6 Marangos

9 Sosin

11 Frousos

16 Cristovão

19 Garpozis

28 Georgiou

Coach

Ernst Middendorp

Switching sides now. Here's the deal, Anorthosi can score one goal, still lose the match but not the aggregate. They have 15 minutes, will they do it?

No excuse for Anorthosis! They should've beaten a Crna-Goran squad!

But I still think if Ketsbaia had been at the helm, Ano would have pulled it off.

From what I've heard about the game it doesn't matter who would have been at the helm because individual mistakes blew it for Anorthosis. At 1-1 Fernandes missed a penalty merely a few mins for Petrovac made it 2-1. That would have effectively ended the tie. Also 2 of Petrovac's goals were the result of 2 huge goalkeeping errors. I haven't seen the highlights but according to Cypriot commentator on the radio Anorthosis killed themselves in this tie. There's not much a manager can do about individual mistakes like that.

are you joking !!!!!!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

No. And in the 1st leg Anorthosis hit the post twice, and Petrovac's away goal (which they scored when 2-0 down with 5 mins to go) was an also a crazy goal. The goalkeeper tried to smash the ball away, it hit their forward in the face and went in. He didn't even know anything about it. Anorthosis really did shoot themselves in the foot.

Haha, Irlande, let's pretend this is not the same Anorthosi. No more Ketsbaia, Beqaj's gone, and their form dropped off in domestic play as the season went on. This is still an upset, but perhaps you've held them to too high a standard.

Haha, Irlande, let's pretend this is not the same Anorthosi. No more Ketsbaia, Beqaj's gone, and their form dropped off in domestic play as the season went on. This is still an upset, but perhaps you've held them to too high a standard.

That's quite harsh. Anorthosis faded towards the end of the season but they had a longer season than any other Cypriot team. It's not easy to maintain a high level from the qualifiers in July until the end of the season. I think 99% of neutrals realise that last season Anorthosis was by far the best Cypriot team, and arguably the best Cypriot team ever.

The fact is Beqaj is injured and Supic was an abysmal replacement. Combine that with some poor managerial decisions (such as not introducing Sosin until the 115th min) and some bad luck and Anorthosis went out. I agree with Irlandos that this never should have happened but don't be so quick to suggest that this wasn't a major shock.

That's quite harsh. Anorthosis faded towards the end of the season but they had a longer season than any other Cypriot team. It's not easy to maintain a high level from the qualifiers in July until the end of the season. I think 99% of neutrals realise that last season Anorthosis was by far the best Cypriot team, and arguably the best Cypriot team ever.

The fact is Beqaj is injured and Supic was an abysmal replacement. Combine that with some poor managerial decisions (such as not introducing Sosin until the 115th min) and some bad luck and Anorthosis went out. I agree with Irlandos that this never should have happened but don't be so quick to suggest that this wasn't a major shock.

Fair points but, you know what? Any Cypriot team that goes to Europe is gonna face a long season starting in July, APOEL and Omonoia started play then, too. It may well could have been fatigue that caused Anorthosi to slip at the end there, but they were in the end not even a challenge for Omonoia or APOEL. Supic was a$$ and with Ketsbaia in Piraeus, both cornerstones of all their success last year were gone. And yes Sosin needed more playing time, but they did a lot of stupid things. So again I say, this was not the same Anorthosi as last year

Fair points but, you know what? Any Cypriot team that goes to Europe is gonna face a long season starting in July, APOEL and Omonoia started play then, too. It may well could have been fatigue that caused Anorthosi to slip at the end there, but they were in the end not even a challenge for Omonoia or APOEL. Supic was a$$ and with Ketsbaia in Piraeus, both cornerstones of all their success last year were gone. And yes Sosin needed more playing time, but they did a lot of stupid things. So again I say, this was not the same Anorthosi as last year
Yes they all started in July, but the others went out early. So while Ketsbaia had to keep trying to juggle his squad between the CL and the league all the way until Christmas, the rest were focussing merely on domestic football. I'm not undermining APOEL's acheivements in winning the league, but the fact remains that Ano had alot more physical demands and so it's unfair to say they were declining. It was clear from their performances in the last couple of months that they were clearly exhausted. So I agree that it was not the same Anorthosis without Ketsbaia and Beqaj (there's actually talk of the new manager getting sacked already!) but Irlandos isn't wrong for expecting Anorthosis to batter Petrovac.

Today is the 4th anniversary of the greatest victory in the history of Anorthosis: the historic 3-1 v. Trabzonspor.

I guess many of us here were expecting great things from the Varosi club and were disappointed, however, thanks for the memories... :)

Today is the 4th anniversary of the greatest victory in the history of Anorthosis: the historic 3-1 v. Trabzonspor.

I guess many of us here were expecting great things from the Varosi club and were disappointed, however, thanks for the memories... :)

WOW 4 years already. Time flies doesn't it? What a night it was :gr:

I just read that, but you beat me to it. Very ballsy by the Anorthosi management. They clearly are not happy about this and why would they be

Lol petrovac is small vilage in Crna Gora with population 2500 people!!! , and country Crna Gora have population four times smaller than BELGRADE, their champions Mogren lost 12:0 to copenhagen, and then i read in news how some guys from Cyprus say that your league is stronger then Serbian, our second division botom team eliminated Kaunas, Red Star eliminated Rudar , Partizan eliminated Rhyl and Vojvodina is playing with Austria, i hope they win..

Archived