Phantis Forums

Sotirios Kyrgiakos (retired)

Ziaka

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this would apply to most players playing for the NT. The better league they are in, the better football they will play for Greece.

Speaking of which, I'm interested to see how Basinas performs for the NT now that he's found some regular playing time with Mallorca.

Rangers will be running the show in Europe under Paul Le Guen & I hope Soto is part of this,as well as another Greek Centre Half or Defender.

Chances are he may have to be part of a"clear out" as you would expect from a new manger to enable space for his new stars,which may affect other players who are out of contract.

We will have to see what Pope :P Gerhard Kapl has to say is he decides to Appeal against UEFA'S Decision?

I will hold my hands up & admit I have called a few referee's Papish in my time in the heat of a Match,but I never realised that they were all Papes? :LOL:

• 4 weeks later...

Gers confirm Kyrgiakos departure

Rangers have confirmed the release of 26-year-old defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos and want a quick answer after offering striker Peter Lovenkrands a new deal.

The Ibrox club say that Kyrgiakos, previously of Panathinaikos, is wanted by their Athens rivals, Olympiakos.

Lovenkrands is wanted by incoming Rangers manager Paul Le Guen.

But chairman David Murray told the Daily Record: "If Peter doesn't feel he can stay then the manager has someone else in mind for his position."

Lovenkrands has been in and out of the Rangers side this season under Alex McLeish, the Dane being frustrated at being used at times as a winger instead of a striker.

Everybody has to realise no one player is bigger than this club

Rangers chairman David Murray

"I have spoken to Peter on two occasions and have also held discussions with his agent," added Murray.

"They have to realise we need a quick answer.

"We would like Peter to stay. But, if not, we will move to secure the other target.

"Everybody has to realise no one player is bigger than this club."

Kyrgikos had spent two seasons with Rangers.

The Greece defender joined the Ibrox side in January 2005 but left at the end of that season after turning down a new contract.

He returned in August after failing to find another club, but he has now been told his contract will not be renewed.

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...ers/4758643.stm

i like kyrgiako alot..i think he held his own a league that may be more physical than the premiership.

anyways, i think everton would be a great match for the free agent. weir and hibbert are getting up there in age, while yobo is very inconsistent.

i'd like to see kyrgiako play in the premiership or the bundesliga. good matches for him.

definitly agreed

Kyrgiakos has been very inconsistent in the past months.Sometimes brilliant like he was in the CL........other times very poor.

He blew it with the fans after being red carded at Celtic for clapping the official........not long after both Ronney and Beckham got a red for doing the same thing.Some other stupid pieces of poor judgement caused a lot of fans to dislike him.

I still think when he is focused he is a very good central defender.A shame it's worked out this way.

Good luck in the future Sotirios.

Alladyce stated his interest before he went to Rangers and with N'Gotty being released, Bolton would be a great move. Aek66 is right about Everton too, he'd fit in perfectly there.

Bolton would suit him, definitely.

Kyrgiakos is murder, he wouldnt get a game for Gretna. He's been released by Rangers and is currently searching for a new club, anyone who will have him I suppose.

Greek people are obviously more deluded than hearts fans if they think hes good enough for the english prem.

:LOL: Yes, we're deluded. Any way good luck in Europe next year, mind you your star player is a Panathinaikos reject, Skacel, so wouldnt count on scoring a goal!

may i remind you who posted that?

oh yes it was hfc1875(hibernian football club, formed 1875), the city rivals of heart of midlothian(formed in 1874),my friend,and also i would like to point out that skacel is not our star player, he has scored on saturday for the first time since january,and is leaving soon

may i remind you who posted that?

oh yes it was hfc1875(hibernian football club, formed 1875), the city rivals of heart of midlothian(formed in 1874),my friend,and also i would like to point out that skacel is not our star player, he has scored on saturday for the first time since january,and is leaving soon

Yeah because of your chairman! No way would you let him go if it was up to you. And yes he is your best player!

well actually, i dont mind too much tht hes goin,he doesnt work hard enuff,wen he needs to track back.

so many of our fans worship him for his goals earlier in the season,but wen he is man marked properly,he is so ineffective,and has twice been accused of spitting

of course he is a talented player,and i wud prefer he stayed in the squad, but he wants to go aswell, so wots the point in keeping him

PAUL HARTLEY is our best player,and yes i know you havent heard of him but hey, u'd still say he wos sh!t

well actually, i dont mind too much tht hes goin,he doesnt work hard enuff,wen he needs to track back.

so many of our fans worship him for his goals earlier in the season,but wen he is man marked properly,he is so ineffective,and has twice been accused of spitting

of course he is a talented player,and i wud prefer he stayed in the squad, but he wants to go aswell, so wots the point in keeping him

PAUL HARTLEY is our best player,and yes i know you havent heard of him but hey, u'd still say he wos sh!t

please dont assume that everyone in here doesnt know about scottish football...dont be so negative towards us, as you came in here doing....you talk crap on kriakos saying he isnt a good player, but lt me assure you, he is a very good player...it is impossible to cmapre fyssas with him anyway...u seem to have a love affair with fyssas and that is fine..i think the man is a great individual and a good footballer but to be honest, he lacks alot of quality but he makes alot of this up with his hard work which is why im not surprised he as become a favorite at hearts...he is not the most skilled player but he works hard every minute...kyriakos is a very good defender..hes big and strong and has alot of passion but he must improve his decision making skills and his positioning..trust me when i say that hearts fans deifnily would not be upset with having kyriakos...kyriakos has the quality to go to the premiership, and it would only further build his potential....lets rememeber he is significantly younger then takis as well...fyssas is ending his career off while kyirkaos is starting to exapnd his and gain more expereinece...and if its one thing that is important to a defneders quality, it is expereince...

i could go on and comment for hours about all the previosu posts but i wont..but i urge you fyssas to keep an open mind in your comments just like everyone else should as well...and please stop assuming that people are clueless about scottish football becuase if you would like to have a discussion about scottish and greek football, i will gladly be up to the task and you will probably be extremely surprised

Yes I know the caveman look alike, if he is your best player then you have serious problems because he wouldnt get in the top 4 teams in Greece!

i can see where you are coming from pao123, but if you ever get the chance to see what happened last season, at tynecastle in a game between hearts and rangers, then maybe you would understand why we hate kyrgiakos in edinburgh.

i wont go into details, but it lead to our club fighting for weeks to have the game replayed,and meant that we will never forget kyrgiakos.

i would happliy admit he has some quality, yet he does as you said, need some more experience, and maybe would not suit being thrown in the deep end of the premiership, coming up against players of a far better standard.

regarding my previous posts, im sure you will agree that i am not the only one dishing out stuff(see ethnikistis), although i see i could have toned down the stuff about soti

im not obsessed with takis, he is just my favourite player

anyway, ethnikistis knows nothing about scottish football it would appear, he fails to accept defeat in anyway, always restating that we cant create an atmosphere.

i should have addressed my posts to him i spose.

and anyway, you are welcome to say krygiakos is good, its just my opinion he's a diving prick, who occasionally popped up with a headed goal, or a red card for halfing sum1.

you may have your own views(pao123) but i would doubt many of our fans would like soti to replace our scottish centre backs,webster and pressley,as they are suited to our game.(krygiakos wud not be ideal to replace webster,who will probably join rangers)

if ur up for it,pao123, im waiting.

funny how i get in the neck for my comments, yet the others are innocent?

biancoverde told me to "wear a kilt".

if thts not discrimination, i dont know what is.

anyway, i spose im crying like a baby, i can take the abuse,tis all good fun

if ur up for it,pao123, im waiting.

funny how i get in the neck for my comments, yet the others are innocent?

biancoverde told me to "wear a kilt".

if thts not discrimination, i dont know what is.

anyway, i spose im crying like a baby, i can take the abuse,tis all good fun

You're boring mate.

• Argy changed the title to Sotirios Kyrgiakos (retired)
  • Nikitas locked this topic

Archived