Phantis Forums

Greek Channels Going to Digital Cable

What is with the sudden shift to cable in the US, ANT1 has signed deals for ANT1 Satellite with 3 or 4 cable providers, now you say 5 other channels are coming to cable- what does this mean for satellite?! Depending on the channels, it might mean many people switch to cable as opposed to satellite where channels are split between 2 providers.

There is 5 Greek channels that will be going to a large Digital Cable company very soon.

DKSat

I would hope that it is Time Warner, because they have better prices for cable and internet bundles, but I am very much afraid it is rcn digital.

Dream lineup: ERT World, MEGA, ALPHA, ALTER, STAR. Since they already have ANT1, theirs would be the most complete Greek lineup of any provider.

Any chance it might be Comcast? They are a pretty big cable provider.

Comcast has no NYC presence. You don't sign up new Greek channels if you are not planning on capitalizing on that market. We'll have to wait for DKSat's update, but I still think it is RCN. I would be ecstatic if it were Time Warner but hey, they have NGTV. :P

Comcast has no NYC presence. You don't sign up new Greek channels if you are not planning on capitalizing on that market. We'll have to wait for DKSat's update, but I still think it is RCN. I would be ecstatic if it were Time Warner but hey, they have NGTV. :P

Yeah, but Comcast is the largest cable provider in the US if I'm not mistaken, so they might want to go after Greeks outside of NYC. But I understand that they might want to go after the NYC Greek population since its so big. Time Warner is the second largest cable company in the US anyway I think.

Its about time, Greek channels went on cable. There's no reason why you shouldnt get options for Greek tv on a cable platform. Its a massive pain in the ass to sign up for satelite, place satelite just for a handful of Greek channels. Not to mention you need 2 diff dishes for international and domestic, like thats making life any easier.

Theres no reason why most international FTA channels arent on cable in the USA (or rather any international channels on Cable)----- is there?

I know in Switzerland, on my cable I get channels from every country, ERT is free in my cable package.

Does Dish Network own exclusivley the rights to broadcast ERT or something? I mean howcome the biggest Greek channel is so dificult to get in America when its FTA? I mean Greek Govmnt funds the channel, why the heck is it 15-20$ to get in the USA?

Dish Network does not have the exclusively rights to ERT world never did never will.

ERT is in talks with another satellite provider to broadcast ERT world.

ERT world is broadcast FTA to North and South America via Satellite INT 806 40.5 W the signal is in the clear.

DKSat

ERT world is broadcast FTA to North and South America via Satellite INT 806 40.5 W the signal is in the clear.

NSS 806 is a C-Band satellite, you need a huge dish in order to pick up the signal. This is a disgrace, why is it available on Ku-band satellite in Australia where they can pick it up with a small dish while here in North America we need a big honking 9ft dish to receive it??

Sorry but I don't consider this as a real option, let me know if it ever becomes available on Ku-band. Why can't GlobeCast put it on Galaxy 19 where they have their World TV service, I assume they distribute ERT World because its on a GlobeCast transponder on NSS 806?!?

Is there no one who can give us N.Americans some answers here?? :tdown:

To receive Ert world from INT 806 at 40.5 w for about $ 295.00 US

Fortec Star 4' (120 cm) Offset Satellite Dish.

C-Band LNBF with dielectric Plate

Digital fta receiver.

DKSat

Dish Network  does not have  the exclusively  rights to ERT world never did never will.

Dish Network may not have ever had exclusive rights to ERT World, but that hasn't stopped them from claiming that they do. Does this ring a bell?

"Dear Sirs,

We write on behalf of EchoStar Satellite L.L.C. ("EchoStar") which owns and/or controls broadcast rights in North America for ERT World.

We have noticed that your website is displaying, promoting and/or offering A/V content from ERT World.

We wish to make you aware that your present, unauthorized display of such A/V content is an infringement of EchoStar's exclusive intellectual property rights under national and international copyright laws. On behalf of EchoStar, I hereby demand that you immediately cease all such infringements on any and all web sites (and elsewhere) and confirm to NetResult within two (2) business days of the date of this letter, via return email, that you have done so. Your failure to comply with this demand will expose to you civil and criminal liability. Govern yourself accordingly. "

Within a few days of this cease and desist letter being sent to a number of websites online and presumably to ERT (!) in Greece, ERT pulled the plug on ERT World's online webcast, which had been online for 10 years!

That online webcast never worked once for me.....

I dont understand this letter ----- EchoStar owns the rights to ErtWorld, and told ERT themselves that they own ERT, and they demand they stop their own online stream?

I'm confused by this nonsense. Its a FTA channel. It should not have any exclusivity. It should be easy as F*** for a provider to pick up and offer. I mean seriously the basic cable packagin in Switz even has the channel with absoltuley no extra cost.

DirecTV, Comcast etc......they should all have the right to throw ERT on there and they all should in my opinion....

As discussed in another thread about ERT a while back, it appears the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at ERT. Why would they allow a foreign company to dictate to them about their own channel!?! :huh: I think ERT should get their act together and clear up the mess that is ERT World- who exactly owns the distribution rights for this channel, if anyone?!

This explains why its FTA in some areas and a pay channel in others (North America) and also why Dish Network apparently thinks they have the distribution rights for North America. Actually I think they do have the rights, given to them by someone at ERT then someone else at ERT comes out and denies that. Government run businesses- ya gotta love em ;) :LOL:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived