Phantis Forums

Alter Globe back on Dish?

Was reading Satleo this morning and noticed it said Alter Globe is on Echostar 1 as shown here with the rest of the Dish channels ? http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish148.html

I have a feeling this might be a mistake. This frequency doesn't appear to be used by Dish, and plus of the three channels Directv carries, this is by far the least likely Dish would have gone after. Then again, these are Greek managers, so you never know. :LOL:

A recent study of ratings done for ERT's Odyssey show this week had the numbers for viewership in North America; ERT was first with something like 66%, ANTENNA was in the low 50s, and Mega had almost half of ANTENNA's ratings, ALPHA even lower (maybe even a single digit). When I was watching the show I was hoping that they would also have them on the ERT website, but I hadn't seen them yet. But I believe for ANTENNA they also counted viewership from all the cable networks, not just DISH. Is ERT carried by any cable networks in NY?

LyngSat is not all that reliable IMO, up until recently they still had listings for Dish's 121 satellite. Dishnet removed the Internationals from that satellite a long time ago. In this case the info is also wrong, Dish is in the process of removing all channels from their 148 satellite. Apparently there is some problem with it and it is going to be decommissioned soon. ANT1 and ERT World were removed a couple of weeks ago along with other Internationals.

Interesting note on the ratings, in hindsight it looks like MEGA's move to DirecTV has backfired on them. ANT1 and ERT are by far the most popular networks so the other channels should have stayed on Dish where they would have had better numbers ratings wise and subscription wise. It would be interesting to know what subscriber numbers are like for the Greek channels on DirecTV, I think they are not that good especially with the state of the economy. I wonder if any of these channels would pull out of North America if their revenues do not meet expectations?!

I hope all the channels do come back to Dish. I never thought Greek people would go for the let's get 2 dishes combo.

As for the popularity of Ert Sat and Antenna as long as their is sports(ie soccer basket)

on those channels. People will stick to them

• 1 month later...

Probably not the appropriate thread, but has anyone else noticed the English-language telemarketing ad on Alter Globe recently? Seems kind of odd that it would be on a Greek channel, and on Alter Globe for that matter. Did the advertisers for that commercial see that much viewership on Alter Globe to warrant picking Alter Globe out of all of the other Greek channels?

From Dish Network.

Effective Friday, July 31, 2009, DISH Network regrets that customers will be losing their local programming and some public interest programming due to the decommission of the satellite at 148.0 W .

International channels moved off 148 to 118. Dish has been pushing 118 for Int'l for almost a year now.

DKSat

What does this have to do with Alter Globe or Greek TV in general?!

On another note, lots of changes are afoot at Alter, several people (on air talent) have recently quit or have been fired. Looks like a major shake up coming to the schedule, I wonder what this means for Alter Globe?! This channel sucks, there are only a few good shows on it IMO, I don't even know why they bother with an international channel- I guess its a money grab since they probably think people in the diaspora will watch anything Greek. :rolleyes:

On Kolossos first post he said that he read at Satleo that Alter Globe is broadcasting on Echostar 1 at 148.0 w satellite .

I just came from my in laws that live in San Francisco and i check Echostar 1 at 148 and there was no Alter Globe there.

On July 31 Dish Network press release was about Echostar 1 at 148 decommission.

DKSat

Archived