverpool fans forums have all rated him as MOM while the Goal.com journalist was clearly smoking drugs before the game.

However everyone seems to be critical of Sokratis. I'm not sure that they can all be wrong. Let's hope he starts to win people over.

Kyrgiakos is proving that at the moment is he is by far our best defender though and I'm gutted he's retired for international football

I have seen his last 3 matches as well as the half he played against Napoli in the Europa and he has been consistently the best Liverpool player in my opinion.

The English media is seriously biased and takes a real condescending tone when it comes to Greece and Greek footballers.

Kyrgiakos is the form defender in the Premier League. Period. End of Story.

He is also a major threat in front of goals as well. More so that any other Liverpool player including Torres!

As was mentioned above, if his name was Gareth McWankmeoff from Huddlestone, then he would be considered "world class", but as he is the "fill in" for hacks like Agger and a back-up to overrated players like Skrtel then he is the token "Greek".

He is crushing them. He wins at least 80% of balls in the air! What more does he have to do to get the respect from the whining pom C*nts? :LOL:

I saw the match v. Boloton and Kyrgiakos deserved the man of the match award. He saved Liverpool by shoulder checking a Bolton forward off the ball (of course the whole Bolton team screamed for a penalty but that's another story :) )

I saw the match v. Boloton and Kyrgiakos deserved the man of the match award. He saved Liverpool by shoulder checking a Bolton forward off the ball (of course the whole Bolton team screamed for a penalty but that's another story :) )

:LOL: It's true, as great as he was all the good work could have been undone if that was given as a penalty :P

Kyrgiakos was feeling his groin and he's an injury doubt ahead of tomorrow nights clash against Napoli. He should be fit to face Chelsea on Sunday though.

Here are some recent articles about him:

Soto Kyrgiakos: Liverpool’s Unlikely Hero

The Big Greek has become an unlikely hero late, offering something at both ends of the pitch.

Written by Aaron Cutler

Sotirios Kyrgiakos is anything but a stereotypical Liverpool player. He’s big, brutal and unceremonious, with a crazed appearance hinting of Neanderthal heritage. At first glance one would associate this Greek stopper with ancient warfare as opposed to top-flight football. Yet in the doldrums that has been Roy Hodgson’s tenure ‘Soto’ has emerged as a leading figure.

With the exception of Tommy Smith it is hard to recall a defender of similar ilk in the Reds illustrious history. Clearly, Smith was a far superior player and rightly revered by the Kop faithful. However, Kyrgiakos is slowly earning cult status himself, erasing initial reservations.

In truth, his track record hardly inspired. Somewhat of a journeyman, supporters were horrified to learn he’d actually been released by Glasgow Rangers in 2006. But with precariously limited funds Rafa Benitez took the plunge and landed Kyrgiakos from AEK Athens for around

I agree it does appear like a back handed compliment.

He paints picture of a player who is all brawn and desire. He refers to agger and his greater class and how he is a stop gap defender only because they are fighting a relegation battle.

The trouble is he doesnt look good on the ball and quite frankly this applies to most centre halfs.

Everyone knows what centre halfs do and he does it better then any other Liverpool defender at the moment.

If Agger is so classy when will he deliver?

The article is the epitome of English condescending tripe!

It is the worst kind of biased "journalism" and is typical of what the British percieve of Greeks in general. What's worse it is written by a Liverpool "fan" on their website!

The writers bio begins with "Aaron is an upcoming journalist who began writing for This Is Anfield in 2006."

More like Aaron is an arrogant no-nothing twat of a kid who was never good enough to play amateur football so he took up being an amateur writer and he blows at that as well.

The premise of his article is that it's a surprise that someone like Kyrgiakos "who was released by Rangers" (and is-believe it or not Greek!?) would be good enough for Liverpool when you have class like Agger and Skrtel.

Let me tell you about Agger and Skrtel....they aren't fit to clean Avraam Papadopoulos' boots let alone Kyrgiakos'. Kyrgiakos is playing like 3 players at the moment.

Rubbish article. If I was Kyrgiakos and I assume he can understand English even though he doesn't feel comfortable speaking publicly I would be serious annoyed enough that I would go out against Chelsea and crush John Terry for fun. That or send him a letter bomb...us Greeks are good at that....I am suprised that wasn't in the article.

• 2 weeks later...

He definitely deserves it, not many can disagree. As a Liverpool fans myself it was a bit weird at first and a bit annoyed when Liverpool signed him of AEK, but it's a good move for him, he is far too good for the Greek league.

Anyway here's some praise Kyrgiakos got from Skrtel.

Skrtel: I want to be like Soto

Martin Skrtel is eager to learn from Sotirios Kyrgiakos when it comes to scoring goals.

The 26-year-old thinks his defensive colleague is the best header of the ball at Anfield - if not throughout the entire Barclays Premier League.

And he hopes Kyrgiakos's abilities in opponents' penalty areas will rub off.

Skrtel told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I think he's dangerous for every single set play, every single corner and free-kick. I think he's absolutely No.1 in the air at our club and maybe in the Premier League.

"He's showed he's a good player and that he could score a lot of goals for Liverpool.

Source

• 1 month later...

He did indeed have a poor game and he now appears to have been dropped (Agger and Skrtel played at Man Utd in the cup, which is bad news because Johnson and Carragher were both injured too so he's likely to fall further down the pecking order). It's a real shame because he has been superb for them overall and he's never received the respect he's deserved. Let's hope he gets a chance under the new manager (Kenny Dalglish)

He did indeed have a poor game and he now appears to have been dropped (Agger and Skrtel played at Man Utd in the cup, which is bad news because Johnson and Carragher were both injured too so he's likely to fall further down the pecking order). It's a real shame because he has been superb for them overall and he's never received the respect he's deserved. Let's hope he gets a chance under the new manager (Kenny Dalglish)

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/wes...rgiakos-1414491

Kyrgiakos has lost his place at Liverpool and has become a scapegoat for some clueless fans. Some love him so he's acquired a cult hero status but he can't seem to shake off the negative stigma attached to him before he even arrived. As a result many believe he could leave Liverpool this January and West Brom's Roberto Di Matteo is interested in signing him.

Kyrgiakos has lost his place at Liverpool and has become a scapegoat for some clueless fans. Some love him so he's acquired a cult hero status but he can't seem to shake off the negative stigma attached to him before he even arrived. As a result many believe he could leave Liverpool this January and West Brom's Roberto Di Matteo is interested in signing him.

I knew this scenario would unfold.

When you have players like Fernando Torres who get payed 10 times more than Krygiakos failing, the ignorant Liverpool fans take it out on Kyrgiakos.

I hope Liverpool get what they deserve. They blow and will be worse without him. He should go to WBA.

I knew this scenario would unfold.

When you have players like Fernando Torres who get payed 10 times more than Krygiakos failing, the ignorant Liverpool fans take it out on Kyrgiakos.

I hope Liverpool get what they deserve. They blow and will be worse without him. He should go to WBA.

To be fair it's not all of them. He's a cult hero among many, but he is an easy scapegoat. I totally agree with you though.

Kyrgiakos made his first start under Kenny Dalglish in Liverpool's 2-0 win over Stoke. He was marking John Carew (a man he was involved in an epic battle with when Greece got a vital draw in Norway during the Euro 2008 qualifiers), and he was superb.

Dalglish praised his performance saying: "Soto (Kyrgiakos) was brilliant for us. His presence and the way he commanded nearly everything which came in the box was great and when we were under pressure he was there as well." http://www.headingleytoday.co.uk/news/kenn...debut_1_3036893

While goal.com and Sky giving him a 7 and commenting:

goal.com: "Nearly got Liverpool off to the perfect start but his header from a corner was cleared off the line. Seemed to enjoy his physical battle against Carew"

sky: "Excellent display when man-marking Carew"

• 2 weeks later...

Kyrgiakos played in Liverpool's 0-0 draw away at Sparta Prague and according to goal.com he was man of the match and got an 8.5!!!

Skysports only gave him a 6, but that doesn't surprise me because i've never seen them give him any praise. Also they gave Johnson a 7 who was terrible at the back (but great going forward) according to friends of mine as well as the channel 5 journalists and goal.com. So I'm assuming Sky are talking rubbish as usual.

Dalglish said "Soto has come in for us and done really well..."

goal.com's comment was: "Liverpools' best player. Made a couple fo decisive blocks and repelled everything Prague threw at him."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/54846/spar.../player-ratings

Also a couple of fans comments at the bottom of the article:

"Mark London

23:48 17 Feb 2011

Kyrgiakos is class! He's the most underrated defender in the Premier League"

and

"lpool anfield

23:19 17 Feb 2011

kygriakos gets man of the match again...whats new"

:tup: :gr:

Kyrgiakos played in Liverpool's 0-0 draw away at Sparta Prague and according to goal.com he was man of the match and got an 8.5!!!

Skysports only gave him a 6, but that doesn't surprise me because i've never seen them give him any praise. Also they gave Johnson a 7 who was terrible at the back (but great going forward) according to friends of mine as well as the channel 5 journalists and goal.com. So I'm assuming Sky are talking rubbish as usual.

Dalglish said "Soto has come in for us and done really well..."

goal.com's comment was: "Liverpools' best player. Made a couple fo decisive blocks and repelled everything Prague threw at him."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/54846/spar.../player-ratings

Also a couple of fans comments at the bottom of the article:

"Mark London

23:48 17 Feb 2011

Kyrgiakos is class! He's the most underrated defender in the Premier League"

and

"lpool anfield

23:19 17 Feb 2011

kygriakos gets man of the match again...whats new"

:tup: :gr:

However, it should also be noted that according to the Italian press kyrgiakos' agent has come out and said he's likely to leave liverpool in the summer. A German team and 4-5 top half of the table Italian teams have approached him apparently. While in the UK it's well known that Stoke are interested. However Kyrgiakos' agents has denied making this interview. http://www.sportdog.gr/article/13377/etan-ola-psemata

• 3 weeks later...

Kyrgiakos came on around the 25th minute in Liverpool's 3-0 win at home to Man Utd, it was 0-0 when he came on. Kyrgiakos was excellent. Man Utd were pretty inept going forward in all honest but Soto faced a very different threat in Hernandez (who was found to be the fastest runner at the World Cup). Kyrgiakos tracked his runs well throughout and Berbatov didn't get a sniff either.

Goal.com awarded him a 7 and stated: "Replaced Aurelio in the 24th minute and was dominant in the air as Liverpool comfortably kept United at arm's length."

:gr:

• Argy changed the title to Sotirios Kyrgiakos (retired)
  • Nikitas locked this topic

Archived